• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

No B.S. weights,same scale

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I don't understand why you guy's keep on justifing your " chubby kitty" purchase by saying..... Oh well we got the motor and Poo has the chassis.

From what I have seen this year there are more cat motors going down than poo motors.WTF
As for the poo motor being underpowered....... we will see and already have seen the poo out climb and out manouver the fat cat.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I apreciate the effort of showing us correct weights FROM SOMEONE ELSE THAN FACTORY!!

Simply because the old 440 snocross sleds were 12lbs lighter each year, but still the weight hardly moved in 5-6 years of this "diet".

Sleds soon gets filled with some fuel so they can easily be moved, so I guess the easy to do weighing would be full of fuel/oil/coolant and all stock stuff like spare belt and tool kit. This is as equal as I can see it gets, not hard to arrange or control.

Forget shovels, bags, muff-pots and what not, not a stock equipped sled anymore. And rider weight? Are you kidding? You, the rider, must throw around this vehicle and to see a difference YOU must take your own self over to another sled, NO CHANGE.

The only thing to throw this comparison out the window would be a radical difference in how the sled technology affects handling and the centering of its mass. Cat might be the pig ON THE SCALE this year, but I would not bet my paycheck that my pro handles easier/lighter. Besides whe you're stuck, that is what really matters; how light/heavy is one compared to the other TO RIDE.

Of course, now you've introduced rider skill and seat time on one vs the other. So, full loop back to a RTR sled with same length track and no extras, there is your comparison. Use the info as you se fit, and thanks to anyone who takes the time to do these things and post it so I dont have to!

"..and that's all I have to say about that".

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
I don't understand why you guy's keep on justifing your " chubby kitty" purchase by saying..... Oh well we got the motor and Poo has the chassis.

From what I have seen this year there are more cat motors going down than poo motors.WTF
As for the poo motor being underpowered....... we will see and already have seen the poo out climb and out manouver the fat cat.

The ONLY reason any of the cat motors went down was faulty PDI has nothing to do with cat, this is the same motor since 2010 no changes, you can not blame cat because some of there dealers are dumb and can't set a sled up right!

386 huh? So why is it that everyone one else who weighs one it weighs 430lbs? The pro holds 44lbs in coolant and oil? I'm not bashing I'm just trying to determine why this weight is soooooo far off, yes I know it's dry but it just seems like a big difference! And from what I keep seeing all the pros that are weighed are empty on fuel or a gallon or so how come none are RTR? one guy posted a 2012 proclimb 50th all black RTR and it weighed 565 or 555 I don't remember! So let's see an RTR of this proRide!

This argument is pointless but I'm board as heck at work and I'm sick of hearing how this proRide is like the f

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND

You Polaris owners have a great sled. Is there a reason you have to justify your sled by coming in here and talking ****. If I would have wanted a Poo I would have bought one. It is a great sled but I have a great Cat dealer that knows how to setup a sled. I am not too worried about the poo, just like I wasn't worried about them last year. They were never a problem to beat.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I am not brand loyal... I want to purchase the PC800 162"... However I have to base that off real information.
So far I will wait and see if they can be "tweaked" to be more competitive.

I will agree that overall the cat motor has a better reputation than the poo motor.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Hooch, I like both sleds..but to say the engines cat has had go down isnt a manufacturers fault is wrong..the manufacturer installed all the parts and the lube(oil) and didnt bleed the system right..I would also wonder if the low placement of the oil tank wasnt taken into consideration as well when it comes to an oil pump that since its conception was always gravity fed..regardlesss it was still cat who left air bubble init when it left the factory..now can the PC compete with the other brands in the mountains..yes I think so, it is gonna take some thought by some of the great cat guys(and even some average joes)to figure the new chassis out..but it is a very promising sled..hoping I get to swing a leg over one sometime for sure...good luck guys for sure,,,,

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I don't either but that is what everyone is comparing these sleds to. The same Polaris that they brag being so light is the same sled that needs to be reinforced in several areas if you ride them hard.

What areas need to be reinforced? The only problem I've heard of is weak tunnel and or running boards. The front end is the most rigid sled front end I've been on. Very strong bulkhead. But If you could posts some official data of the weak areas that would be helpful.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
What areas need to be reinforced? The only problem I've heard of is weak tunnel and or running boards. The front end is the most rigid sled front end I've been on. Very strong bulkhead. But If you could posts some official data of the weak areas that would be helpful.

Tunnel and running boards is pretty significant. The bumper sucks and there are some reporting problems with the bulkhead cracking. I don't know how many are having the bulkhead problem but these sleds have only been on the snow for one season. They are a good sled but not without fault. I guess Polaris finally has a decent sled after years of crap and people are proud of these pro's.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
I like both sleds as well and almost bought a pro but everybody in my group did and u wanted to be different plus I like cat and they are sexy machines. And I didnt know the factory put oil in them! I thought they only shipped with coolant!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I prep both sleds thru my night job..yep..factory adds oil and bleeds..but I dont think that is as much an issue as the fact that the oil tank is lower then the pump...not sure the pump is capable of sucking oil up hill..If I had a new cat..I would be checking oil lines for air before every ride..especially if its a while between rides(looses its prime and wont pull oil)..as for the polaris tunnels..well I will argue that one..if and this is a BIG IF..you follow the manufacturers recommendations on weight on the tunnel(no more then 15 pds total right at the rear of the seat), and set the suspension up so it doesnt bottom hard..I doubt you or anyone will have any issues with the tunnel(Now..I bent my dragon tunnel twice..both time with excess weight on the tunnel and bottoming it hard..same basic tunnel as the pro, and yes..I do reinforce my tunnel from bulkhead to bumper..but I will pull a sled with 60 gallons of fuel in it 50 miles one way to my trapping cabin..no current bone stock mnt sled will hold up to that...we brace every sled..poo doo cat to pull with)poo has its issues..dont get me wrong..but all sleds will have issues, just a matter of what you are willing to deal with...I know this..this is the first sled I have ever owned..that is unmodded other then for heel heavy clutch weights and primary spring(again, specific mods for pulling tow sleds in the mountains), and tunnel reinforcments..thats it on my sled....and guys..good luck..I like the new cat..think it looks damn sexy on the snow..

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
the one reported on here with a bulkhead crack..well hitting a stump or boulder..not a fair fault on the sled, running boards..yep they arnt as strong as others..but most everyone does insert boards now days anyway for better evacuation and I have found..if you arnt stomping/kicking/beating the crap out of them to keep the snow off..they hold up fine, as for bulkheads cracking..I know of 3 guys(all on here that want me to make them reinforcment panels) that have buckled the tunnel between the chaincase and the frt skid bolt on the clutch side..think about that..only on one side,the way the energy went into the buckle..points to only one cause..landing hard on the rear skid straight up and down...not many sleds that will hold up to that either..and truely..not the sleds fault....

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I prep both sleds thru my night job..yep..factory adds oil and bleeds..but I dont think that is as much an issue as the fact that the oil tank is lower then the pump...not sure the pump is capable of sucking oil up hill..If I had a new cat..I would be checking oil lines for air before every ride..especially if its a while between rides(looses its prime and wont pull oil)..as for the polaris tunnels..well I will argue that one..if and this is a BIG IF..you follow the manufacturers recommendations on weight on the tunnel(no more then 15 pds total right at the rear of the seat), and set the suspension up so it doesnt bottom hard..I doubt you or anyone will have any issues with the tunnel(Now..I bent my dragon tunnel twice..both time with excess weight on the tunnel and bottoming it hard..same basic tunnel as the pro, and yes..I do reinforce my tunnel from bulkhead to bumper..but I will pull a sled with 60 gallons of fuel in it 50 miles one way to my trapping cabin..no current bone stock mnt sled will hold up to that...we brace every sled..poo doo cat to pull with)poo has its issues..dont get me wrong..but all sleds will have issues, just a matter of what you are willing to deal with...I know this..this is the first sled I have ever owned..that is unmodded other then for heel heavy clutch weights and primary spring(again, specific mods for pulling tow sleds in the mountains), and tunnel reinforcments..thats it on my sled....and guys..good luck..I like the new cat..think it looks damn sexy on the snow..

If you oil tank has more then a 1/4 tank then the oil level will be much higher then the pump so gravity should push the oil to the pump.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
If you oil tank has more then a 1/4 tank then the oil level will be much higher then the pump so gravity should push the oil to the pump.
very true, but when the whole tank is above the pump..the weight of the oil forces oil thru a line better..loosing a 1/4 tank of oil weight to push the oil in the line may..may be having an effect......not sure..but seems very strange that cat has had no oil supply related issues with this motor over the years and suddenly in a new chassis they do(pretty sure the pump is the same as previous years as well...) it is something I would be checking before each ride until I am sure its a non issue...

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I think the reason they had the issues this year is also because of the low tank, but its only because the low tank traps the air bubble and it can not just bleed up and out like before. Once the bubble is bleed it should be a none issue, also if people would just follow the operators manual and add oil to the first tank it would have solved 90% of the issues that happened. Of course no one on here is going to admit that they did not add the oil but that's my bet on whats been happening.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The ONLY reason any of the cat motors went down was faulty PDI has nothing to do with cat, this is the same motor since 2010 no changes, you can not blame cat because some of there dealers are dumb and can't set a sled up right!

386 huh? So why is it that everyone one else who weighs one it weighs 430lbs? The pro holds 44lbs in coolant and oil? I'm not bashing I'm just trying to determine why this weight is soooooo far off, yes I know it's dry but it just seems like a big difference!

oh that's not stock by ANY means... I was just saying it's not what I call a "full blown" mod sled... just a lot of smart weight loss. I know it has the C3 belt drive, and a bunch of other toys, but I'm pretty sure nearly everything is simple bolt on weight loss.

That's a sled from RMX in denver btw. It's the one who had it at the denver & SLC shows I believe. My only point was that weight can be lost from both sleds in a similar capacity. More from the cat, because they built it with some extra LEAD in each part, but weight loss the same.

Btw... whatever you want to say about it, rode in some 3+' deep today & that sled is stupid. SOOOO smooth, so predictable, and so nimble at the same time. For me to get an M to be that nimble I've got to sacrifice predictability, somehow the PC does both which is very nice.

It's still not a pro though...:face-icon-small-win

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Basically what I was getting at is if you did the exact same mods to both sleds the AC should be within 15lbs cause like you said it has more to lose but the poo will sti be lighter, and you don't sacrifice much for reliabilty when dropping weight! But if you wanna make the poo compete with the power of the cat you are going to sacrifice reliability just the way it goes!

I wanna see the RTR of that full carbon turbo proclimb myself!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
well...Polaris has probably the best 800 out there right now...and why...because the polaris owners yelled loud and clear with the past issues...

sooo...now we have the CAT PRIDE..and that pride may just keep some of the truths and issues from being concerns and focus of the Cat engineers for 2013...so what will we have for the Cat in 2013 because of PRIDE...we will still have the second place 800 and possibly the third place..

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
well...Polaris has probably the best 800 out there right now.

I don't give a crap about brands/ colors, whatever.... but you're full of crap if you REALLY think the best 800 is a poo...

Best chassis, hands down. best motor... not a chance, and like I & hooch have mentioned, you can fix chassis MUCH easier than you can fix motor.

The cat has some real issues though imo, & I sure hope the mentally challenged people they brought into the design team as part of their equal opportunity program get fired so they can get rid of some of the REALLY stupid stuff they did on the 2012.

Briscoe

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2011
Blackfoot ID
Doo has best motor hands down. Polaris has the worst of the three for power and MIGHT be on par for reliability. For me that puts poo motor in third place.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
For me the cat is going to be a way better sled, for some that don't know how to mod sleds and ride sleds just straight out of the box, the pro is hard to beat and I would take it because its more capable even if the motor is junk. But for me it will be very easy to make the PC do everything the pro will but everything else will be better.

Chit after 3 pages forgot we where talking weight, wgaf

Premium Features