• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dealer Invoice - Spring Check vs In-season

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
My company has a corporate discount with a dealership where they base the price off invoice. I inquired about an 850 and they said MSRP is $100 above Invoice. Does that sound right to anybody? I realize dealers don't make MUCH on the sleds themselves but $100 of profit doesn't seem like it would keep the lights on or be worth a dealers time. I realize the sleds are a bit more customized than in-season models but I have a tough time believing it adds a couple grand to the final price. I don't need specific numbers. Just want to know how different invoice pricing is in-season vs spring check.

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
All dealers I been to have the 100 above cost line I go with a dealer I like and like my business I can say I get better snowcheck deals than inseason unless massive rebates come out which is polaris issue ruining our values down not dealer

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Ive never had anyone quote a price only 100.00 under MSRP. Maybe this is something new they are doing with the 850's. Might be do to the 4yr warranty deal.

Call some other dealers, ask about pricing options. Many times you can choose the standard 1yr warranty and be able to take another 500-1000 off depending on the year/deals.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
i'd go for a minimum of 2000.00 off MSRP, if not more. We have got better pricing than that actually quite a few times, invoice really does not tell you anything anymore.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
My company has a corporate discount with a dealership where they base the price off invoice. I inquired about an 850 and they said MSRP is $100 above Invoice. Does that sound right to anybody? I realize dealers don't make MUCH on the sleds themselves but $100 of profit doesn't seem like it would keep the lights on or be worth a dealers time. I realize the sleds are a bit more customized than in-season models but I have a tough time believing it adds a couple grand to the final price. I don't need specific numbers. Just want to know how different invoice pricing is in-season vs spring check.

That could be close depending on the manufacturer holdback.

So dealers are invoiced a base price plus freight plus the hold back (just like cars).

On a $14,000 MSRP sled, the sled base price might be like $12,300 plus $500 freight plus $800 hold back so they get invoiced for $13,600. Once they register the sled, they get the $800 back, so if they somehow sold the sled for full MSRP they made $1200.

There is not much money to be made. If they get the hold back they are pretty happy. Many dealers eat into that as well.

Trust me when I say no dealer is getting rich selling snowmobiles. They might make more profit selling you a cover, spare belt, skid plate and a muffler.

Keep in mind most brands offer a rebate late season which might be $500-$2000.

Also, most of the snowchecks offer a free gear and accessories option for X dollars. If you can get $750 in accessories, the dealer probably gets a $400 credit to cover that. They might just take that off the snowcheck price and omit the gear and accessories.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
There's more than $100 at full MSRP, but there genuinely isn't much money in them...even less with the discounts/free stuff people expect. I work at a power sports dealer....but I would never own a powersports dealership. More work than an automotive dealer, and a fraction of the profits.

The over supply issue screws up everyone's head on profits. Often on the hold-over sled (non-current in season) there will look like a $3,000 to $4,000 discount, so many people assume there was that much profit to begin with....or more, because people think you're still doing ok at whatever price. In reality....to get to the pricing you see on many non-current sleds, it would be typical to have a $1,500 ish rebate in play, plus all of your profit, plus go another $1,000+ in the ditch. Just round numbers, but you get the jist. Then pray you sell enough financing, accessories and gear to come out even or (gasp) ahead.

Premium Features