• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heads up for husky owners

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
I have a 17 fe 501 and a fc 450. Both have mugura slave cylinder and both have taken a dump. The slave cylinder is made for mineral oil and is installed with dot 4 or 5 brake fluid. Someone at ktm f-ed up and no one is correcting this. When it goes bad it dumped the brake fluid into your motor oil....this is not good. Go to thumpertalk and read up on it before it ruins your day and motor. Brake fluid does your seals NO GOOD in your motor. Brembo are a update or the clu 1000 from Oberon. Hope this helps...

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
what's the fix?

swapping to a whole Brembo clutch set-up?

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
From what I have found you can either buy a slave off a ktm or order one from oberon. The Oberon is a cheaper option and I ordered it wednesday morning and it is going to be delivered by friday afternoon. This was ordered from the uk. Amazing.

C
Nov 21, 2017
Rekluse also makes a replacement slave cylinder for your bikes, it’s included when you buy one of their kits. It’s supposed to be very well made, not sure if it’s available by itself though, I don’t see it listed for sale on their website.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Try dot5 silicone fluid. it works in both types of cylinder without seal damage and is high heat. it's not quite as crisp as dot5.1 or dot4 but works well. I use that in my magura master left hand rear brake setups for my woods bikes without issues.

T

tube

Dec 3, 2007
Stony plain
From what I have found you can either buy a slave off a ktm or order one from oberon. The Oberon is a cheaper option and I ordered it wednesday morning and it is going to be delivered by friday afternoon. This was ordered from the uk. Amazing.

The parts numbers don't match (on the oberon site)for the replacements, are you sure its the one we need for 16-17 450's?

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Try dot5 silicone fluid. it works in both types of cylinder without seal damage and is high heat. it's not quite as crisp as dot5.1 or dot4 but works well. I use that in my magura master left hand rear brake setups for my woods bikes without issues.

That stuff is air bubble central. I hated it. Even just pouring it created so many tiny bubbles my brakes always had a sponge feel to them.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Word now on the ktmtalk site is you can buy the brembo guts and replace them in the magura slave cylinder for the cheapest fix.

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Yes if you go to Oberon site and put in your bike under husqvarna clu 1000 comes up. Installed Friday and had a great day Saturday in the snow

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I just found a positive on my Yamy cable clutch :face-icon-small-blu never have issues with fluids. Thats about it though.

Ha agreed.

Glad I have a ktm and a Yamaha.

(Bleeding clutches sucks big time)
Even with the pressure back bleed system. (Better than nothing)

S
Feb 20, 2017
Mine failed also. What about the ktm450sx slave cylinder. It’s $78 . Anyone know if this will be a fix? Different part # and $100 less then the one on my fe450.

Premium Features