• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Expert front end changes

T
Aug 8, 2011
Can someone explain the exact changes made to the expert sled front end? As I understand it the have removed the slack in the ski to spindle and created a “centered” location that the ski rubber holds the ski in.
It was also mentioned that the spindle is tipped up. Does that mean that the angle is more vertical through the ball joints and ski mounting location? If so how was that achieved? A new upper a arm to move the upper ball joint location or a different ski mounting location vs ball joints?

It was said in one of the expert videos that the washout is reduced more from the front end than anything, I’m curious what’s actually different geometry
Wise or is it a better ski rubber only

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
You need new spindles and skis and ski rubbers to duplicate the Expert front end. I am going to try the Durapro ski rubbers first.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
I widened stance and installed dura pros. Haven't looked back!

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
How are you liking the durapros, and the wider skis? I was thinking about doing that.

I've run the skis centered for years. It seems more consistent and stable to me. I like it.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Centred is way better for trail and high speed sections< but even my better halve prefers the narrow stance as it is s such easier handling in deep snow.

May not be as noticeable if yo are 200 + pounds but for a 120 pound lady it makes a huge difference. The narrow ski stance does put the ski inside of centre and any forces acting on the ski make the front end less stable V/S a cantered ski where there is no alignment change. The real answer would be a 1" narrower frond end so one could keep the ski centred with the narrower setting and have a more neutral tracking ski setup. I run aftermarket skis and shim them out on the rubber to keep the ski from lifting the tip to much in a carve or sidehill. This also helps deep snow performance by making the ski do the lifting fly going through the snow level instead of folding tip up plowing snow. I wish there were much stiffer ski rubbers for just that. this is the first I heard of a stiffer aftermarket one.
In the Snowbike world shimming your ski is standard practice for the guys in the know.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Centred is way better for trail and high speed sections< but even my better halve prefers the narrow stance as it is s such easier handling in deep snow.

May not be as noticeable if yo are 200 + pounds but for a 120 pound lady it makes a huge difference. The narrow ski stance does put the ski inside of centre and any forces acting on the ski make the front end less stable V/S a cantered ski where there is no alignment change. The real answer would be a 1" narrower frond end so one could keep the ski centred with the narrower setting and have a more neutral tracking ski setup. I run aftermarket skis and shim them out on the rubber to keep the ski from lifting the tip to much in a carve or sidehill. This also helps deep snow performance by making the ski do the lifting fly going through the snow level instead of folding tip up plowing snow. I wish there were much stiffer ski rubbers for just that. this is the first I heard of a stiffer aftermarket one.
In the Snowbike world shimming your ski is standard practice for the guys in the know.

Isn't the difference between centered and narrow only about a half inch? Doesn't seem like that could make much difference off trail.

T
Aug 8, 2011
In the picture and in one of the videos norona said the expert spindle is more stood up. It appears to be in the pics. Does anyone know about this? To stand it up more at least one of the a arm mounting points needs to be different? Or did the ski bolt just get moved back?

Thanks

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
In the 2020 access book it only shows the Spindles with some kind of square on the bottom of it ! ?
I could not find a listing for the skis or the new rear flat out flap .

The new smaller diameter handle bars are listed .

I’d like to try rack steering in mine to get rid of that bump steer twitch that want to yank the bars out of my hands when the front suspension compresses at an off angle !!!

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
In the 2020 access book it only shows the Spindles with some kind of square on the bottom of it ! ?
I could not find a listing for the skis or the new rear flat out flap .

The new smaller diameter handle bars are listed .

I’d like to try rack steering in mine to get rid of that bump steer twitch that want to yank the bars out of my hands when the front suspension compresses at an off angle !!!

Two biggest helpers for me: put bars in line w steering post; and center skis.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Frustrating that ski-doo hasn’t fully explained what they changed. All I’ve learned is that it so much better bla bla. How did they achieve the improvement is a valid question.

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
Frustrating that ski-doo hasn’t fully explained what they changed. All I’ve learned is that it so much better bla bla. How did they achieve the improvement is a valid question.

Agree 100%. The simple fact is that those of us with 2017-2019 want to know 1) what is the complete front end change 2) can we duplicate on our sleds and 3) what parts (and cost) does it take to do so.

If there is a true geometry change was it accomplished only with the spindle or are the A-arms different?

Is the bottom of the spindle different? In other words is the spindle to rubber interface different? Or is the rubber just changed?

If there is no actual geometry change and just the rubber limiting the ski travel it seems that we would be able to very easily, and inexpensively, duplicate the Expert front end.

Premium Features