• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trouble removing wrap adhesive.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
So this year I am borrowing my wife's old sled from my father in law, and it has a pink wrap so I'm removing it. I started with the headlights and the adhesive is an absolute bitch to get off, I can't make any headway on it at all. I have 3m adhesive remover, Goo Gone, and a cheap chemical guys adhesive remover, and can't get it off at all. Is it possible the adhesive has etched the lenses over time?

I used to detail cars in college so I'm usually pretty good with this stuff, but I'm at a loss. I tried heat, a polisher, and even extra fine steel wool but it looks like I haven't even touched it still. Not really wanting to continue removing the wrap if it'll all look like this underneath, but I can kinda see the heat from the headlights causing the issue so maybe the rest of it will be fine? Any other recommendations/products/methods anyone would recommend?

20230127_172943.jpg 20230127_172948.jpg

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Okay I tried a different section. Of the sled, all the adhesive was left behind but it came off fairly easily with just goo gone. Something definitely happened with the headlights that basically ruined the lenses

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Use grease and wax remover. Strong enough to soften adhesive but won't soften plastic lens on light. Might have to use a compound on lens after you're done. On the body, switch to lacquer thinner to remove adhesive. Get rag damp and it will remove that quick. Just don't saturate the panel. Good luck!

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Use grease and wax remover. Strong enough to soften adhesive but won't soften plastic lens on light. Might have to use a compound on lens after you're done. On the body, switch to lacquer thinner to remove adhesive. Get rag damp and it will remove that quick. Just don't saturate the panel. Good luck!
Thanks! Never dealt with such a heavy duty adhesive before, definitely not easy to get it off.

F

fltrsei97

Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
You might try a heat gun or hair dryer. The wrap should come right off with a bit of heat. The adhesive will probably stay.

Premium Features