• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is an all new YAMAHA FACTORY TURBO VIPER on the horizon??

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
They are not made up, they are straight from the AK Yamaha dealers. I really don't care if you want to believe them or not. It is obvious that regardless of the facts you choose not to believe anything that is not Pro-Yamaha anyway.

i think he mite have a bit more insiide info than you:face-icon-small-win
why do you even come in the yammi section.you have nothing usfull or good to say & as you have said befor you wouldnt ride one if it was given to yah.:face-icon-small-sho

B
Dec 5, 2010
I would like nothing more than a factory built turbo from yamaha. I think the current option is ok but what happens is people are buying sleds from dealers that don't know what they are doing or talking about. So, they buy a turbo from dealerships that don't ride them, know a proper setup, and how to troubleshoot if there is a issue. We have already seen customers get screwed over because a dealer told them if they throw a inter cooler and gauges on it he will have 270hp, when all he has is a expensive 180 kit. Hopefully this doesn't happen from all dealers but it is happening, and from multiple dealers. If yamaha wants to offer a turbo option, make it at the factory whatever factory that may be. Oh and get rid of the gems controller, they are garbage and I'm tired of replacing them, it's 2015 and there is no reason that crap needs to be on our $16k sleds!

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
They are not made up, they are straight from the AK Yamaha dealers. I really don't care if you want to believe them or not. It is obvious that regardless of the facts you choose not to believe anything that is not Pro-Yamaha anyway.

I don't know Loudhandle, I think Drew may have a little better idea of how many sleds he's sold than you do.

If you got your information straight from the Alaska Yamaha dealers, you forgot to check with the biggest dealer in the state.

I don't know who you spoke to that claimed to represent all of the Yamaha dealers in the state, but I'd go with Drew's numbers before some drunk at the Pipeline Club that happened to be wearing a Yamaha jacket.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Sled sales are seasonal at best.....The east coast had a banner year and as a result saw increased sled sales.....While the mountain states out west continue to suffer from a lack of snow sled sales also remain flat out west as a result.

Mountain sleds regardless of how deep the snow can get only makes up a tiny percentage of overall sled sales.

2 stroke or 4 stroke the point is kinda mute at this point Sleds in all segments have there place with that said all our 2 & 4 stroke sleds ran flawless this year.

DPG

C
Nov 29, 2008
There are some assembly things on the Viper that absolutely DRIVE ME NUTS. Just try to take the hood off on top of the mountain and you will know what I am talking about instantly. That was a SIMPLE task on a Nytro.

Hood removal on Phazer / Nytro was / is horrendous! Phazer has three different types of fasteners on side panels alone!

Cannot see why Yamaha doesn't borrow from other divisions to create the absolute best products - much greater R&D than other 3 OEM's combined! They should be leaving the others behind yet the opposite is true ....someone / people in corporate need to get their heads out of their asses!

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
270hp PUMP GAS?

Man, that really is asking a lot from 91 octane...

That is what the MCX is supposed to be making on pump. 17lbs boost with head shim. I have to assume there might be some timing being pulled also.

Is there a elevation requirement with the MCX 270 kit? I could see it possible with the high elevation MTX sled, but not with the sea level guys...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hood removal on Phazer / Nytro was / is horrendous! Phazer has three different types of fasteners on side panels alone!

Cannot see why Yamaha doesn't borrow from other divisions to create the absolute best products - much greater R&D than other 3 OEM's combined! They should be leaving the others behind yet the opposite is true ....someone / people in corporate need to get their heads out of their asses!

Phazer was HORRIBLENESS.
But getting the hood off the Nytro was EASYGOING by comparison.

And why Yamaha isn't bringing their FULL TECHNICAL SKILLS to bear on sledding is unknown to me. They could OWN the market if they wanted to.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So the contract between Cat and Yamaha has not been renewed as per the west coast Yamaha rep as of two weeks ago. When does the current contract expire? I thought he said in two years?

I seriously doubt that.
Yamaha and Cat seem to be getting closer and not further apart.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That is what the MCX is supposed to be making on pump. 17lbs boost with head shim. I have to assume there might be some timing being pulled also.

Is there a elevation requirement with the MCX 270 kit? I could see it possible with the high elevation MTX sled, but not with the sea level guys...

Using a head shim changes the equation.
I was speaking of an unmodified engine.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Press release regarding the new R1 motor:

The 2015 R1 sticks with the inline 4-cylinder, 998cc engine of its predecessors, and likewise uses the crossplane crankshaft from the last generation R1. It’ll put out 200 horses before high-speed ram air is accounted for, as well as 112.4 Nm (82.9 ft-lbs) of torque. The crossplane layout made the previous R1 torquey to the point of excess in the lower rev ranges, so this thing will move.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
Press release regarding the new R1 motor:

The 2015 R1 sticks with the inline 4-cylinder, 998cc engine of its predecessors, and likewise uses the crossplane crankshaft from the last generation R1. It’ll put out 200 horses before high-speed ram air is accounted for, as well as 112.4 Nm (82.9 ft-lbs) of torque. The crossplane layout made the previous R1 torquey to the point of excess in the lower rev ranges, so this thing will move.

Wow, that would be a kick.

Premium Features