• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 Apex MTX Boondocker Turbo Questions

S
Jun 22, 2011
Guys,

This is my first real sled and Turbo for that matter and I have some questions regarding setup and etc. It is a 2006 Apex 162 with a Boondocker Turbo with full guages, Team Clutch etc with 3500 miles on sled and 900 miles on turbo and clutch. It was set up for 3000 - 6000 ft elevation with 8-9# boost.

I ride from 7000 - 11000 in the mtns at Cooke City, Beartooths, and Big Horns. What is the process to set up the turbo and not cause damage, I do not want extreme power but want reliability and consistency? I will also need to adjust the clutch so which one do you do first and suggestions would be great as I am new to sleds with lots of dirt bike experience which really does not help in these matters.

Lastly the only major issue that I noticed with the sled is that the steering collum has allot of slack in it which I would guess is a bushing issue and I was wondering how to fix it and suggestions?

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
How many # of boost are you wanting to run? For the steering slop get some new bushings from oft racing. I ride in the horns and cooked as well

S
Jun 22, 2011
Phil, I want to learn the sled and not get to radical to begin with. I have not ridden sleds of this caliber ever and it has been 4 years. Therfore I want to keep the boost at 8-9# for now.

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
Your best bet is to call boondocker and ask them what they would recomend for clutching. Being that it is a efi turbo (turbos are altitude compensating plus efi) you souldnt have to change much. change the engine oil, check jackshaft bearings and fix those damn steering bushings lol! It was very common for them to develope slack in the steering my '07 is that way and so is my buddies '06. Call Boondocker and have them go through the fuel box with you so you can get familiar with that. There will be different fuel maps you can select for different elevations.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
I will have to give boondocker a call, how do you check the jackshaft bearings?
You will have to remove the snap ring that holds the bearing in then use a pick to remove the dust cap. We just repack ours once or twice a yr and they have never failed. Do the driveshaft bearing too.

You should be running 8BU Yamaha weights for the boost levels you want to run. Should also get a Blue/White/Blue or Blue/Brown/Blue primary spring. You may already have the 8BU's in there.
Don't know much about the Team clutch, but make sure the spring is new. A 4 yr old spring will be soft (if it is 4 yrs old).
The Team should shift nice up and down if the helix is steep enough.

Premium Features