• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who has the most miles on their Silber?

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
I am looking at buying a silber turbo for my T3. Nothing against other brands just simply want it for bolt on reasons. I am curious about the longevity and reliability of this system. I know it is turbo and may always need a nurse. So, who has the most miles on their silber and have you had any major issues with it? Any input is appreciated and yes I have looked for other people's threads.

bmiller1985

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2013
merrimac, wi
Bad wastegate, over pressure on my turbo that blew Mobil one through my engine, would take forever to build boost. I put 200 miles on the sled total, I even drove to them to fix it, then after constant issues they basically quit helping. Also asked about the big lag I had and was told until they can get into the ECU there's nothing that can be done about it. I spent the extra, and it's pretty involved on install, and bought an impulse. Best thing I ever did, for response and driveability it's awesome. Talk to Hobbes on here as well, he went through the same issues. Most of the people listed as dealers for Silber have horror stories to share as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Spend the extra and buy a better kit. Dont touch a silber.....especially for an xm. EVERY person I have ever heard of with one has taken it off. Aerocharger boost it and TSS both have bolt on kits that are very reasonably priced. Especially for the boost it or tss with the exchange rate.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I've not been a huge fan of Silber in the past but a buddy has a XM kit and I believe with the right clutching this year we can make it work good. I bought a Silber external kit myself that I'm gonna give a try. Components of the kit are equal to many. Kpa turbo is same as tss. Fuel controller is same as aerocharger. The silicone in the kit is nice. We shall see but I think the Silber kit can be made to run as good as the aerocharger I hear good things about. I think a huge deal is no two sleds are the same.

bmiller1985

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2013
merrimac, wi
Couldn't agree with Turbo11T more. If you can figure it out I hope they put you on payroll. Every time I tried riding mine I spent more time diagnosing and repairing it than I did riding it. With my impulse, no more control box that I have to mess with, sound kit with awesome components, good support from Paul and Zeb. Basically if you want something to install and enjoy, I still stand with the impulse, you have down can't beat their fuel management system or the cleanliness of their product

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Hmmm, my riding partner had one on his Xm for two years and I thought it ran great. Never noticed big turbo lag. Drove it a couple times. Not sure what Is going on with all the problems. He is putting another Silber on his Axys.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Hmmm, my riding partner had one on his Xm for two years and I thought it ran great. Never noticed big turbo lag. Drove it a couple times. Not sure what Is going on with all the problems. He is putting another Silber on his Axys.

From what I have read, researched, filtered from the internet is some have had great experiences with the silber kits. This can be said about the pro, cat and Doo. Some think that the turbo kit is going to be as clean of a tune as a stock sled. It just isn't. Especially on a ETEC until someone comes up with a solution to pull some fueling from the bottom end during throttle stabs. We are talking about a MOD using a fairly simple unsophisticated fueling solution that is not designed to factor in even a simple thing such as air temp and charge air temp.

My personal experience with a buddy that had a doo the first year was that the clutching that came that year for the doo was a shot in the dark and wasn't close. Likely destroy reeds from overrevving do to clutching. Then hard to clutch a motor a motor with bad reeds and hard to tune a motor with bad reeds. Once you get done fighting with that your so sick and tired of the sled you just want to throw the kit in the garbage, the honeymoon is over and well to be honest it never began. Correct clutching is so much part of the package. I believe that Justin has a much better solution than he had the first year. The clutch kit is going to cost more than the "kit" that came with your turbo kit. But consists of springs for both clutches, ramps, weights, and a helix. Compared to the "kit" that was a primary spring and a lot of weight for the clutch.

That being said I believe that with the right clutching and keeping it off the rev limiter and being aware of any odd running issue possibly being reeds I think that they can be made to work well. Also time spent when installing the kit. I found that needing to shorten the silicone charge tube to reduce rubbing in a few areas, rerouting slightly some wiring and other fine details will bring longevity to a system.

Lastly I noticed that on my XM silber silicon airbox charge tube that I needed to trim some flash where it started to Y. It would have been very restrictive.

I honestly can need some antidepressants after reading the forums, I think it is really important to remember that you need to take everything you read with a grain of salt.

I am super excited to throw my leg over my XM with the Silber kit. That being said I know that keeping it running consistent will take user input. I am ok with that.

Last edited:

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
I have talked with a few knowlegable people on the kits for the etec. The fueling is programmable and can be figured out pretty easy. The issue is the way the Rave valves work on the Etec. If a throttle stab occurs while the rave is in motion it needs to complete its motion before it can react to the new info from ecm. The only reason you dont have the issue stock is the turbo multiplies those responses and they show up . Im no expert but I witnessed 3 builds on XM's last season and rode with all three sleds on 2 different trips, are they perfect? 98% of the time yes can you get them to burp if you try to hit that sweet spot maybe. but for the most part the sleds just ripped

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
From what I have read, researched, filtered from the internet is some have had great experiences with the silber kits. This can be said about the pro, cat and Doo. Some think that the turbo kit is going to be as clean of a tune as a stock sled. It just isn't. Especially on a ETEC until someone comes up with a solution to pull some fueling from the bottom end during throttle stabs. We are talking about a MOD using a fairly simple unsophisticated fueling solution that is not designed to factor in even a simple thing such as air temp and charge air temp.

My personal experience with a buddy that had a doo the first year was that the clutching that came that year for the doo was a shot in the dark and wasn't close. Likely destroy reeds from overrevving do to clutching. Then hard to clutch a motor a motor with bad reeds and hard to tune a motor with bad reeds. Once you get done fighting with that your so sick and tired of the sled you just want to throw the kit in the garbage, the honeymoon is over and well to be honest it never began. Correct clutching is so much part of the package. I believe that Justin has a much better solution than he had the first year. The clutch kit is going to cost more than the "kit" that came with your turbo kit. But consists of springs for both clutches, ramps, weights, and a helix. Compared to the "kit" that was a primary spring and a lot of weight for the clutch.

That being said I believe that with the right clutching and keeping it off the rev limiter and being aware of any odd running issue possibly being reeds I think that they can be made to work well. Also time spent when installing the kit. I found that needing to shorten the silicone charge tube to reduce rubbing in a few areas, rerouting slightly some wiring and other fine details will bring longevity to a system.

Lastly I noticed that on my XM silber silicon airbox charge tube that I needed to trim some flash where it started to Y. It would have been very restrictive.

I honestly can need some antidepressants after reading the forums, I think it is really important to remember that you need to take everything you read with a grain of salt.

I am super excited to throw my leg over my XM with the Silber kit. That being said I know that keeping it running consistent will take user input. I am ok with that.
I would have to say that is my exact experience with my silber T3. I am currently working with dynamo Joe on clutching now. This is my first turbo and first in my riding group. I can honestly say I have am happy with it. I would imagine there are better running turbo then mine but I am newb to turbos.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Figured I would share my experience from the year.

I honestly couldn't be more happy with how my turbo'ed xm runs. I will not call it a silber turbo anymore because it is not. I am running a boost-it control box. It runs clean and makes good power. I do question whether or not a different turbo such as a garrett gtx might spool faster or even a KPA with a billet wheel. Quite honestly though mine runs great and the power is there when needed. A good friend of mine that rides with the thunderstruck guys(much better rider then me) took the sled for a few rips two weekends ago in CO and I was amazed at what the sled is capable of. Also in the fact that the rider with little time on a xm was able to make it perform in the way that he did. He said that downhill turns on this sled are 10x better than the proclimb chassis he has the most experience on.

So no negative from me on my first year back on a turbo 2 stroke. I put on only about 500 miles this year but the machine was really pull and go. I do maintain it between rides but I wasn't tinkering each and every day when riding.

I think the key was the boost-it box though. I can't say enough good about the guys at Boost-it. I didn't buy the box from them but they did help me out when I had a couple questions.

M

mocflats

Jan 21, 2009
1023 miles on a 14 xm 10 lbs on avgas just changed first set of reeds no problems so far

Premium Features