• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RK Tek Head Kit vs D&D Racing Shim Kit

I ride 09 M8 SP. I am going to put in an RK Head Kit "Bolt on" or a D&D Racing Shim Kit. I will be running either of these kits with an MBRP can.

It appears both will give the same power gains, the RK Tek head may get a few more ponies. (10-15 HP) RK Tek costs a little more ($100 - $150 CAD).

What are peoples opinions on these kits? Preferances, pros/cons, opinions. Let's hear it folks, I need some help in choosing one over the other.

Thanks for the input.. helps out alot.

A
Dec 13, 2007
Wasilla
Rktek shim kit

Call RK tek and talk to Kelsey.
For an 09 M8. I would go with his shim kit and RK tek head.
He can set you up for your elevation and recommend a compression ratio that will work. He will also recommend what pipe he feels will work best for you.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Call RK tek and talk to Kelsey.
For an 09 M8. I would go with his shim kit and RK tek head.
He can set you up for your elevation and recommend a compression ratio that will work. He will also recommend what pipe he feels will work best for you.
Dont think you can run the 2 kits together. The shim kits elevates the cylinder to increase the port timing and you need D&D to recut the head to bring the compression back into focus, something I dont think the RKT kit will do.

I plan to run the D&D shim kit later in the season with my full SLP pipe kit and PC111 controller.

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Dont think you can run the 2 kits together. The shim kits elevates the cylinder to increase the port timing and you need D&D to recut the head to bring the compression back into focus, something I dont think the RKT kit will do.

I plan to run the D&D shim kit later in the season with my full SLP pipe kit and PC111 controller.

The domes that come with the RKT kit are corrected for the proper Ratio (ie. 13:1, 13.6:1, 14:1, etc) You can not run both the RKT and D&D kit.

A
Dec 13, 2007
Wasilla
Nice thing about going with RKT Head and shim kit, The shim kit raises your port timing for better performance. Poor man's port job. The RKT head with replaceable domes can be ordered to the compression ratio you want. (or what Kelsey recommends) If you decide you want to go back to stock, say maybe you are selling your sled, you can just pull the parts off and put the stock head and gasket back on.

Kelsey's heads are a hemispherical design. Very efficient and run cooler. A friend had one on his 09 HCR with full SLP exhaust and BDX airbox. Was able to run without adding fuel. He was making as good or better fuel mileage as a m-6 running side by side. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Thanks for the input guys...

I don't want to run a pipe kit, just the can. My job forces me to frequently move and I want a sled that can easily be ridden at different altitudes with minor adjustments.

Anyone run the D & D, and if so what kind of power are you getting?

THe D & D is cheaper and my dealer has it in stock and seems to be recommending it. A part of me is drifting to the RK Tek because what I read about RK Tek is usually very positive.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

B

boosted1

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Thanks for the input guys...

I don't want to run a pipe kit, just the can. My job forces me to frequently move and I want a sled that can easily be ridden at different altitudes with minor adjustments.

Anyone run the D & D, and if so what kind of power are you getting?

THe D & D is cheaper and my dealer has it in stock and seems to be recommending it. A part of me is drifting to the RK Tek because what I read about RK Tek is usually very positive.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

I run kelseys RKT shim and head kit on my 09 M8 and nothing else...it works great!
stock to stock I lined upp with my buddys 09 800 XP (same tracks) I was on his bumper everytime, after the install of the RKT kit, he was on my bumper...good for 2 lengths in a drag race
the only complaint I have is it seems lazier on the revs, slightly...
go with the RKT shipped right to your door...easy

Dale

I have a slightly used pair of RKT 13:1 domes for sale. I was doing a project of big bore 800 kit on my M7 and bought the used domes from a snowest member who wanted to upgraded to turbo domes. When I received the domes, found out it was not for M7 big bore cause of two spark plug holes and my M7 has one so cant use the domes for my project. You can purchase the head shell from RKT. Asking $125 for both domes.

Last edited:
Premium Features