• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IF YOU WERE TO SIT WITH THE ENGINEERS TO DISCUSS THE THE AXYS... WHAT WOULD YOU ASK?

Nooby

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
NE Nebraska
After a couple hundred miles on the Axys:
A tether is a must!
Top of the line sled should have top of the line safety.
SHOCKS!! Lets put some REAL shocks on the best mountain sled built to date!
Handlebar controls for lights, dash control and hand/thumb warmers.
Storage that works as claimed.
I'm hoping Polaris will step up and deal with the electrical issues like the TPS, TSS and poor connections.
This sled is a super ride in the steep and deep. It craves and preys on deep snow. It just rips!

I am by no means a good rider but this sled sure makes my old azz look like one.
Thank you Polaris .
And, Thank you MH for starting the thread. You are a true asset to this forum.

Nooby

sledneck322

Premium Member
Sep 26, 2013
ADK's
At this point I will just be repeating what others have said but figured I would add it anyway. First of all I love my Axys SKS but here is what I feel should be changed to make it even better.

1) Footwell hoops - not enough clearance and dangerous due to trapping even my size 11 Klim Adrenaline gtx boots in there . They need to be bigger or have the option to be removed.

2) Larger heated glove box - great idea and super happy to finally have one, but it needs to be bigger.

3) Thumb warmers - Once again the thumb warmers give off so little heat it is about non existent. More voltage needs to be delivered with more insulation to keep the heat. This has been an issue for years and always with all the RMK's in our group.

4) Last but certainly not least - A-ARMS. I am sure I do not need to expand on this as it is known issue. I will be amazed if the same design is used again next year. It needs to be strengthened or redesigned.

Hopefully the boys at Polaris read this post and the info everyone has provided.

KStrand

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 25, 2010
MN
If u have the PIDD it would be nice to be able to send your location to another axys in the group that has the PIDD. Would come in handy sometimes.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
I love this new sled. 163 x 3. Been on Polaris' since 1999.
99' 800 RMK 136"
2003 800 RMK 151"
2004 800 Pro-XR 121",
2005 900 159"
2008 800 Dragon 163"
2011 800 Pro 163"
now a 2016 Axys 800 163".

Lots of good points in this thread !
Too add, I would put a storage compartment in the back of the seat like the 80's & 90's sleds. Be nice to get the spare belt out from under the hood, as it gets in the way of my muffpot.
And Love the fact that I could get the 3" with a chaincase and steel drive shaft, as I'm not a fan of the quickdrive. So hopefully they keep that an option.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
First off... I want to keep this constructive.
So... No comments like "this XX-part is Junk"... "or Ride a Doo/Cat/Yami"
I'll delete those quickly.

Please keep comments about others posts in this thread to a minimum.. Just a place to air YOUR desires for the 2017 sleds.

If you want to see something improve... For example the A-Arms... Be specific with your input... articulate what you like or don't like... and give some examples of how you would improve it.

The engineers and production managers DO look at these kinds of threads... and value solid input...

So...

What would like to see in the 2017 Axys-Mountain Line up?

I have the GPS dash on my RMK. I like the track back feature. It would be cool if you could add something like Google Earth to it to be able to tell if there are meadows or openings in trees that you could aim for.

Another feature that would be really cool is if you could link to other sleds. This would be great for both trail and mountain/ boondockers. If you could have each sled have a different color dot on the map, you could tell exactly where all the sleds in your riding group were at. For trail guys it would be great to take a look down at the dash and see that your group or family were behind you and moving down the trail. I believe Garmin has something like this with their Rhino Series GPS/Radio units.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
- adjustable foot wells (mandatory to avoid a lawsuit)
- brake on driveshaft
- way better shocks
- adjustable coupling of the skid.
- stronger mount points for the front bumper
- heated spare goggle holder.
- display that shows other riders similar to garmin rino (this option would sell more sleds because it would just show polaris riders. Therefore more safety in the mountains or trail riding being able to track everyone. Peer pressure for everyone in the group to buy polaris for safety)
- optional gearing for the quick drive

Superduty348

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
BC
-longer lasting motor, 3-4 seasons
-tether cord
-better a-arms that don't bend as easy
-stronger front bumper
-36" front end as an option

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
- display that shows other riders similar to garmin rino (this option would sell more sleds because it would just show polaris riders. Therefore more safety in the mountains or trail riding being able to track everyone. Peer pressure for everyone in the group to buy polaris for safety)
That would indeed be a gamebreaker in this segment of backcountry riding!

And to broaden the horizon abit. Lets try get some sort of bluetooth support for headsets. So lets say you are 4 friends riding that makes a new riding group in the IDD. Invite all of them via bluetooth and also have it linked to a headset. That way you could see your friends on the gps map and also see which one is talking on the screen.
Just make a small loudspeaker icon above their arrow/icon when they speak.

The first company that does incorporate this kind of safety thinking for backcountry sleds will indeed take it to the next level. So lets hope Polaris jumps on this bandwagon first! :eyebrows:

- Factory installed tether!!!!!
- More rigid front ends and a 36" option.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
-TPS adjusted correctly from the factory
-Sled setup for the average male - 185lbs to 205lbs (there are more guys this size riding than smaller dudes)
-better shock valving. The vavling (and perhaps quality) of the stock WE's are terrible
-electrical connections quality (my dirt bikes always work perfect, even after pressure washing, why can't a sled that's MADE to go in SNOW!)
-A tether (coded), and remove the key just the Doo
-more foothold room, agreed - its scary tight!!
-coated tunnels and boards on ALL models that shed snow
-better switches in a better loaction, or perhaps indications of the switch position on the dash at a minimum
-an electronic gas gauge (its' already in there!)
-better rear bumper - the CF is cool, just make it thicker/stronger/knurled

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
While Polaris seems to make the belt drive work for them, I'd like to see them put a tensioner on it. It would help the boost guys a lot.

Edit... agreed on the above post for a factory installed tether. Encourage people to be safe.

B
Mar 8, 2011
How about if you snow check.
1. Klim Jacket, Bibs, Helmet and Gloves. ( Choice between Keweenaw, Klimate, Kinetic series.
2. Mounted Go Pro.
3. Shock choice ( Fox, Walker Evans )
4. Tether factory installed

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Dear Poo engineers,

Please finish your motor. You have all the components now.

Take an ETEC 'putor apart and figure out how the made an EPA compliant, low rpm, high compression, tight squish motor live det free.

J
Mar 9, 2008
- They already have a dongle for the sled wiring harness to connect to your phone like DW. It would be nice if they would make it available to the consumer to help with troubleshooting issues.
- Make the fancy IDD standard so they can update funtionality continuously to all.
- Have a TPS voltage and sweep display screen on IDD to easily check it.
- GPS that tracks other riders location, can sell a electronic gizmo to riders of other brands so you can keep track of them too.
- Ridelite type of feature stock,for trail, to indicate to on coming traffic of group size.
- Larger dash box.
- Digital throttle, with performance mode options.

B

bbecker17

Jan 29, 2012
Saskatchewan
instead of the coolers running along the outside of the tunnel it would be nice for the coolers to run down the middle, i think that would help with snow build up on running boards/tunnel,

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
600 cc option, electric start option, 144 sks with front cooler, (1.6"-2.25" lug) (without tipped up rails), front a arms strong enough to withstand some punishment, and reasonably, narrow/adjustable 38-41, better shock package, a motor and electronics package, that will last a few seasons, without being in the shop weekly. factory tether, a DECENT rear bumper, QUALITY POWERCOATED RAILS, THAT WONT CHIP OFF AND LOOK LIKE CRAP AFTER A FEW RIDES. build it and they will come. Ski

Last edited:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
It would be nice if Polaris would utilize what the aftermarket has done with the fix it/durability kits.

Lift the cylinder bank up .250", use taller pistons to compensate and let the engine get more crankcase volume (AKA more air) and less stress on the piston skirts. Maybe massage the ports a little and I think they could easily attain the 165HP the Doo 850 has without designing a whole new engine.

MtnTK Kit: https://www.mtntkperformance.com/engine-performance/performance-kit-0

Bikeman: http://bikemanperformance.com/snowmobile/polaris/axys-800/bmp-800-cfi-polaris-durability-kit.html

BDX/SSI: http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=233&controller=produc

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
- They already have a dongle for the sled wiring harness to connect to your phone like DW. It would be nice if they would make it available to the consumer to help with troubleshooting issues.
- Make the fancy IDD standard so they can update funtionality continuously to all.
- Have a TPS voltage and sweep display screen on IDD to easily check it.
- GPS that tracks other riders location, can sell a electronic gizmo to riders of other brands so you can keep track of them too.
- Ridelite type of feature stock,for trail, to indicate to on coming traffic of group size.
- Larger dash box.
- Digital throttle, with performance mode options.

I like this these ideas, definitely an out of the box thinker, but all good useful, user friendly helpful ideas. Bring them to us. Please!

As to the E-start; it would be very easy to change three parts and have a real electric start without all the weight gain. First a lightweight bolt on gear for the flywheel side, sandwiched between the flywheel and starter cup. Second re-cast the recoil housing with a starter mount into it. Third update the starter motor to a lighter weight high speed motor with a compact gear reduction that bolts to the recoil housing. A featherweight battery option would be the icing on the cake. Additionally the 1930's have come and gone the electronics you have been using on theses sleds need to be brought into the current century. Some of the parts and methods are just antiquated.

And my pet peeve; the stupidly small drivers. If I buy any new sled that is the first change on my list and it ends up costing me Thousands of dollars due to your bandaided designs.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
I would ask the engineers what it would take to bring a true 146" Axys Mountain sled to the table. I'm tired of torsion sprung 450+ lb options for this class. I want a sled that I can ride in the midwest and UP, but still be a capable backup for my Axys RMK on my western trips. I'm cringing at the thought of spending 14K on a sled that needs a ton of work to be an RMK. The series 4 2" track, haven't you run it long enough? Its the same track that came on my 06 600. Please, Please, Please update the tracks in the 144-146 range.

Id ask why there are redundant models, you have an SKS and Assault RMK which are very similar but I cant get a 144" sled that doesn't weigh 450 lbs?? Really?

Id ask why there are no longer grease zerks anywhere but they still insist on putting grease this every 1k miles in the maint log/owners manual... I know how your supposed to do it, just saying hardly anyone IS doing it.

I'd ask Why there is no fuel filter on the Axys that is replaceable

Id ask about getting small lightweight rechargeable battery pack to run my IDD when the sled is off.

All of this is probably present in the previous pages, but these are questions I would love answers to.

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
Why are you still using the same fuel gauge/cap as you were in the 80's?

Why haven't you put the fuel injectors in the case? I would like to see some fuel in the cases be mixed with the oil and brought up all the ports so the Pistons get better oiling instead of whatever is left from the crank bearings getting brought up as oil alone. Could also actually do something when you premix your fuel for break in or the guys that want to run premix. The grooves in the piston was a poor bandaid for a bad oil system which leads to your engine failures in my opinion.

The biggest concern of all is stop screwing your customers. If we buy a sled in December and then you keep offering insentitives and sell sleds for 3 grand less in febuary and march we really take it in the shorts when you want to sell the December sleds to upgrade to the next year model.

I would really like to see your dealers educated better. Most customers won't go to your dealers unless it's for warranty as they are incompetent. Not all dealers but there are more than not.

Premium Features