• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LED headlights

F

fishstick

Banned
Oct 4, 2014
Has anyone tried any? IF so what brand did you go with? I've been looking at getting a set. But holy smoke theres a lot to chose from. No idea what good or bad

thanks

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Make sure that your headlight circuit produces pure DC current (most sleds don't)

... otherwise, you are looking for a more involved project than you may have bargained for.

LED's will NOT run on AC current... which is what powers most sleds that already have Halogen (bulbs with filaments, traditional bulbs).

MH.

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Has anyone tried any? IF so what brand did you go with? I've been looking at getting a set. But holy smoke theres a lot to chose from. No idea what good or bad

thanks

Most guys I know just swap the stock bulbs for the Superstar Ultra Bulbs and run them. It's a nice light up grade in light and it's plug and play.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Most guys I know just swap the stock bulbs for the Superstar Ultra Bulbs and run them. It's a nice light up grade in light and it's plug and play.

Are you referring to the Sylvania SILVERStar-Ultra bulbs?? (halogen bulbs)

38f6d096-6834-49e3-a44e-8c7692a67781_1.17165593f32f80bf72dc4ba6f8baf9a8.jpeg

F

fishstick

Banned
Oct 4, 2014
I put a set of LED's off of eBay can't remember the brand, into my truck. They work freekin amazing. Figured Id see if anyone knew of a actual trusted brand or model. Most LED's come with a rectifier kind of thing(don't know the proper terminology) to keep the dash codes away and stabilize the power going to the led.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I put a set of LED's off of eBay can't remember the brand, into my truck. They work freekin amazing. Figured Id see if anyone knew of a actual trusted brand or model. Most LED's come with a rectifier kind of thing(don't know the proper terminology) to keep the dash codes away and stabilize the power going to the led.

Most of the LED kits have a ballast OR a voltage regulator... but do not have a rectifier circuit with them to convert AC to DC....

As a note...99% of all automobiles have DC lighting circuits.

You can make a rectifier circuit... but it will need to be pretty stable to keep the LED's lit and not burn them out.

F

fishstick

Banned
Oct 4, 2014
ok, but my truck and sled use the exact same bulb H4(9003) it doesn't seem to have any issues when in either the truck or sled.

F

fishstick

Banned
Oct 4, 2014
Im no electrician but I do know the difference between AC and DC. I cant see the bulb working with both.
Either way Im not running any LED's yet. Just trying to get some info. Ive seen lots of guys over on DT say there running LED's form a variety of vendors with out any issue. But theses are primarily trail guys.

Premium Features