• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blowed Up 800R -> 872 ??

So I have a 2 part question...

Part 1
I bought a 2012 XP last year. I went with the 800R instead of the ETEC because the 800R is proven to be bullet proof over the last 10 years or so. It is almost unheard of to hear about one blowning up, well I guess I am the "Chosen One". I have about 1500 miles on mine and it melted down. I haven't pulled it apart yet so I don't really know what the situation is but I have 10 psi compression on the mag side cylinder.

Has anyone heard of this with this kind of milage? Any thoughts?

Part 2
I was already getting sick of the ETECs out climbing me so I was debating a BB or a XM. Now with a blown motor I am really leaning toward a BB. I hear alot about the SHR 860 and the Trygstad 872. It seems like the 872 is the way to go. Are there any other kits that will run with them? Any thoughts would be great.

I would also like to know what other setup is needed to make the BB work. Clutching?? Rear Skid??

L
May 15, 2009
SO, when all said and done, what is the total cost of doing the big bore for the R motor? Whether it's SHR's 860 or 880, Trygstad's 860 or 872, or RKT's 860.
You must have to figure on more dollars then what the motor work costs I'm going to presume? Really don't want to start a project without some idea as to what my final cost would be close to, have to work within a budget.

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
I think most big bores run 1800-2200 for the base price. They can vary w/ modifying stock head or going full aftermarket, reeds, bored carbs, etc. Really depends how far you want to take it, if you do your own wrenching, and how bad of condition your current motor is in. Never hurts to call the builders and ask about a summer special either.

L
May 15, 2009
I think most big bores run 1800-2200 for the base price. They can vary w/ modifying stock head or going full aftermarket, reeds, bored carbs, etc. Really depends how far you want to take it, if you do your own wrenching, and how bad of condition your current motor is in. Never hurts to call the builders and ask about a summer special either.

Thanks, but still looking for a number.
Can do my own wrenching, and motor is in good shape. Just would like to know the final price people have into their big bores once they have them running correctly. If you think about it, the base price is just that, a base, then the costs go up from there until you have it running properly.

T
Dec 14, 2011
Bozeman, MT
Man I would have went with an E-tec. I've never gotten over 1,400 miles out of an R motor. Since 2012, my dealer has only seen 2 motors go down on E-tecs. My neighbor rides pretty hard and has 2300 miles on his 2013 XM this year and only 1 belt has been gone through in it.

S

summit_man

Nov 23, 2008
Sioux Falls SD
Total cost is up to you

You cannot put a price figure on your situation till your motor is torn down. Neither Trygstad or Big John are going to be able to put a price tag to give you what you want till they see your motor and you tell them what your looking for. So many variables. You want bad *ss service. A guy that will walk you through everything you need to know, and your willing to listen and do what they recommend.... SHR is the way to go. 880 or 860. either is awesome.

I have tried working with Dave and done business with Big John, B-John knows his stuff, Builds an awesome motor and answers his phone. No disrespect intended, but Dave had my wallet and attention at his disposal, when I bought my sled, he didn't want to give me time or respect, with questions on his 880. I purchased a sled with one of his motors and tried getting info. After burning it down I now have a Trygstad ported case and top end all rebuilt through SHR.

My sled screams and SHR answers my calls with any questions I have. Every answer has been good advice. My sled Runs spot on and John hasn't been wrong once when I ask a question on what to do to get "this or that" out of my XP. Clutching, Tuning, Handling, and whatever else asked, I have been 100% satisfied with his recommendations. My motor doesn't skip a beat. choose what you want but my advice is SHR ALL THE WAY!!!

M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
I can personally tell you Dave answer's his phone anytime I call? very helpful and always has been. With respect to your 880 Dave did that project for a short time and discovered that it wasn't the way to go, he could of had any size piston he wanted to have produced. Go to his website and read BB facts and you'll see why he doesn't build the 880. As for his 872 he has well over a 100 Etech BB's on the mountain runing flawlessly! His reputation speaks for itself, always on the cutting edge in product development and very fussy on what leaves his shop. You will NOT be disappointed with his 872! it is an awesome package!

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
BB

There are enough 880's on the snow (SHR, bikeman, etc.) to put to rest the speculation that wall thickness and o-ring placement are an issue on these motors. The difference between the builders however, would be seen in the porting

Im sure the 872 runs well and is reliable but it is certainly not due to the minut difference in bore diameter.

My vote is for SHR 880!!

You can always start with the BB and add bored carbs, reeds, y-pipe, etc as the year progresses.

Good Luck with your decision.

D

dcooper

Mar 6, 2012
Jackson, WY
Give Star Valley ski doo a call! 307-883-2714 They helped develop the 872 with Trygstad, have done a number of installs and run them on their RMSHA team sleds. Tom should be able to answer any of your questions and run some numbers for you.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
You cannot put a price figure on your situation till your motor is torn down. Neither Trygstad or Big John are going to be able to put a price tag to give you what you want till they see your motor and you tell them what your looking for. So many variables. You want bad *ss service. A guy that will walk you through everything you need to know, and your willing to listen and do what they recommend.... SHR is the way to go. 880 or 860. either is awesome.

I have tried working with Dave and done business with Big John, B-John knows his stuff, Builds an awesome motor and answers his phone. No disrespect intended, but Dave had my wallet and attention at his disposal, when I bought my sled, he didn't want to give me time or respect, with questions on his 880. I purchased a sled with one of his motors and tried getting info. After burning it down I now have a Trygstad ported case and top end all rebuilt through SHR.

My sled screams and SHR answers my calls with any questions I have. Every answer has been good advice. My sled Runs spot on and John hasn't been wrong once when I ask a question on what to do to get "this or that" out of my XP. Clutching, Tuning, Handling, and whatever else asked, I have been 100% satisfied with his recommendations. My motor doesn't skip a beat. choose what you want but my advice is SHR ALL THE WAY!!!
My dealings were the oppisite BJ only wanted me to call so I gave up .Dave answered all my E-mails being I was in the hospital 4 months that was my only way of contacting him.Long story short Trygstads has done 2 872r (Mountainhigh)&(Hivoltagesledhead)soon to be 3 (MissTukernaters)and some yum yum on my 600(it plenty for me) he's a great engine builder,honest and a good person he has call just to see how my health is .Cheers Brian :thumb:

Last edited:
M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
If your insinuating that I think piston size is the main difference in power output you would be wrong in that thought process, fully well aware of what it takes to make power and yes porting is big however there's alot more to it than just porting, all the pieces have to work in unison ie: heads, timing,porting,piston balance,fuel delivery just to name a few. Good luck with your 880's.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Man this is getting negative.

It sounds like you have had experience w/ Dave's 880, which from I heard absolutely ripped when setup correctly, but was a pain to keep in peak power unless you were a tuner. I believe it was designed for hill cross. Nothing wrong w/ that, but it has to be sold to the correct customer. I believe they had Wiseco pistons?? Again, just needs more attention to detail. I've ran them w/ no issues.

Now as far as other 880's such as SHR, I've not been around Bikeman, how many have you seen? Were they having issues? Why would you wish them good luck w/ such a negative tone.

I installed 880 SHR in my old man's XP. Very happy w/ it. Seems to have hit the nail on the head w/ the combination of things working in unison to have a great setup. You mention porting, that baby has had some work done to it. Sent the carbs to bored also. BJ jetted. No issues. Decided to run pods w/ Boyesen reeds, so all I've done is tweek w/ fuel screws a little. Sled runs super smooth, tons of torque, and top end is awesome also. No problem running w/ any big bores out there and I'm leaving some on the table. Just haven't had much riding time this year to get it tuned in for the old man. If I'd just put in the recommended clutching, I'm sure that would help but can't help myself from going my own way. Finally getting some miles on it to even bother trying to tune the motor.

Buddy had his 872 tweaked from last year, isn't tuned to the point of running as good as what it had the previous season. Is there a problem w/ the combination of things mentioned? I doubt it. Just have to find the sleds happy spot or see what else is causing the issue. Highly doubt it related to the big bore. Again, time to ride and tune has been limited.

Customer service and satisfaction is very much driven by the consumer IMO. That may sound obvious but what I mean is that asking the right questions or how much info or detail goes into a conversation/concern/question has a direct effect on the response. Some people cannot be helped or made happy by an originator of a kit/product/ or whatever. Yet they visit w/ someone else, i.e, a competitor offering a similiar product, and their demeanor changes and now they can get answers and results.

Buddy has Dave's 872 and is happy. I've been running SHR and happy. For people to think either one of these guys isn't going to be good to work w/, seems off to me. I can only give my opinion from my experience and what I've seen my bud get from Dave.

Sorry for the rant. There really isn't a big difference. Like always w/ big bores or any mod, whoever sets the sled up the best is going to be the "big dog" for the day.

M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
Nothing negative at all! what people miss on these **** computers is calm talking, facial jestures, and intent? just stated that there is more to a BB or any high performance engine for that matter than piston, and my comment on Good luck was just that? based on the factual information that is there merely stated good luck? everybody's perception is taken differently. I'm thinking this thread may have run it's course.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Sorry Mach-ster. I assumed you meant it a negative manner.

You're right, this has run it's course. SHR 880 all the way!!:face-icon-small-win Anyone else riding Friday? Trying a set of Grippers on the 880. Should see a couple more hp minumum on those babies. W/ the Polaris parts on the sled I can now try to convince people hp doesn't matter. All comes down to being 'flickable'. Preparing myself for some extreme boondocking in some hero snow.:face-icon-small-hap

:focus:

Premium Features