• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil pumps. Who has adjusted?

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Just wondering how many guys have actually verified the oil pump setting...

Just picked up a new '10 D8 a couple weeks ago and have it torn down checking things over.

Oil pump is 1/4" out of adjustment. I wonder how many things likes this can be accounted for with known engine problems, or even bogging troubles etc...

I'm hoping to have one of the trouble free 800's, but I would be double checking everything on any sled in the first place, as I feel owning a reliable sled goes MUCH farther than dealer set-up.

What's anyone else found?

So far, I've noticed the oil pump, found a part laying in the bottom (headlight adjuster cover), and also noticed how very poorly the intake seals.

The intake really has me wondering.... with hood flex etc.. while riding, could very easily allow heavy snow ingestion. obviously this would affect lubrication and or fuel delivery.

What's everyone else done to seal things up. I have taped the airbox along the seam like i've seen done by others, but I've also sealed up the intake entirely around where it meets the hood.

Just some fuel for conversation.

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
I've had to re-adjust mine ('08). Wasn't using enough oil. Some also were finding a large bubble in the main oil line heading to the pump (a high spot in the oil line was holding it) - might contribute to poor oil delivery. I think there was a thread about that last season.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I've heard of some guys having found issues, just wondering how wide spread it may be.

Somewhere I ran across a thread that say's guys are running 50-60:1 oil ratio's, and that's what Polaris is suggesting??? No way for me, 40:1 is the leanest i'll go. Never seen engine's wear well leaner, regardless of what oil. If I ran 50:1 or leaner, i'd plan for an rebuild yearly.

Haven't adjusted mine yet, but it's plenty rich (if im looking at it correctly through the mirror). The indicator on the moveable arm is 1/4" below the circle with the alignment mark.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I'm one of the ones who posted a thread last spring with pics on the oil bubble issue (that has since returned after bleeding the oil pump only after 2 rides.) I was going to update that thread when I got the time. Funny thing, I blamed the oil cap vent for it then and was told don't worry about it. (the vent not venting while the sled is on level ground since the sled is not hardly level when being ridden was the reason I was given).

Funny thing, when I cracked the bleeder screw open again this time, I got ZERO oil out of the bleeder. I let it sit for a couple minutes waiting...nothing. I only got oil when I un did the oil tank cap and then the oil came rushing out. I'm convinced this cap vent is an issue.

As for oil pump adjustment, mine was way too low. If you're throttle body adjustment has enough slack in it, you can adjust the cable at the adjustment on the cable at the bars. I watched the effects of this adjust on the oil pump and a little at this adjuster makes a big difference at the oil pump.

Don't forget to add a engine ground cable to your chassis ground. And also adding a pint of oil to each tank has probably saved mine.

Last edited:
X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Yeah i need to check the slack. Oil pump is supposed to be lined up/ move from the mark at the same time the TB's begin to open. That could be what's goin on, just need to verify it.

Have a link to a pic of how guys have added the engine ground?

And the oil cap vent thing seems very strange, yet could very likely be a problem. Sure hope not! Maybe epoxy in a seperate vent line with a check valve???

Edit: I'm assuming the cap is intended to be a constant vent (or is there a psi valve built into it)

Last edited:
R

rjkoll

Nov 4, 2009
I am also wondering if anyone has found a way to seal up between the air box and the runners to the throttle body. Mine is IMPOSSIBLE to seal. As soon as one side is on, I try to get the other one on and then it just pops off again. Anyone find anything that works for theirs?

I was also wondering...I just adjusted my oil because it was pretty rich and gumming up on my spark plugs a bit. The alignment notch was just slightly below the alignment circle, and I adjusted it to be just slightly above. Does this seam reasonable or would you guys recommend not going above the alignment circle? I am running legend oil on an 08 600.

R

rdnorman

Apr 19, 2008
What i did to check my oil consumption was fill my tank with gas add a pint of oil. make a mark on the oil tank fill to that mark w/ oil. then i rode it. when i got back from the ride i filled the tank with gas and then i took a measuring cup and measured the amount of oil it took to fill back up to the mark i made.

after you convert the mount of gas and the amount of oil to the same units you can get a ratio of the amount of gas/oil your engine is getting.

the pint of oil in the tank was just for insurance.

Last edited:

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
It is really sad you buy a new sled and have to tear it apart and fix everything before you dare ride it.We should be able to buy direct from polaris that way when the sled was prept you knew it was done right. Here are a few more things to look at belt to sheave clearance,relocate drain hole in dash,cover up adjustment knop for head lite,check clutch alignement,check all grease zerks [ half of mine did not work ] check all hoses to make sure they do not rub,check top heim bolts on upper a arms,both my wife and a riding partner were loose ,take your shocks off and have them rechecked for the correct psi,check tps setting, while you are at it send your clutch out and have it rebalanced, buy a v/r and ecu to carry with you to make sure you make it back to the truck, and do not forget to make your payment , one more thing order your gizmo,the mntfix and a pcv now if you have any money left you can go riding. I have a BAD ATTIDUDE

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I hear ya! Truthfully, I'd be doing it all with any new sled. it's something to do while I can't ride, and I also really enjoy working on sleds. I do feel like I need to be more precise with this 800 though. :face-icon-small-dis

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
on a positive note...Should have enough snow in the ditches tomorrow morning by the time I'm home from work. Might get to beat around a little here. Was hoping I could break it in before heading west.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I hope you enjoy your new sled. I too enjoy working on sleds I have done a fair amount to mine. As of now I have 2 600 I am getting ready for riding season both are getting slp pipe and cans ,mtx weights and all new springs, plus I make all of our venting. The 07 600 at 2000 +or- miles needed a whole new clutch it was cracked,rollers we shot and the weight bushing were worn,one of the coolant lines was rubed thru in two spots,the exhaust valve on the pto side had a striped out nut, how that happed is anyones guess,and the top heim bolt on the left a arm was loose it had a least 3/8 play in it, plus I will pull the skid out to fix the grease zerks that will not take grease.On mine I pulled the inner shafts and turned them down they were so tight the grease had no where to go now my skid works a lot easier.The oil pump settings were way off on both 600 my 700 was right but I think they set it at the dealer when they broke my oil pump trying to change a cable.Have they cut the corn yet haha

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Just took another glance at my oil pump.

The arm has the protruding pointer, and a center punch mark.

The arms center punch mark is lined up dead on with the pump alignment mark. Someone sure set it.........but has set it wrong.

The manual indicates the pointer is to be lined up with the pump alignment mark.

Why so many different oil pump arms, and markings? Talk about confusion.

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
Just took another glance at my oil pump.

The arm has the protruding pointer, and a center punch mark.

The arms center punch mark is lined up dead on with the pump alignment mark. Someone sure set it.........but has set it wrong.

The manual indicates the pointer is to be lined up with the pump alignment mark.

Why so many different oil pump arms, and markings? Talk about confusion.

What was the best way you found to get to the oil pump? I went to adjust mine today and decided having a dealer do it might be worth the $$$. Is there any some-what easier way to get to it then taking off the airbox and the throttle bodies?

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I removed the airbox and throttle bodies.

I'll probably end up pulling the engine in the morning to adjust it, and to install a return spring on the oil pump arm. This way i can check all the engine mount bolts while I'm at it.

Noticed that yesterday as well, the arm won't fully return on it's own.

They might as well just sell the sleds as kits and let us assemble them and get it done right the first time.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
What was the best way you found to get to the oil pump? I went to adjust mine today and decided having a dealer do it might be worth the $$$. Is there any some-what easier way to get to it then taking off the airbox and the throttle bodies?

Hopefully your dealer takes the time to reference the correct info for adjusting it. Mine is lined up perfectly.......on the wrong mark.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
That is why they call them dealers just like the ones on the street corner got yo money see ya .

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I did mine with the motor basically just sitting in there, not bolted down. I used one of those funky mirrors to get in there and see where it was at and then pull the motor to get a better angle and adjust. It is a major pain. Glad it doesn't have to be done often. Mine was off quite a ways too.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Alright, Oil pump is aligned.

Decided not to put a return spring on.

The arm does not return 100% if I ease off the throttle. If I release the throttle, or chop it (close it fairly quickly) it will then return 100%.

You guys might want to check it out and see if it's doing the same thing for you. And just keep in mind a little blip of the throttle might work.

Obviously, the spring is indeed a touch weak for the pump, or their is a pump problem itself. Either way, Ive found what will work for me.

Premium Features