• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vertical steering post for 1100t

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
In the picture it looked like you mounted it to the factory holes in the front so it looked as if the post may have been at that angle still although i guess you could have bored the hole at an angle as well. Another words the tubing for the bars are 90deg to the post.

Your right as your sitting on the sled left to right the post has a angle from vertical. The stock post does not allow room for this to be straight o I wish it did. Would have been 100x easier.

Looking at the sled from the side the post has gone from 40 degrees from vertical to 15 degrees from vertical.

The post angle as you sit on the sled is not a issue. The T will obivoulsy be on the sled on a flat plane. This will not affect the way that the post works. As the T will rotate on a flat plane still.

W
Nov 30, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Just looked at the progress of kingkat1150's vertical post all I can say is it will be worth the wait! He hopes to machine the part next week and put on my sled then he will post pictures. This thing has the geometry that I think is what people are asking for only time on the snow after will tell. One thing is for sure it will be strong as heck and look like it belongs there.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Just looked at the progress of kingkat1150's vertical post all I can say is it will be worth the wait! He hopes to machine the part next week and put on my sled then he will post pictures. This thing has the geometry that I think is what people are asking for only time on the snow after will tell. One thing is for sure it will be strong as heck and look like it belongs there.

Can't wait to see it.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Well. . . I finished my vertical post tonight and took it back off the sled and threw it in a box on the shelf. It was flexing more than I am comfortable with. So I shelved it for a later date. Without any snow in sight to test it here I will be running the stock post for the west yellowstone trip.

Do I think It can be made strong enough to work? Yes. The bottom line is that there is just alot of leverage on the end of the 6 inch riser. With a couple braces I am sure I would have been good to go but not sure enough for a 1000 mile drive to have a broken steering in the trees.

Another unrelated side note. I installed my tether tonight. . . After putting the hood back on I was not happy with the location that cat said to put it. So if any of you are doing that maybe try to find a better spot before drilling a 1/2 hole in the plastic where cat said to.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
When is the cat one suppose to come in?

I ordered it last wednesday when I picked up a replacement gasket. They didn't ask, but I would imagine mid to late Jan. I have a trip planned for the end of Janurary, so it would be epic if I got it in time for that.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Flexing steering post

Turbo583,
Sorry to here that you had to take your steering post off your sled. I thought it would have been stronger than that.
What part was flexing?

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Turbo583,
Sorry to here that you had to take your steering post off your sled. I thought it would have been stronger than that.
What part was flexing?

Mostly the top plate that I built. With some bracing to the side it may be alot better. But Honestly without riding it I would not know and we have 1 inch of snow in MN right now. So for now I will ride it stock. I am going to put a 3/4" spacer under the stock bushing as i think that will allow the hood and airbox to clear and give me a little different look at how the post and riser need to be.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
1 inch spacer

I put a 1 inch spacer under my steering post, it was a little better but not what I am looking for. I had to trim some plastic from the hood and mold the air box to get the hood to fit back in place.

3/4 inch spacer might fit!

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I put a 1 inch spacer under my steering post, it was a little better but not what I am looking for. I had to trim some plastic from the hood and mold the air box to get the hood to fit back in place.

3/4 inch spacer might fit!

We will see. . . Bringing home that heat gun to "clearance" the airbox. Triming the hood is not an option for me. I think the 3/4 is going to be better than stock. Not as good as my post I had but still better than stock and no worries about durability for this first trip.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Vertical steering post needed

I have rode my sled four times and have about 200 miles on it and am finding that I disliking the factory bar location more and more every time I ride it.
I put a 1 inch spacer under the factory steering post block and found that moved me forward on the sled and I seem to be banging my knees on the body work all the time now. The more I ride this sled the more I wish the steering post came up through the middle of the spar cap and was angled slightly to the rear of the sled, this sled is all ready heavy enough on the front end without adding my body weight to it, it needs more body weight transfered to the rear of the sled
We finally got more snow where I live so we are going out to do some logging road riding. I left the 1 inch block under my steering post but am trying a more rearward bar location.

Somebody needs to get a kit out for the M1100 Turbo that moves the steering post back not forward, it looks possible to me. If I had more time and the proper eguipment and tools I would like to try my idea.

Premium Features