• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

No B.S. weights,same scale

Bozarth

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 15, 2008
Eureka MT
Fill em up and weigh them! I dont know anyone that rides a sled that is out of gas and oil. By the way they come from the factory with the tanks completely dry! That would be really stupid of AC (or any brand) to put fuel in them, If they did and for instance that sled didn't sell right away or sat in the crate for any lenght of time, that fuel in the tank would turn to $h?t and destroy the fuel system! Even with stabilizer, gas wont last forever. I dont think any manufacturer would want to have to replace fuel pumps, injectors and other related parts before the dealers could even sell it! I bought a new 09 M1000 out of the crate last fall, that had been in the crate at the dealer since the fall of 08. That sled had been in the crate for three years before I bought it. I would have been pi$$ed if they sold me a new sled with three year old gas in it, would you?

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I bought a new 09 M1000 out of the crate last fall, that had been in the crate at the dealer since the fall of 08. That sled had been in the crate for three years before I bought it. I would have been pi$$ed if they sold me a new sled with three year old gas in it, would you?

So you bought it in the fall of '10, it had been in the crate since the fall of '08 and that's 3 yrs. ? I may be missing something, but isn't that two years ?

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

Last edited:
S

Shortcut

Feb 27, 2010
out of the box

I saw a new proclimb on race car scales at 496. On the same scales the same day a 2012 Pro RMK weighed in at 460. Both sleds had the dealer prep fuel drained. That's as close of a comparison as necessary, 162 vs 163. If you introduce more variables, you exponentially increase the number of different outcomes. Fuel, tank size, amount of coolant, chaincase volume, rider weight, storage bag & contents, ice build up are all reasons to have no end to this stupid debate. The PC is about 36 lbs heavier than the Pro, if you want to nitpick that fact to death, continue to waste your time.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
I saw a new proclimb on race car scales at 496. On the same scales the same day a 2012 Pro RMK weighed in at 460. Both sleds had the dealer prep fuel drained. That's as close of a comparison as necessary, 162 vs 163. If you introduce more variables, you exponentially increase the number of different outcomes. Fuel, tank size, amount of coolant, chaincase volume, rider weight, storage bag & contents, ice build up are all reasons to have no end to this stupid debate. The PC is about 36 lbs heavier than the Pro, if you want to nitpick that fact to death, continue to waste your time.

How did they get there? Push them or rode them there? How did you confirm they had no fuel? Easier to comfirm them full of fuel. And it's my time to waste.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Man the level of thick in here is frikn endless

I think we can all just agree that the Proclimb is around 40 lbs heavier than the Pro.. Weighing a 100 different sleds is not going to change that fact. And we can all agree it is easier to remove weight from the Cat because each component getting replaced is heavier to start. I know I can easily get the Cat within 10 lbs of the Pro with very little work. Agree or disagree that is the way I see it.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Where is the weight? Where on the sleds, bulk heads, suspension, bolt ons, hoods...Just trying to learn what each manufacter thought needed the weight or the design to keep things together. Cat's last design seem to have lots of weight on the hood, seat etc. Take it off and boom, just as light as the rest. Is it the same this year?
I like all the sleds and am posting to learn what I can, not to bash the sleds. If my analitical ways are offending...I apologize.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
still waiting for weights? looks like we have stopped the blahdyied blahers.... no one owns a scale huh/?:kev::kev:

And you will all keep waiting, I posted actual weight and described the oil /fuel observed and everyone gets butt hurt. Rather than use the info to properly located areas to go on a diet, Most[not all] show their arrogance.the info could have been used in a constructive manner and was the intent.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I posted actual weight and described the oil /fuel observed and everyone gets butt hurt.

Because you gave us a completely uncontrolled comparison to nothing. (had you put the same amount of fuel in some other sled for comparison, that wouldn't be the case)

Appreciate the time in trying to give us something useful... but it wasn't.

All the way empty, or all the way full. Nobody gives a crap about "about maybe a 1/2" or so of fuel". I don't understand how people can't comprehend the difference between controls & variables in a comparison.

Not butt hurt, just see no purpose in giving the weight the way you did. That's just my take.

The two sleds, fuel drained, same scale, same day... that's a useful comparison. It may not be "perfect" due to oil levels, coolant... whatever, but they did due diligence in eliminating the fuel as a variable & gave a solid comparison to another machine.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I don't either but that is what everyone is comparing these sleds to. The same Polaris that they brag being so light is the same sled that needs to be reinforced in several areas if you ride them hard.

So does a cat though... they all need something, that's just the reality of sleds, they've all got SOME weak spot. (I think the new cat has less of them than a pro though... but it has other issues)

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Completely bone dry no fluid of any kind or filled to the brim with all fluids is the only 2 ways these sleds should ever be compared IMHO and I'm sure most will agree with me on that!

I will def agree that the pc is about 36lbs heavier but so what it's got probably the easiest 30lbs to drop...bikeman can, diamond s hood there is almost 30lbs there throw down a pipe and y pipe combo and your almost as light as a pro, and if you feel like going more add a skinz seat, kmod or timbersled skid drops a few more and I'd imagine there is going to be some weight to be had in the front suspension as well! So now you have at least 40lbs with all that so 515-520lbs rtr and 160hp(reliable hp with a warranty if you don't do a pipe setup)

I'm sure someone will say "well you can do all that to a poo too and yes to a degree you can but your not gonna save as much, in the end maybe 15lbs lighter with the same mods but still down on power, and to get equal power in a poo your not gonna have the same reliability cause no matter if you do a pipe on a poo and get 15hp then you do a pipe on the pc and get 15hp (hypothetical terms here) your still gonna be ahead in the hp dept on the cat and poo will be ahead on the weight thing just the way the cookie crumbles!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Not going to get within 15 pounds of the pro. you will gain on it 10-12 pounds with the muffler and that is about it. I bet the hoods don't weight anything. it is all the stuff that is bolted to them. You have to keep most of it unless you go mesh. I guess I don't like mesh hoods. There is a few more pounds in the rear suspension but i still don't think you will get to 15 difference. There was a pro, hanging on the scale in salt lake, at 386. So there is weight there to be lost. it doesn't matter, I've got both sitting in the shop. The pro with the cat motor would be the bomb.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Your not going to get 386 with simple bolt on mods that's a full blown mod sled your high if you think that!

And 10-12lbs??? Bikeman and jawz cans drop 17lbs alone! Stock hood weighs 30+/- a pound and the diamond s I believe he said like 15lbs finished ready to go on so like I said there is 30 right there! And I know you don't gain anywhere near that much on a pro hood those things already weigh nothing, and can savings are 4-7lbs max! You can easily be within 10-15 of a pro! with just those mods on a pc you will be lighter then the stock pro with more hp and did I mention reliable!!!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You can lose a little with the pro can. I was told the hood is 19-20 pounds. If you keep hood you need most of the stuff. If you put a ugly azz mesh hood on you aren't going to lose all the weight your banking on. The 386 pro had some stuff done but alot of it was stuff you were talking about. There was no hood or carbon tunnel. I wouldn't call it some full blown mod. I just posted it because there is weight to be had with both.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Your not going to get 386 with simple bolt on mods that's a full blown mod sled your high if you think that!

xmk1.jpg

Coil springs, stock tunnel, stock plastics, stock bars/ post, stock headlights, windshield.... yes, a lot is done to it, but I've owned WAY more "full blown mod" kinda sleds than that one is.

Don't get color blind, that chassis has plenty of potential to lose weight too...

We got screwed on the chassis, they got screwed on the motor. I can work on weight loss & suspension setup, making a motor not blow up I just don't know how to do.

OH... btw, that's a DRY weight... a REAL dry weight, no coolant, gas, or oil. All 3 are things any person could do to a sled to get a real figure (though coolant is a pain, it's doable) Or, maybe in keeping with forum tradition, we could just drain about half or 1/3 or 2/3 or so of each... ;)

Last edited:
Premium Features