• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Handheld GPS/two-way radio for snowmobiling?

E

Einar74

Oct 20, 2009
Iceland
Just like the title says what is the best unit?

I was going to go for the Garmin Rino 650 on the $349 deal at Cabelas. But it was sold out before I why was ready to buy.
After that I started to read more reviews and looking for deals. This unit seems to be getting mixed reviews and I am on both sides spending my money on one. best deal now I have found is $399

I found the 610 on amazon for $275 but that comes with less range on the radio and uses AA batteries that is a turn-off for me.

so what is the GPS to get. I just want to have something that is rock-solid any I can use for years.

thanks

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
What other brands are there?

The AA battery good point is you can just pop in new batteries if you find it low just before a ride.

I don't know this for a fact, but with rechargeable battery packs, I wouldn't be surprised that after a few years the battery life will keep getting less and less, as cell phones do.

M
Nov 15, 2009
Twin Lakes, Idaho
We use the Rino's (530 hcx & 655t) and they work great. Good range and the peer to peer positioning is awesome for keeping track of others in your group with Rino's. Very user friendly

Also next time cabelas is sold out have them do a search at other locations. You can order over the phone and if u are a club card holder they will ship to your home for free.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
Same as M7catgirl here, I have a 530hcx like a lot of my riding buds do and I just bought a brand new 655T on ebay for $480 it comes loaded with some topo maps. The polling feature alone makes these radios worth the coin. Press the call button and everyone that you are linked to knows exactly where to find you.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
I have a rino610 and love the fact of aa batteries. I used it every weekend all hunting season and every weekend riding up until now, and I just replaced the first set of batteries last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

Einar74

Oct 20, 2009
Iceland
I would think that having a rechargeble battery pack like on a cell phone that you can charge everywhere( even in the car) would be much better then having a AA batteries.

The store is not always around the corner in the mountains.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I would think that having a rechargeble battery pack like on a cell phone that you can charge everywhere( even in the car) would be much better then having a AA batteries.

The store is not always around the corner in the mountains.

neither is 110 for your charger............I try to carry items that use AA batteries so I can carry 1 type of spare batteries...........you do carry spare batteries I hope ??:typing:

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I have been looking at these rino units myself.

I came to the conclusion that I can pack a 5mile range Motorola two way and a etrex 20 for a heck of a lot less money, and when the radio quits working I throw it away and get a new one. Two of them for 40 bucks.

I really like the locating part of the package, but unless the other guy is keying his mic you still don't know where he is.

So for me and the boys we have settled in on a good GPS under $200 ($150) and a decent two way.

(PS we like to loose things and loosing a $500 piece of equipment isn't all that fun)

Thunder

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
the 520 and 530 are better handhelds imo. We have proven the polling feature to work 2x the distance with the older radios. And the older menu system is far easier to navigate and learn.

Ask anyone that has owned both.

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
I really like the locating part of the package, but unless the other guy is keying his mic you still don't know where he is.

NOT TRUE, if all radios have the polling feature enabled anyone in your group using the rino can "ping" your radio. This will transmit your radios location as long as everyone is using the same channel.

If you want to go stealth, turn this feature off and your location will not be sent.

So for me and the boys we have settled in on a good GPS under $200 ($150) and a decent two way.

(PS we like to loose things and loosing a $500 piece of equipment isn't all that fun)

As far as losing the radio, we have dropped a unit in snow at lunch time by accident and returned hours later to find it. Using the polling feature. As long as the radio is on, and can see satelites it will send its location.

Thunder

Just yesterday, we found a rider 500 feet from us in a whiteout. We simply selected the riders icon on the rino, and then pressed GO TO. The compass feature pointed us in the direction of the rider till we "arrived at location".
Whole ordeal took 5 minutes or less...stress free riding is what i shoot for.

Ride safe!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Rhino 650 here as well as several of my riding partners. Great piece of equipment, it has more then paid for itself on a few occasions!!

C
Apr 12, 2009
Liberty Lake, WA
I had the 530HCX and loved it. I sold it and got the Montana 655T from BRP and use the 120 with a microphone (like the cops use). AA batteries are no big deal, especially if you use the Eneloop batteries. They are the best out there, bar-none!

Premium Features