• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what mods to do to go to mountains

C
Mar 3, 2010
So I'm a prairie boy who needed to by a mountain sled for the one weekend a year I get to go to the mountains. I have a bone stock 2010 m8, is there any suggestions as to setup I should do. I am going to Revelstoke and will buy the appropriate weights, but I'm going with a couple doo guys and if I don't at least keep up I'll never hear the end of it. I was thinking of doing the geo mod as around here suspension is key and frankly it rides like a rock, but will it help with climbing? I'm leaving in a couple weeks and have high hopes for the m8, the last couple of years I took my 05-F7 and while it impressed me what a ditch banger could do, it wasn't enough for what I want to do.

thanks for any input

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
crash, there is quite a few things you need to do and you can do them all yourself in a couple of afternoons. i will give you a list but its gonna take me a minute. you can get by w/ o the geo mod but it would work better no matter where you where you ride. i am beat from riding today (small slide into the only three trees on the hill) so i am gonna get back to you in the am. pm me if you want and i'll give you my two cents.

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Mods??

Here's my $.02 after going out 2 weeks ago with 2 new M8's(153 and 162) The stock clutching is for high elevation so you currently have low elevation kit I'm assuming. Go back to what came with sled(high elevation). Put on some "Frog Skins" and take off the windshield. IMO that's more than enough. The 162 set-up as above was running perfect. 8,100 all day everywhere. The 153 was my daughters and did everything she asked of it. If your used to an F7 shorty you will be "all eyes" when you see where the M8 has taken you. As for the Doo's.....unless their turboed I doubt they will be kickin you around at all. Pretty sure you will be driving yours back to the parking lot too. There has been some talk on here lately about tracks stabbing so it may be a good idea to check that out. Seems like the single-ply track will stretch out fairly quickly compared to the Challenger.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
bring a rope

so u can pull the doo's back to the hotel, seriously though the 2010 m8 is pretty good right out of the gate. can port track, i recommend a 1- 1.5 " hole behind each paddle in the center section, stay on the throttle and enjoy,

Apr 21, 2008
So I'm a prairie boy who needed to by a mountain sled for the one weekend a year I get to go to the mountains. I have a bone stock 2010 m8, is there any suggestions as to setup I should do. I am going to Revelstoke and will buy the appropriate weights, but I'm going with a couple doo guys and if I don't at least keep up I'll never hear the end of it. I was thinking of doing the geo mod as around here suspension is key and frankly it rides like a rock, but will it help with climbing? I'm leaving in a couple weeks and have high hopes for the m8, the last couple of years I took my 05-F7 and while it impressed me what a ditch banger could do, it wasn't enough for what I want to do.

thanks for any input

Make sure you ticghten your track after each ride if you haven't ridden it much, put in the stock clutching and enjoy.

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Should have no problem running with any Doos unless they are modded. Spent a day out west on my dad's 2010 M8 162, all stock except for an hps can. They are great sleds and the only way the Doos will put a whuppin on you is if they are better riders by a wide margin. Otherwise you will be just fine.

M7DingBat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2009
Alaska
As stated above....Keep It Simple Sucka'!!:face-icon-small-hap
Those things are brick **** houses right outta' the box.
Make sure your track is properly adjusted AND HAVE FUN!!!:whoo:

C
Nov 8, 2009
So I'm a prairie boy who needed to by a mountain sled for the one weekend a year I get to go to the mountains. I have a bone stock 2010 m8, is there any suggestions as to setup I should do.thanks for any input

Avy course, beacon practice, maybe avy pack. The snowpack in a lot of BC is fu$%^d right now, and will likely continue to be so for a while. www.avalanche.ca for info

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I have had 4 M sleds, have 1200 miles on my 2010 M8, put at least 100 miles on it before you go, they really wake up with miles, get rid of the black orange spring, lots of choices, but yellow white works fine,
soften the ski springs, soften the front skid shock, 140 pounds in rear shock, track loose, should hang down 3 inch's, under hood goggle bag, gas, oil and just have fun:whoo:

C
Mar 3, 2010
Wow, thanks for all the inputs, much appreciated! I probably should have mentioned my sled is the 2010 m8 153' le so it came with frog skins and it did come with the high elevation weights which I will put back in, I also have about 950 miles on it now so the track/motor are nicely stretched and broke in. I find I can't run the track much looser than 2.25" at 10 lbs or it ratchets when I'm in deeper snow. I was curious about primary clutch spring but not sure what the advantage is (little knowledge about clutching), with nearly 1000miles I thought I might be safe with the black one not breaking, but it is easier changing the spring in my garage than on the hill so I will do it, any other color recomendations? I've read yellow white is quite popular. I have an avalanch pack(beacon probe shovel etc...) I considered porting the track but most miles are around here and thought keeping the snow in my track on the trails would save my sliders a bit. Sorry about the long reply... btw I do have a great towrope for pulling the doo's home :face-icon-small-hap

M
Mar 7, 2008
stock - the M8 needs nothing!
if only ride powder infrequently, and assuming you find some good powder to ride in, then your skills will be the limiting factor not that sled! those sleds are set up great completely stock for powder/mountain riding IMO!

T
Jan 9, 2010
EC ND
I would put on the anti stab kit. $80. seems like cheap insurance from stabbing the track and doing $1000 damage and ruining a good trip. There are posts with some bad experiences and when we installed our kits the scuffs and scratches were over 1/2 way up on the front of the rail tips. other than that put on an mbrp can and let er buck!!

P
Nov 27, 2007
Humboldt, Iowa
I would put on the anti stab kit. $80. seems like cheap insurance from stabbing the track and doing $1000 damage and ruining a good trip. There are posts with some bad experiences and when we installed our kits the scuffs and scratches were over 1/2 way up on the front of the rail tips. other than that put on an mbrp can and let er buck!!
X2!!!!!!! I feel this is one of the most important things that needs to be done. No worries after one of these have been installed.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
clutcging

One of the biggest gains is from clutching.
I personaly do,not like the y/w the reason peps use that is the only way they know how to soften the engagement . I do a kit for 6-9 that works good . The stock works good but there is more to gain with helix,primary spring, and weight change.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
track port

If your buddies have those doo's with ported track you will not have any worries you will walk all over them. One of my most popular aftermarket product we sell is a track port fix kit. It is designed to block the port holes and let's them float vs trenching guys have seen as much as 200 years on a hill. That porting might be good for cleaning out track on trails but its even better for filling it in deep snow.

Wow, thanks for all the inputs, much appreciated! I probably should have mentioned my sled is the 2010 m8 153' le so it came with frog skins and it did come with the high elevation weights which I will put back in, I also have about 950 miles on it now so the track/motor are nicely stretched and broke in. I find I can't run the track much looser than 2.25" at 10 lbs or it ratchets when I'm in deeper snow. I was curious about primary clutch spring but not sure what the advantage is (little knowledge about clutching), with nearly 1000miles I thought I might be safe with the black one not breaking, but it is easier changing the spring in my garage than on the hill so I will do it, any other color recomendations? I've read yellow white is quite popular. I have an avalanch pack(beacon probe shovel etc...) I considered porting the track but most miles are around here and thought keeping the snow in my track on the trails would save my sliders a bit. Sorry about the long reply... btw I do have a great towrope for pulling the doo's home :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features