• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What needs to be replaced/rebuilt on a 2000+ mile M7

A
I am looking to buy a used sled and most of them seem to be right around 2000 miles. When is it typically time to rebuild the top end of the motor and start replacing items such as boggie wheels, hi-fax, and bearings? Is there any other maintenance that needs to be preformed around 2000 miles? If there is a lot of items that need replacing would I be better off spending more money to buy a newer sled with less miles?

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
The engine should be good for many more miles. The clutches will probably need springs and secondary rollers. The A-arms will need new bushings and the shocks will need to be rebuilt. This is assuming nothing has been done to it, up to this point. I've seen 700's with over 7000 miles on, without a tear down.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
on an m7 check hifax, and change DD oil just because. clutch springs and rollers are are a good idea but not always needed, I would ride it once just to get a feel and go from there. 5000 miles is when I would start to question things

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
Rumor has it that the primarys last only about 2k miles on a mountain rode m7. I know that mine lasted a little over 2k and then it went. This is something that is worth looking at. Usually it is the spider that cracks. I don't know if anyone else has had problems with their recoils going out but my recoil did as well just after 2k miles.

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
I would inspect it thouroughly before buying the sled. Get an idea of what things cost and bid or dicker accordingly. Take a compression tester with you and test the motor after it has warmed up. Get a feel from the guy while talking to him about the maintenence performed on the sled. The over-all condition should tell you something as well. I have had 2 M-7's and loved them. Take the exhaust off and look in the Y-pipe at the piston skirts on the exhaust side. They almost always scuff on that side if there's a problem.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
its just getting broke in, have just over 5,000 miles on mine and am gonna put the first set of new pistons/rings in for this season. liked mentioned above i do my clutch and primary springs every season...

J
Jan 18, 2009
Sudbury, ON
It's a pretty solid motor. I have about 4000 miles on my 700 and i'm going to rebuild it shortly. It still has 140lbs compression and it has been through hell and back but I would rather rebuild it now then have something go wrong in the middle of winter.

S
Feb 21, 2009
same here

Just check compression,these sled are near bullet proof.Have 4000+ miles and have beat the hell out of it and always comes back for more.Stock everything.Just change the dd oil often:D

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Rumor has it that the primarys last only about 2k miles on a mountain rode m7. I know that mine lasted a little over 2k and then it went. This is something that is worth looking at. Usually it is the spider that cracks. I don't know if anyone else has had problems with their recoils going out but my recoil did as well just after 2k miles.

ditto on the primary thing, we have three m7s in our group and this last season all three of them lost the primarys right around 2k miles. we found a deal on the net and picked up '08 m8 primarys for a couple hundred bucks a piece so it wasnt bad. other than that the only other issue on all three is the exhaust side motor mounts cracked but they are not expensive. those are the only issues we've had with the sleds other than where and tear items like hyfaxs, clutch springs, etc... my m7 has been the most reliable sled i've owned.

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
motor mount

Also you should check motor mount on clutch side. I rode 05 m7 for 5000+ miles and I had to replace it twice. It will crack right were the crank goes through the mount, on the upper side. It is possibly to see the crack with primary on. It's not that big of a deal to change. The m7 is a very good sled.:D

Premium Features