• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha Viper vs Cat M7000

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
A little investigation beyond the showroom window will show that there is a fair amount of differences. Also one comes with the option to add a turbo for $2,000. My question is who does the M7000 appeal to?

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
The skid is not the same. :face-icon-small-con. I'm with sxviper, dpg you should go winder shopping and see the real differences for yourself.

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Skid is different.
Shock valving is different.
M7000 does not come in 162"
Viper has better primary clutch.
Viper has better secondary clutch.
Jackshaft is slightly different.
I think the chaincase internals are different, but that may have changed.

The M7000 will appeal to the Arctic Cat die-hard guys. I would get the M if they were the same just because it says Arctic Cat on it, but the Viper has too many little extras to pass up. The preseason factory turbo option was really slick on the Yamaha as well.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
O-Boy what's the difference :face-icon-small-hap

153 Turbo M7000 sounds every bit as sweet as a Viper MTX turbo. I wonder how the M7000 prices out with the Viper MTX.

DPG

Last edited:
O
Dec 6, 2007
MSRP pricing is virtually identical between the Viper 153 and the M7000, right below $13k. Interstingly the M9000, Cats 4s turbo on this chassis retails for about a $2500 premium over the M7000, very similar to the Yammi turbo pricing, right around $15,500.

Nothing to see here....

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
If I was in the market for that type of sled I wouldn't even look at the cat. Same junk clutches and drivetrain since 2012. Yamaha builds a quality product even if it comes out of TRF. I'd be willing to bet the plastic actually fits and keeps the snow out of the Yamaha too.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Plastic not fitting is just one of the issues. This guys has them all documented, and has been doing different sleds for years. He calls a spade a spade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcEjmPd4GQQ&feature=youtu.be&list=UUK9cHA63sWdY1rJDwMroP4A

Minus 31 degrees don't have a garage and by the sound of his engine probably doesn't use any additive in his fuel system which would prevent the fuel system from freezing....2 strokes or 4 strokes leave them outside all winter in minus 31 and your sled will have plastic issues....I remember what's it's like not having a garage -20 degrees shocks would freeze, fuel lines frozen couldn't even pull the rope to start the sled on those sub zero mornings..... Condensation from the previous ride and over night frigid temps is a sled killer IMO.

Leave your $50k pickup outside at -30 every night without a block heater and let me know how it runs?? If it runs :)

DPG

Last edited:
C
Apr 17, 2013
alberta
Yes that would suck not have a place to warm sled up and melt snow off

I just drive mine into my heated garage everyday

Have been out in really cold days. No problem starting

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Minus 31 degrees don't have a garage and by the sound of his engine probably doesn't use any additive in his fuel system which would prevent the fuel system from freezing....2 strokes or 4 strokes leave them outside all winter in minus 31 and your sled will have plastic issues....I remember what's it's like not having a garage -20 degrees shocks would freeze, fuel lines frozen couldn't even pull the rope to start the sled on those sub zero mornings..... Condensation from the previous ride and over night frigid temps is a sled killer IMO.

Leave your $50k pickup outside at -30 every night without a block heater and let me know how it runs?? If it runs :)

DPG

His previous sleds were Yamahas and for the most part they started.....I have watched most of his videos and not starting is just one of his problems with the Viper, and yes he might have gotten a dud.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Yea I saw his video's and in my opinion he was trying to make the viper look bad and he came off looking like an idiot in the process. You flood a cold engine with a primer and raw gas and then you kill the battery trying to turn it over only to say it has issue starting in the cold. everything will have problems starting at that temperature. From what I saw in the video he brought on most if not all the issues he was having on himself. Again sorry my own opinion again

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah the guy looks like an idiot the little bit I could get myself to watch... 12 cat was horrible,,, not even debatable... Rode a 14 last year with an open mind and IMO not much better. Horrible fit and finish, super weak tunnel without coolers all the way back, terrible skid set up and the belt was hot sticky goo after I rode it for 20 minutes.
I'm assuming Yama addressed a lot of these issues in their 30+ quality control issues they found in TRF... At lest Yama knows the TCL is a joke.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Yea I saw his video's and in my opinion he was trying to make the viper look bad and he came off looking like an idiot in the process. You flood a cold engine with a primer and raw gas and then you kill the battery trying to turn it over only to say it has issue starting in the cold. everything will have problems starting at that temperature. From what I saw in the video he brought on most if not all the issues he was having on himself. Again sorry my own opinion again

Even as cold as it was it "should" start with the aid of a booster and block heater.

Premium Features