• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Source for weld on sprockets

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
https://shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc?productId=548

I believe J&L snowhawk uses taper lock keyed hubs. (Available through mcmaster carr)
Probably plenty strong and much easier to change sprockets.
31a0a8de86ac9f4d700282703b0feb13.jpg

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
It doesn't look like they carry 520 chain or sprockets, just industrial ANSI and metric.
I need a weldon sprocket for my mototrax. Since motocrap won't return my email and I'll have to mod it again.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
It doesn't look like they carry 520 chain or sprockets, just industrial ANSI and metric.

I need a weldon sprocket for my mototrax. Since motocrap won't return my email and I'll have to mod it again.

50 ansi sprockets fit 530 chain.

Or you can grind or machine the ansi sprocket thinner until 520 chain fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

E
Dec 19, 2007
I was hoping to find a 17t 520. The 530 is pretty fat.
I have a lathe but never has luck cutting hardened steel. Is there any easy way to cut the center out of a splined sprocket?

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I was hoping to find a 17t 520. The 530 is pretty fat.
I have a lathe but never has luck cutting hardened steel. Is there any easy way to cut the center out of a splined sprocket?

I’ve spun and ground ansi sprockets to 520 width.
(Keep it cool for hardening). It’s not too bad.

You could always buy a front sprocket that fits a bike with a huge output shaft.
(Then the center hole would fit over whatever)

Would probably take some research.

A 17t 16 ts sprocket is flat with a 1” 6 spline center hole.
Could grab the outside in the lathe chuck and lean on a die grinder inside it.

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
smooth bore

I have build from scratch 5 snow bike that used smooth bore steel sprockets.

what I found is good price and best quality was Japanese steel sprockets, wore really well and a little tough to machine but, machined smooth and nice.

The more common industrial hardend steel sprockets, I just chucked them in my lathe at high speed, ground then thin with a 6" hand held grinder, takes about 3 minutes, maybe, just cover your ways with some canvas or something to keep the grindings out of your glides on the lathe.

I just did a set for a guy that owns one of my old handbuilts, he brought me some Chineese hardened, I just ground them.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Thanks for the good ideas. If i can hand grind the surface hardening off will it cut like mild steel or does the hardness go all the way through?

Premium Features