• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FACTORY TURBO... IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE??

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
In the AXYS forum thread about peoples wishes for changes to the AXYS-mtn sleds... Quite a few people have said they would like to see a factory turbo.

I'm wondering if this is even possible.

Concerns

1) Meeting emissions regulations? Can a 2 stroke turbo meet this... lots of unburnt hydrocarbons out of the exhaust.

2) 2 stroke EFI systems would be very difficult to run, reliability, in a closed loop type of setup.

3) Noise levels?

4) Reliability with a warranty? Or... Like race MX, no warranty on the sled?

5) Cost?

Lets hear your thoughts!

ProRide800155

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
I believe you will never see a factory installed turbo!! Dew to epa reg. I do however see a dealer installed from manufacture that will not void warranty! It will prob only be a 4-5 psi kit. That's where aftermarket will come into play and start bumping boost levels and that will void warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
imagine a factory turbo 800.. it would be so restriced from the factory, a simple pipe and software upgrade would net HUGE power.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
If you take a look at the automotive industry there is no doubt the can make it efferent and clean. Will require much more technology then they are running now. Snowmobile engine control systems are very primitive compared to what the automotive industry is using. Will be expensive.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Cost I think will be a big factor, new sled prices are already pricing a lot of people out of the new sled market. 20k sleds is not the way to grow the sport...

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
i;d like to see the same motor the axys has now just about 1100 cc from the factory at 210 hp or so :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-coo lol why do all the manufactures stick with the crazy 800cc's not like there a rule or anything lol:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
In my mind, not going to happen. They build stock sleds for people to get on and ride with little maintenance. Turbos require a little more diligence and maintenance that the "average" consumer won't do. Nothing but a headache for Polaris.

I would like to see them do what Yamaha did a few years back and offer it as an aftermarket "authorized" add on with actual competitive prices.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I don't see it happening. Most turbo sleds can't even get 1000 miles out of a set of reeds,no way Polaris could warranty something like that. It would be a low boost kit and people would still be buying aftermarket parts trying to up the boost after the first day of riding it, might as well just buy a stock sled and put the aftermarket kit of your choice on it. I would rather see a new factory big bore NA engine.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I don't see it happening. Most turbo sleds can't even get 1000 miles out of a set of reeds,no way Polaris could warranty something like that. It would be a low boost kit and people would still be buying aftermarket parts trying to up the boost after the first day of riding it, might as well just buy a stock sled and put the aftermarket kit of your choice on it. I would rather see a new factory big bore NA engine.

i have 2000 miles on my old school m8 with 9/10 psi at 4500/6500 feet i have never had a reed problem 3071/ with billit hta 3 dagrees advancrd timing 35% 110 with 91 stock head and i rip on it pretty good and have yet to go through a reed so thats not the issue somwwhere between 6/8 psi ,if epa regs are met technology is there i beleive. With a good motor.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
A turbo makes alot of sense,
I would be happy to keep all of the 160 stock hp @ 10k ---> Im not greedy..
So a pump gas 190hp sled?
I could see that happening!
Its the customer ----> us!
That would have to play/modify
Tune and wastegate----> easy hp left on table
Blow up motor cause AV gas is too complicated...Swap all back to stock... To repair under warranty of course.. And then bad mouth Poo on the the forums cause its a POS..
We are the reason Poo or Doo wont make a stock turbo sled..

A

Aerocharger_Brad

Jun 28, 2010
www.aerocharger.com
In the AXYS forum thread about peoples wishes for changes to the AXYS-mtn sleds... Quite a few people have said they would like to see a factory turbo.

I'm wondering if this is even possible.

Concerns

1) Meeting emissions regulations? Can a 2 stroke turbo meet this... lots of unburnt hydrocarbons out of the exhaust.

2) 2 stroke EFI systems would be very difficult to run, reliability, in a closed loop type of setup.

3) Noise levels?

4) Reliability with a warranty? Or... Like race MX, no warranty on the sled?

5) Cost?

Lets hear your thoughts!

Yes
1. Can be done
2. Do not use close loop
3. Not an issue. Turbine takes a lot of the noise out. VATN take even more because there is not a wast gate.
4. Reliability is very good when all things are done properly.
5. Cost, Ding Ding Ding you found the issue. I few years in a row of good snow and people willing pay and it could become a reality.

Just my 2 cents.

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
I believe that they can make it happen even if dealers have to install the kit to work around the emission status of leaving the factory.... I think the big question is how many people would be on board and snow check with the option of having a 1 year warranty factory pump gas turbo for there new Axys? This sled does very well getting on the snow!!! It is snappy off the bottom, has great midrange just needs a little help on top, ok maybe more than just a little ;) But a true 6 to 7 lbs would probably be real close to what we need, we can always use more in 3 ft of fluff but lets not get greedy!!! If they could give us the true 6 or 7 and keep the reliability in check and the price tag at a reasonable cost I know i would be on board... I feel that they raised the Bar with the Axys over the Pro, so why not raise the Bar again!! Lets think positive people...

Last edited:
Premium Features