• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

If your on the fence about a Pro rmk look at this BS

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
at least polaris is smart enough to design and build there own engine, and they are trying to improve it, cat cant even make one they have to have suzuki do it for them. my pro has 2000 miles on it and it has never had one problem at all.

Cat engineers their motors

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
my fugipoo let go a rod bearing at 11000 miles.engine was never touched.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
the case still says suzuki

So you would rather own a motor that has a higher failure rate just because the sled manufacturer tries to build their own motor? Polaris hasn't gotten an 800 right yet, much less anything with more cc's. The Liberty 800 was the most solid bigger motor they have come out with (still had crank issues), and that was 9 years ago. I don't feel they have improved on the quality of their motors since then (engine tolerances, trying to figure out EFI, etc)...

I'm glad your motor hasn't gone down yet, but many others have. I'll take a Japanese Suzuki built 2 stroke over any current American made 2 stroke. This is coming from a guy who owned 2 Polaris sleds within the last 2 years, before they screwed me over by voiding the warranty on my stock 09 D8 in 2010.

Last edited:
L
Jun 8, 2011
at least polaris is smart enough to design and build there own engine, and they are trying to improve it, cat cant even make one they have to have suzuki do it for them. my pro has 2000 miles on it and it has never had one problem at all.

you call it smart, i call it cheap....thats all it is, dont want to pay someone who can build a quality motor, so they just build a half a$$ one themselves......like the saying goes, "if harley davidson made a plane, would you fly in it??"

suzuki has been famous for delivering scary *** 2 strokes......polaris has been famous for being backordered on pistons........

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO

Good Point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for pointing out the problem again, polaris isn't smart enough to do it or this wouldn't be a topic. Good luck with your poo, 2000 miles is where I here of a lot of crank failures. I also guess a dodge sucks because its got a cummins in it, right, other than the cummins is the only reason dodge has a real pickup.

I don't care who makes it, the point is that it runs and keeps running.

I'm also pretty sure cat and suzuki own parts of each company so they are two in one.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Well... something I don't talk about much...

A good friend of mine is an actuary.

He works for the companies that underwrite the extended warranties on recreational vehicles (sleds, bikes, ATV's) Other groups in his company work on cars & trucks, but he heads up the sleds & ATV's.

When asking him his take on machines from a reliability standpoint only (all he cares about are the $$'s) it was hands down cat with the lowest failures (actually yamaha, but they don't REALLY make sleds do they?). Now, there's definitely more to the equation than simply failure rate, but it's a big part.

I love how people who own a Poo 800, or an 07 Doo for example, like to tell you "well, they all fail at some point" Yes, they do, but it doesn't take a genius (or an actuary) to know that some fail WAY more than others.

Btw, the way he explains it to me, Yamaha is hugely in the lead (lowest cost of warranty repairs per unit), with cat behind, and poo almost the same distance back. He said that doo has less claims than Poo but more money per claim, so from a $$ standpoint they're at the back of the pack.

Either way, it doesn't take an actuary.:face-icon-small-win

T

treedocker

Sep 1, 2010
well i am sorry for all you who do not like polaris cause of there rep. but where i am from we dont have these problems like all you say, if you maintain your machine you wont have problems. my 2010 dragon i have ran it at 13 to 15 lbs of boost and have had no problems whatsoever. i am a fan of both brands because i have a 2011 cat and pro but i love my pro more thats why it has 2000 miles and my cat has 560 the pro is just a funner sled and it gets way better mileage, i just cant see how all these people have so many problems with there polaris sleds are they idiots and dont know how to ride and let them warm up and add oil to the fuel and clean clutches and powervalves, if you maintain these sleds you wont have problems, that is all i am going to say.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
well i am sorry for all you who do not like polaris cause of there rep. but where i am from we dont have these problems like all you say, if you maintain your machine you wont have problems. my 2010 dragon i have ran it at 13 to 15 lbs of boost and have had no problems whatsoever. i am a fan of both brands because i have a 2011 cat and pro but i love my pro more thats why it has 2000 miles and my cat has 560 the pro is just a funner sled and it gets way better mileage, i just cant see how all these people have so many problems with there polaris sleds are they idiots and dont know how to ride and let them warm up and add oil to the fuel and clean clutches and powervalves, if you maintain these sleds you wont have problems, that is all i am going to say.

You sir are blinded by arrogance. You are NOT the only one who maintains their sleds. I go through my sleds head to toe after every single ride. Ask anyone who actually knows me. Don't come on here and make assumptions about others you don't even know, it makes you look juvenile. I am a mechanic BTW, I must know nothing about proper sled maintenance LOL :face-icon-small-dis

T

treedocker

Sep 1, 2010
You sir are blinded by arrogance. You are NOT the only one who maintains their sleds. I go through my sleds head to toe after every single ride. Ask anyone who actually knows me. Don't come on here and make assumptions about others you don't even know, it makes you look juvenile. I am a mechanic BTW, I must know nothing about proper sled maintenance LOL :face-icon-small-dis

i am not a arrogant person i hate arrogant people so i am sorry if you took it like that,i apologize. you just dont see this kind of brand bashing inn the poo pro ride section i just think its dumb, cat lovers should stay in the cat section and poo lovers should stay in there section. i have ridden the pro ride 2012 cat and its not near as fun as my pro and i think my pro runs better and it definately boondocks in the trees better and you dont see me posting this in the polaris section do you. no because i dont care its a great sled for some people but not for me. oh and my dealer i get my stuff from snowchecked 12 cats and 63 polaris sled for the 2012 season.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho

I think you answered your own question here. "Why is yours still running" Because you apparently know something about sleds. Running turbos you understand good fuel, good oil, warm up etc. The problem is the guys that try to squeeze every last ounce of performance from the sled or the guys that filler' up and go. That is where the failures are. If you are adding oil to you tank etc. you are doing more than 85% of the average riders are doing.

The real question is why to do you have to? You shouldn't if they had their crap figured out.

Thunder

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
What Arctic Thunder said!:second: There are also Federal regulations requiring that what is indicated on the pump for Octane and Ethanol percentage be accurate. Proven discrepancies can result in very large fines for the offending seller of said fuel.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
When it comes to sleds, if there's a failure rate of 1 in 40, all you have to be is one of the 39 & not do anything particularly dumb. It still sucks to be number 40 though.

Having a sled that hasn't failed doesn't prove the reliability of a sled, any more than knowing 6 out of 8 that HAVE failed proves that they're junk.

T

treedocker

Sep 1, 2010
i just think the main problem is warm up i see alot of people just get dressed and go. you cant do that you got to let them warm up and even when you stop for a breAK or lunch i see people sit for a half hour and start there sleds and go thats hard on a engine, i always let my water temp reach 120 before moving it even when i unload it.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
If I recall don't they need to be warmed up properly after sitting? Does the cold water sitting in the cooler dump in the engine at once? Also why doesn't Poo give you a fuel tester when you buy the machine? If it is a known problem then they should supply you with this! They should probably install a Fitch fuel catalyst in the tank to keep the fuel from going bad, that ought to stop the failure ratings? I bet not! I wonder how many of the engine failures are to their own Polaris oil, as to good NON-synthetic aftermarket oil? Maybe they will get smart and install two different sets of engine mounts, one for theirs and the competitions. Basically I am just joking, but wonder about the oil and cooling system design.

Mike

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
It's the way it's designed, materials used, and the way it's manufactured. If it were lack of proper warm up from the rider then you would see more percentages of failures from the other brands too. For example, the IQ 800's had horrible engine tolerances straight from the factory. That is a fact.

Premium Features