• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 M8 Dies

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Buddy has an 08 m8 that will sparatically die like someone turned the key off. Doesnt do it all the time but yesterday it was bad. Would start it run anywhere from 10seconds to 10min. After it dies wait a minute or 2 starts right back up like nothing. Any ideas on what to look for?

R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
Good day. Check ignition wires are not touching pipe behind the key. Seen 3 sleds doing the same thing the other day.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
A guy in my riding group bought a new 08 M8. Same problem. The dealer changed the whole wiring harness, and It hasn't done it since.

D

Diesel

Nov 26, 2007
My guess is that this sled still has the heat shield below the Y-pipe. Take the shield off and look at the wires on the injectors. I bet you have one wore through and as you are riding it will ground out and die. When it cools down the wire will move a little and it fires up. Happened to 2 of my sleds.

rcr1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Spring Creek NV
Any new word on his sled? Mine does the same thing so far I can't track it down. Stator test's good unplugged just about everything and tested it. Checked wiring under the tank and everywhere else I could see.

R

RMOD800

Nov 18, 2008
Mine did the same thing. It turned out to be a plug in the wiring harness that would rub the pipe heat shield and short out. Once the plug wasn't touching the heat shield, (rocking, moving or wiggling the sled or harness) it would start and run fine. It is a two receptacle plug that is part of the main wiring harness that runs to the headlight/gauge pod. Don't know what it's for. There is nothing plugged into it. It is in the wiring harness directly behind the pipe shield (the heat shield that is horizontal that is fastened to the shelf to the left side of the pipe as you are sitting on the sled). Dealer taped the plug and it quit sending injector codes and didn't have any additional problems dying or starting.

Since that was fixed, I lost compression and it's at the dealer.:(

Premium Features