• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trick(s) for getting coolent hose off the cylinder head?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Was wanting to take my head off today to look at my pistons in the light ... Managed to get the hose clamp off, but the hose is stuck to the barb fitting on the head tighter than ****, and I cant really find a good way to get it off of there with the motor in the sled.

Pistons look fine, but I still want to get the head separated from the hose while I have it in the garage so I can put a thin layer of grease on the barb fitting so when I actually have to put new pistons in next time I wont have the same issue.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Fix it before it is broke? Never break a seal unless you want to play.

Grab the hose with a set of pliers and slowly work it. Some times they have a permatex type sealant to keep the leaking away.

M
Nov 26, 2007
I use an O-Ring pick. Stick the pick inbetween the hose and the fitting make sure to turn the sharp end towards the fitting so you do not cut the hose. Run the pick around tell the hose is loose.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Eh, tightening the clamp wasn't an issue once I got it turned the right way ... taking it off was the major pita, it was facing back towards the steering post :face-icon-small-dis

The o-ring picks sounds like a good idea, I'll have to get a set of those.

I think I'm gonna leave this thing be until the weekend I'm on call and cant ride then do the pistons and rings then.

H

HOTRODREDNECK

Oct 28, 2008
COLORADO
I use an O-Ring pick. Stick the pick inbetween the hose and the fitting make sure to turn the sharp end towards the fitting so you do not cut the hose. Run the pick around tell the hose is loose.

x2 on the pic thing. we call it a booger picker:face-icon-small-win

J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
If you are like me you spent 45 minutes trying to get it off with a 1/4" socket on a flex head ratchet...who ever heard of a 6mm head hose clamp!!! I put full strength antifreeze on the barb and the hose so it slid together easier, grease might make it tend to want to pop off in the future (unlikely though). Getting it back on wasnt that bad but I swore alot getting it off prying with a screwdriver.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I didnt have any issue with the heads barb coming off at all. My gear clamp was also only finger tight. Tight enough that it would not pass the barb.

I drained the coolant off the main line clutch side. Then undid the head. With the head free. There slop in the head coolant line to pick it up and access the gear clamp. to get the head off the hose, I just held the hose and pivoted the head back. Popped right out.

Premium Features