• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CR500AF Sasquatch Build

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
Go big or go home :face-icon-small-ton

97 CR500 motor completely updated to 2001, extensive porting and polishing, pulse induction, bored cylinder, lighting stator, polished billet stator cover and clutch cover, Hinson Racing clutch basket, PC Platinum pipe, custom wire harness, etc... transplanted into a street legal 2005 CRF250R frame powdercoated black with Pro Motion CRF450R suspension, Cyclops H4 LED equipped headlight, grip heaters, oversize radiators, Bulletproof Designs radiator guards, oversize pegs, etc..

Timbersled gets updated with double row bearings, a new 155" track with WPS extended rails, Cobalt Cycles custom third shock mount I designed with them for 20+ inches of travel, Arctic Cat tunnel cooler, and a custom 16" wide ski I made from 1/2" UHMW and a Gen I TS ski.

I fired it up and took it for a rip down the road... I was unintentionally spinning the 155" track in 3rd gear as soon as it would hit the pipe, just above idle :face-icon-small-sho. Makes my hi comp YZ450F feel like an XR200. Can't wait to get it in the snow.

_MG_5935.JPG

_MG_5944.JPG

_MG_5950.JPG

_MG_5971.JPG

_MG_5993.JPG

_MG_5920.JPG

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
With that assault track on firm snow, u will have that ski up in the air a lot.

GS6

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
What jetting arr you running in your Pulse ? How do you like it ? Any stator mods ? Saw u on FB

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
Whats the story on the rear shock setup? It looks like the stock CRF shock with a billet linkage system that ties in with a new subframe section. I would suspect you would need really stiff valving and spring to handle that motion ratio and moment arm. Cool stuff for sure!

Kell

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Chris what do u think of your Pulse ? Have u run it yet ?

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
Chris what do u think of your Pulse ? Have u run it yet ?

From the brief run I took down the road it rips your face off :face-icon-small-hap
Couldn't believe how hard it pulls now. Spinning the track on asphalt in 3rd gear is just a light twist of the wrist. Starts easy too. Sounds like "badabangbangbangbang" instead of ringadingding like regular. All the porting that Cobalt did helped I'm sure too.

Stator is a Moose 40w. Not sure where you can get them now

Not my first rodeo with a custom ski. It's not going to be a trail happy ski in any way, but it is going to float well.

The third shock mount is a prototype designed with Cobalt. I'll be testing it this weekend. The angle allows for MX sprung/valved shocks to work

Last edited:
O

olymon

I'd be curious to see hire that track rolls across that extension gap. Seems like the rails go up and then the rear wheels are much lower than the rails. Would it be brr to flip the extensions and continue the upward rail profile? for the shirt time you might be in hard pack it might make it easier to turn. Just an observation, hell, I don't even own a snowbike. :what:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
Would it be brr to flip the extensions and continue the upward rail profile?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I've been thinking about doing that, I think I will thanks.

I hooked up my thermostat. Does this look right? It's a KTM thermostat with the bypass plugged
upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Let us know how the cooling works. One thing to keep in mind is the KTM stats i have seen so far not only have a bleed hole but also bypass fluid at the bell. The ones i used let a lot of coolant through and didnt really do much in the deep. Thats one reason i like the Thermobob setup. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
you can take the t stat apart and with a punch, flatten out the notch where it bypasses. works slick. 30 second job.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I also some older ones out of the 2002 300 exc i believe that didnt close all the way. If you can make it sealed u will have better luck with getting the temps up a little more in the deep.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I would be worried about blowing hoses off if I didn't have some sort of bypass on the tstat. also, getting coolant through the tstat is required to get hot coolant from motor to it. I usually never have problems with a cold motor unless we are on the trail, otherwise it is overheating that I have problems with on most bikes.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I would be worried about blowing hoses off if I didn't have some sort of bypass on the tstat. also, getting coolant through the tstat is required to get hot coolant from motor to it. I usually never have problems with a cold motor unless we are on the trail, otherwise it is overheating that I have problems with on most bikes.

I thought people had been running Thermo Bob's on fuel injected four strokes with no bypass for sometime and no problems?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Only reason for the little hole is to allow coolant to pass so the system can be filled. You wont blow hoses of with a sealed stat. The bypass allows coolant to flow from the head to the waterpump inlet keeping the engine more /stable consistent. If you look on Thermobobs web site he has some great data on the bypass system. The 2 stroke engines run just fine at 90F in deep snow. Its the trail that gets hot temps. Just adding a stat wont do anything unless u have a way of cooling it such as a cooler in the tunnel.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
The 2 stroke engines run just fine at 90F in deep snow. Its the trail that gets hot temps. Just adding a stat wont do anything unless u have a way of cooling it such as a cooler in the tunnel.

strange, the trail is the only place I haven't overheated. how could you overheat on a trail? I have a tunnel cooler and 2 oversized radiators. Maybe I will just run no thermostat? Seth have you run no thermostat? Otherwise I'll run the bypass back to the head, thanks

I finished up the ski
upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

last year had some dirt riding... have any of you had luck heating up the plastic and smoothing the scratches out? when the snow is wet it loads up under the ski.
upload_-1.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features