• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Take your snow flap off.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
So I bought the Linq snow flap. I think it makes a noticeable difference in how the sled performs in DEEP SNOW. By deep snow I mean 2 1/2’ plus. Sled just seems to work better with less throttle needed. Where I really notice it is in that last gasp climb. Where you are thinking of turning out, or switching to a steep sidehill line etc. sled just seems to keep going. I also notice it where the sled is digging it’s own grave, trenching and I’m just about to cut the power to make it an easier time getting unstuck and when I stay in it the sleds just pulls itself out of the snow and keeps going.
I’ve only put the flap back on once. That was to see if the sled ran any cooler and it didn’t. Not even one bar on the temp gauge. I’m about ready to just leave the flap in the trailer, doesn’t seem to really do anything good. That’s why I recommend just taking off the flap and not buying the Linq kit. Anyway if you try this let me know how it works out for you.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I bought my dealers demo last year and snow checked one for my wife. The dealer cut the mud flap on his demo. There was a big difference, on the trail, between the 2 of them. Uncut runs way cooler if you have to run a bunch of icy trail. Was about to go get a new mud flap.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I notice the same in both instances here. My flap is cut and I do run warmer on the trail. With the flap stored on the tunnel, it does seem to navigate deeper snow easier.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Yes there is no doubt, the sled will run hotter in hard trail conditions, in deep snow it won't matter but with spring freeze and going up long whooped out trails it makes a huge difference, I almost over heated one day this year when I forgot my removable snowflap at the truck one early morning, never again. Even cutting it is not worth it, if you dont want to purchase the linq kit, just deal with it, your better off!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Hotter on the trail is NOT my experience but I haven’t had an icy trail to deal with. Worst I’ve had is a groomed trail a couple days old. I’m also good about jumping off trail every so often to load up the track with snow as best as I can.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
One of my regular riding spots has a 6 miles trail to get to it, my mud flap is full length, during a warm spell a couple of weeks ago I still hit 150* on the trail with my scratchers down, I had 2 more bars to go on the temp gauge, but without a flap I'm sure I would have had to have stopped and piled snow on the tunnel, it's not the end of the world to do that, but I'd rather just keep riding.

It's hard to imagine that the mud flap makes so much drag, or forces so much snow back through the tunnel that it's absence will actually make a difference on a climb, but I haven't taken mine off to check either.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Riding in deep fresh snow it actually makes a big difference. The flap folds out and works like a snow shoe holding the track up instead of digging and getting traction. Next time you get stuck look how much snow is between the top of the track and the tunnel, chances are it's packed. With no snow flap it doesn't do that...

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
Riding in deep fresh snow it actually makes a big difference. The flap folds out and works like a snow shoe holding the track up instead of digging and getting traction. Next time you get stuck look how much snow is between the top of the track and the tunnel, chances are it's packed. With no snow flap it doesn't do that...

You must have a lot of experience getting stuck. I haven't noticed mine for some reason. :face-icon-small-hap

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You must have a lot of experience getting stuck. I haven't noticed mine for some reason. :face-icon-small-hap

I'd post some pictures of you stuck but they will just delete the post and probably ban me :face-icon-small-con

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I’ve never been stuck myself but when I’m helping out my buddies get unstuck I can see the snow flap sticking straight out the back of the tunnel and keeping the track basically suspended at full droop. When you kick the snow out around the rails and the snow flap the and the sled drops down the track can again get a grip on the snow.
Anyway it’s something to try and it’s free.

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
I'd post some pictures of you stuck but they will just delete the post and probably ban me :face-icon-small-con

I wasn't really stuck I just stopped in a bad spot. I needed to make a call anyway

S

snodad

Jan 5, 2008
really cut snowflap vs not so much cut

Direct comparison between two 850's: Both with snowflaps but one (mine) is cut pretty high and the other (bro-in-law's) is cut much lower. On the road down in soft snow over ice/asphalt mine was staying from 130-140 degrees and his was staying at 108 degrees. We both had the scratchers down and they are both 3" x 165" X models. Obviously, if one had no snowflap at all the difference would be even greater.

I am a total believer in the difference no snowflap makes in deep snow and I have removed them on two previous sleds. Plus if you get stuck there isn't a stupid snowflap up against the bumper.

The Linq snowflap is the best of both worlds. You can still stay cool and have better thrust in the deep!!!

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Aside from the cooler temps up the trail and ability to clear snow with the flap off up on the hill, one of the biggest advantages of the removable flap (or no flap) is my ability to back up a few feet away from the tree I was about to hit, then just pin it and go around it! I LOVE being able to do this with my 175 as it saves me about 3 stucks a day since we ride a lot of trees.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I’ve never been stuck myself but when I’m helping out my buddies get unstuck I can see the snow flap sticking straight out the back of the tunnel and keeping the track basically suspended at full droop. When you kick the snow out around the rails and the snow flap the and the sled drops down the track can again get a grip on the snow.
Anyway it’s something to try and it’s free.

It's like a trench-depth limiting device.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Removable Snow Flap = good stuff. Ran sled with flap off out of Black Canyon here in I.P. about 15 miles down Fish creek to the Big Springs lot and ran normal temps all the way, loose snow on groomed trail...

IMG_0433.jpg

Premium Features