• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
If this is a true story from Polaris.......its proof they screwed up.

And I would NOT Loctite a bearing in a crankcase other then an absolute last resort.

And NEVER both sides.

Why don't they just fix it the right way?........ I know why.... BEAN COUNTERS !!

Dan

Why not machine the case to fit bearings in proper locations in the first place?
What am I missing?

jdrmx

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2013
Eastern SD
Loctite indead is a bandaid. You should never have to loctite a internal engine component, other than maybe some bolts. It would be to expensive for them to fix it correctly at this point. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Add my buddy to the list.

On our last trip out west one of my buddies who has a new 850 had his stall on him while wide open on a side hill. We were able to get it started and it ran great for another 1.5 days til we left. It didn't loose any RPM. Ran like a top.

Not sure what happened my buddy called the dealer once we were home and explained it to them. They said thats not right bring it in. So I believe it went in last Friday. So they put in on the digital wrench, did compression check and couldn't find anything wrong. So they called Polaris. Polaris said rip the engine down. So they did and found 2 scored pistons andoverheated rings. So Polaris is sending new pistons, rings, and cylinders. Should have it back by Friday. We asked about the crank. They crank was still on center, never moved and never spun. No issues there.

My thoughts are, on this sled the cylinder wall hone finish was more like what Indy Dan saw. Rougher then he feels rings can live up to. Also, the crank was assembled properly with proper shim fixture. The 2 case halfs have a tight enough hold on the bearings that no movement happend.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Why not machine the case to fit bearings in proper locations in the first place?
What am I missing?

The case fits the bearings just fine....... What are you missing ?

I explained in great detail what the problem is and it has nothing to do with ( case fit bearings ).

When you read a tech post from me you have to really ( READ IT ) I explain exactly what the difference is between the old small block and this 850 motor and why the oil line is popping off..... and why it can suffer center bearing failure.

It’s about where the center seals are located..... in relation to the center bearing.

And where the center oil cavity over flow is located...... and what was used for a over flow fitting.

And where it drains ( or over flows to )

I really can’t believe how Much detail I have explained and how many people still don’t understand what’s wrong.

I even posted pictures.....:face-icon-small-sho

And why do we think the motor that ( GoBigParts ) posted had over heated rings & scored pistons ?

It’s a cylinder finish problem....... I am not guessing at the problems I mentioned.

These are problems that are obvious.

Frustrating

Sorry for getting testy !

Dan

Last edited:

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
each time you think this thread is dead it delivers something new!

Polaris is the best brand om the snow and.....off it! Love you all passionate owners for this forum with so much technical infos while others brands forums which I'm not gonna name are talking about but not only: purple kittens with a malformation, hot rubber of death on the best clutch ever designed..."cough" and of course how much hp you can pack into a dead kitty skin.

I'm sure Dan is not always right but you have to give him credit to post serious post like that with a business behind him he can't hide like us people. Don't stop! we need more honest people and people who stand behind their words.

sorry back to blown 840
About godaddy, I'm really surprised they ask the dealer to open the engine with only one reported odd behavior. I'm not arguing just surprised.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

I explained in great detail what the problem is and it has nothing to do with ( case fit bearings ).

When you read a tech post from me you have to really ( READ IT ) I explain exactly what the difference is between the old small block and this 850 motor and why the oil line is popping off..... and why it can suffer center bearing failure.

It’s about where the center seals are located..... in relation to the center bearing.

And where the center oil cavity over flow is located...... and what was used for a over flow fitting.

I really can’t believe how Much detail I have explained and how many people still don’t understand what’s wrong.

And why do we think the motor that ( GoBigParts ) posted had over heated rings & scored pistons ?

It’s a cylinder finish problem....... I am not guessing at the problems I mentioned.

Frustrating

Dan
Excuse my ignorance.
Machine a space for the bearing in layman's terms.
Currently the case has room for the bearing to slide toward and away from the crank.
If u 'machine a space' for the bearing. It will be just large enough for the bearing. Leaving zero space for the bearing to slide.
U would have a 'lip' on each side of the bearing, essentially holding it in place, similar to ur clip. U will have a set space away from the crank and on the other side , a space away from the seal.

This is not something u can do to the current cases but could with future cases.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming

Frustrating

Dan

Mafesto has been looking for a meme to reply To this post for hours. Lmao.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Excuse my ignorance.
Machine a space for the bearing in layman's terms.
Currently the case has room for the bearing to slide toward and away from the crank.
If u 'machine a space' for the bearing. It will be just large enough for the bearing. Leaving zero space for the bearing to slide.
U would have a 'lip' on each side of the bearing, essentially holding it in place, similar to ur clip. U will have a set space away from the crank and on the other side , a space away from the seal.

This is not something u can do to the current cases but could with future cases.

Thanks, this is where I was going as well.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
About godaddy, I'm really surprised they ask the dealer to open the engine with only one reported odd behavior. I'm not arguing just surprised.

Its actually "Go Big Parts" Well when it first locked up the pull rope would not free it. We let it sit a few minutes and used the clutch to free it up. That is not normal. I'm actually surprised it ran so good after that.

I have the best dealer in the world I think when it comes to warranty work. They always take care of us and at no charge. They do whats required. If Polaris asks for pictures they send them, If Polaris tells them to try something they do it.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
I have been following this very closely.. I have 80 miles and 16 hours, no fingers crossed obviously there is a issue .

I have noticed every verified engine failure has been met with a Engine Replacement and Zero Teardown!!

But I am not an expert and Paul's buddy is not my buddy so I have not personally seen or talked to dealer so it's not my .02

My dealer did have a Engine failure with Bay flooded by oil with locked up engine . Polaris sent Long Block and dealer installed . No updates after (2019 SKS 146 850)

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I have been following this very closely.. I have 80 miles and 16 hours, no fingers crossed obviously there is a issue .

I have noticed every verified engine failure has been met with a Engine Replacement and Zero Teardown!!

But I am not an expert and Paul's buddy is not my buddy so I have not personally seen or talked to dealer so it's not my .02

My dealer did have a Engine failure with Bay flooded by oil with locked up engine . Polaris sent Long Block and dealer installed . No updates after (2019 SKS 146 850)

Being it still ran and was more of a lock up maybe they just suspected pistons?

JAW

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2009
Kettle Falls, Steamboat Springs, CO

Not to get off topic but I have 200 miles and 8.5 hours on my 19 800. 80mi and 16 hours seems like a lot of hours for that few of miles? Wonder if my calibration is off? Any thoughts?

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Not to get off topic but I have 200 miles and 8.5 hours on my 19 800. 80mi and 16 hours seems like a lot of hours for that few of miles? Wonder if my calibration is off? Any thoughts?

Over the course of a season I average about 12 miles per hour of run time. That is about a 50/50 mix of 10 miles each way on the trail doing about 30mph and pure off trail for about 20 miles.

The more trail you ride the higher your average. With brand new sleds, lots of guys do heat cycles in the garage which run up hrs and not miles too.

Mine falls between your two examples. Chances are you are calibrated correctly. My 14 Pro did have the wrong speedo calibration found on some that year so you are correct to question it. I haven't heard of any of the newer sleds having the issue some of the 14s did though.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota

Do you do a lot of trail to get to where you ride? It makes a big difference if you have to ride 30 miles of trail to get to the mountain. I've been riding in Cooke this week- very little trail ride to open snow- and have been warming it up extremely well to let the internals heat and expand, 140ish miles and 12ish hours

Edit. - Answered twice already while I was typing, go snowest!

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Avg mph gives a good idea of the load on the drivetrain.
Higher avg = more trail, high speed low stress.
Lower avg = more off trail higher loads more stress on drivetrain.

Real low means u let the sled sit and idle half the day. If u average 5mph, something is wrong with calibration or ur not riding.

I see more 18-25mph avg than 12-15mph avg.

Everyone has there own idea on what 'hard riding ' is.

Avg mph gives a better idea than ones own opinion. Avg over 1,000 miles gives a better representation than the first 100 miles due to heat cycles and breakin.

JAW

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2009
Kettle Falls, Steamboat Springs, CO
Thanks for the responses. I also thought 5mph seemed low. Break in mode on the 8 hundo is at 18 hours. Doesn’t seem like I can rack them up fast enough! The 19 800 is a ripper! At least 15 more HP over the the 18:face-icon-small-coo

All joking aside sorry to hear about the guys who have had failures on their new rides. Hopefully will everyone will get their chance to enjoy sledding this season.

Sorry to hi jack the thread for a minute. Back to the original thread topic!

Premium Features