• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can a person really "boondock" on a TNytro?

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
Alright guys, pump gas turbo M8 guy here. I've always had a weakness for turbo 4 stroke yami's. I've talked myself into needing a Nytro asap lol.
I ride a bit of everything, currently on a 153" track, but hoping a guy could still do some fun stuff on a 162 under the Nytro.

Of course id want to try the odd chute, just because i'm weak when it comes to peer pressure, but it woudnt be its main job. With a 240-270 kit with a 162 and some decent suspension make a real good all around sled, while still being capable of getting a guy into places he doesnt really want to be? haha

I really should try and ride one sometime, but just get nervous toucing other peoples stuff these days. Just looking for some comments and opinions!

Thanks guys, Brian

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
Not gonna lie cscherer, your sled is one of the ones i really like!

Not trying to be a smart *** with my origional post though either. Just trying to figure out if a guy could put the power down with a 162 setup all in all i guess.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Not gonna be as easy as your M8 plain and simple really no way around it. They are heavier and the chasis makes it hard to hold a side hill. They seem to always want to just go straight up or down. The Skinz or Zbroz forward mounting A arms are supposed to help with that though.

You'll love the power of the 4 stroke though I ride with a pump gas M8 and it's not even comparable to my TNytro.

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
if your interested ? i have 2 turbo nytro's for sale one is new 2012 with a impulse turbo system 270 hp on 91 octane 162 skin's front suspension... the other is a 2011 153 with a 180 hp push turbo..one thing you need to consider is these hp numbers are at elevation 10,000 plus feet.. your m8 is putting out about 100 hp at 10,000 feet..

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
Hmm guess I better try to find one to try out the. I have rode most of the other brand sleds and can make most of them sidehill well, except the older xp... That thing had other plans for me lol.
Sure there is more weight, I'm cool with that as long as a guy can still throw it around, make it lay over in that time of need, etc!

And even if my pump gas M8 is only 100 horse at 9psi at elevation... It still works alright :)

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I would highly recommend Skinz front end. For boondocking its a must. You can lay your nytro over and side hill with ease.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hmm guess I better try to find one to try out the. I have rode most of the other brand sleds and can make most of them sidehill well, except the older xp... That thing had other plans for me lol.
Sure there is more weight, I'm cool with that as long as a guy can still throw it around, make it lay over in that time of need, etc!

And even if my pump gas M8 is only 100 horse at 9psi at elevation... It still works alright :)

The Nytro and XP are one in same IMO. Very very similiar chassis and handling characteristics

apex jeff

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
columbia falls mt
Alright guys, pump gas turbo M8 guy here. I've always had a weakness for turbo 4 stroke yami's. I've talked myself into needing a Nytro asap lol.
I ride a bit of everything, currently on a 153" track, but hoping a guy could still do some fun stuff on a 162 under the Nytro.

Of course id want to try the odd chute, just because i'm weak when it comes to peer pressure, but it woudnt be its main job. With a 240-270 kit with a 162 and some decent suspension make a real good all around sled, while still being capable of getting a guy into places he doesnt really want to be? haha

I really should try and ride one sometime, but just get nervous toucing other peoples stuff these days. Just looking for some comments and opinions!

Thanks guys, Brian

Hey Brian; I ride a push nytro and before that a s/c vector and a 174 apex. We ride in nw montana. The terrain here is primarily trees and drainages to access basins and honey holes. Boondocking is a must if you want to get to the good stuff.

Reliability is the reason I stick with yammies, I may not be the big dog every day, but I ride EVERY DAY!:face-icon-small-hap

M
Jan 14, 2004
It completely depends on how you set up your sled. I have mine set up super loose strictly as a boondocker with the occasional climb in there, people get on my sled and put it on its side within the first 100 yards, it tips that easy. I've ridden lots and lots of Nytros, some are awesome and some guys just don't understand the chassis and have them set up so they suck. Really there's a night and day difference with setup. Here's some vids of my MCX 240, we ride way tighter stuff then this but it'll give you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzWM3jDmvpA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

M5

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
m5-

Have you ever posted how you have your chassis setup? Curious if you have a link to the different settings / adjustments you have made.

M

MEAT

Sep 13, 2008
Castlegar, B.C.
Sorry Brian I should have given you a demo on the Apex while we were up the Norns. I can get an Apex through the trees suprisingly well, so I think you will have no problem doing the same on a Nytro.

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
I just rode my T-APE for the first time last Monday in IP. I was very surprised at how well it handled some tight tree work. I was sidehilling and doing 360's almost as easily as I did on my XP. Yes it feels pretty heavy on the trail/hard snow. But in the trees and pow, I was blown away:jaw: Im 6'3" and 230lbs and part Neanderthal so that helps. I used to bash the big Yammies just like everyone else. But, now that I've ridden one, I will glady eat crow and take it all back! I will say what everyone else says.................that motor under boost is UNREAL:scared:

Last edited:
M

MEAT

Sep 13, 2008
Castlegar, B.C.
I just rode my T-APE for the first time last Monday in IP. I was very surprised at how well it handled some tight tree work. I was sidehilling and doing 360's almost as easily as I did on my XP. Yes it feels pretty heavy on the trail/hard snow. But in the trees and pow, I was blown away:jaw: Im 6'3" and 230 and part Neanderthal so that helps. I used to bash the big Yammies just like everyone else. But, now that I've ridden one, I will glady eat crow and take it all back! I will say what everyone else says.................that motor under boost is UNREAL:scared:

I think they handle very well, part of the reason they come over so easy is the high center of gravity. I can side hill mine and do the down hill U turns very easily. Just like any other sled it takes time to find the balance and proper throttle control to make it do what you want. I cant ride an XP for the life of me because I havent had enough time on one. I would never say they dont handle or work because I watch my buddies throw em around and make it look easy.

Coxy:
There all good sleds and some do things better than others. In the end ride one and then make the decision and after a short time you will be doing things you didnt think were possible on a 4 stroke.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Same question, M5. can you post or send a PM with how you set yours up.
New to the Nytro & find mine very stiff with current settins.

Mines an 08 and built primarily for boondocking. I can climb with it pretty well but it is a wheelie machine. Here's my theory right or wrong it works for me so thats all I care about. These are just my thoughts of how I do it I'm not here to start anymore debates, god only knows we've seen enough of those of late (read here I don't really care if someone thinks I'm wrong).

If you are building a chute climber you don't want a wheelie machine BUT if you want a sled that will dial on a dime and not try to always go straight then you want the wheelie beast. Think about this if you have your sled right on its side and I mean like right over and you light up the turbo what happens? If its a point and shoot it stands up and comes out of the turn and wants to go in a straight line even when you apply a lot of counter steer and get your weight back but if its a wheelie sled as it tries to pull up the nose ie wheelie the sled actually tightens the radius of your turn by driving the nose around as it kicks the a$$ end out which is very easy to control with throttle, counter steer and foot pressure. Very rarely do I ever take my feet out of the stirups riding, I just lock my feet in and let my legs do the hanging on. I love the Nytro stirups sometimes my feet get bruised I use them so much.

I run the stock 08 mountain front end with no sway bar and the cheap a$$ stock Yami shocks cranked up all the way. On the back I am running an M8 float skid 162, so far of the sleds I've tried I don't really care for the 174 track, its not for me. The sled rides like a turnip truck on the trail its absolutely brutal but I couldn't give a rats a$$ about that cause once I'm in the apline its absoulutely effortless to ride it just flat out works for me. I've ridden every combination out there of skids front ends turbo systems and there aren't any that I like any better once we reach the goods, if there was I'd already have it on my sled. Every other Nytro I've ridden is better on the trail than mine so there you go. Everything is a trade off. My buddies Zbroz +1/Easyride would be my second choice, it rides unreal on the trail and handles well in the alpine.

I like a low seat mostly for eating lunch. I hate fat skis they ruin the handling, stockers are best, stockers suck on the trail, who cares. I like rear mounts for the weight balance, the Impulse setup is about the same weight balance wise but I hate the tank seat combo, I'd like to try the Motelyone setup sometime it looks way better not like riding a barrell. Trail tanks belong as the name implies on the trail. Super chargers belong on the trail with the trail tank. Setting up a boondocker that won't wear you out is all about balance. extra fuel goes out back where it belongs, the Nytro can ill afford another ounce up front.

What works for me may not be what you like. You can't expect to have some one like me or anyone else tell you what will work for you, you need to find that out for yourself by experimenting, the main point here is the a turbo Nytro will boondock with anything out there, you just need to work through the variables and set up what works for YOU.

M5

Last edited:
M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
hey m5, how bout the skid shocks? just curious how you have them set. mine are still stock, 08 :face-icon-small-sad so i think i can only play with the front and its cranked. no real problems handling it. wondering how great of an improvement removing the sway bar really is. i dont think its a good idea to just unhook one side and leave it dangling like i have seen,(even for a test run with my luck) so if i do it, im going through the trouble of doing right, and permanent. it sounds like we have the same opinion of riding type, and it sounds like you may have a few years on me with a sled. any input is appreciated. thanks.

...and ya i know everybodys first advice is new skid and im working on it.

Premium Features