• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

REV to buy or not to buy?

S

Ski-Doosh

Aug 1, 2014
Delta Jct AK
I am considering buying a 05 summit 800 with 2000 miles on it for around 3000 bucks. It is not rebuilt and I am concerned about engine reliability and am wondering what to look for as far as problems it might have. It is summer so I can't get a test drive. Wondering how many more miles it has on it and when i should rebuilt it or sell it. Also what problems specifically in this model to look for. Thanks for your input.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I am considering buying a 05 summit 800 with 2000 miles on it for around 3000 bucks. It is not rebuilt and I am concerned about engine reliability and am wondering what to look for as far as problems it might have. It is summer so I can't get a test drive. Wondering how many more miles it has on it and when i should rebuilt it or sell it. Also what problems specifically in this model to look for. Thanks for your input.

solid yr. typically good for another 2K miles if its been taken care of.check compression and crank runnout

Last edited:
C
Nov 18, 2013
Plains MT
800 REV

I have the same sled. Crank went out at about 2300 miles. Put a new crate motor in it and rode it for another year till I picked up my XM. Still have the sled and my 13 year old son now rides it. Really good sled with lots of power that still runs strong. Get your primary clutch balanced, we think that is what caused my crank to go.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
check your carb boots for separating and cracks, 04`s are know for this problem I believe same with 05`.

take airbox out if you find belt small belt fiber buildup or fibers in the inlets of the carbs, then remove the outter air box and you will find about 6 oval type holes that would set between the airbox and the sidepanel, cover them with fine fine mesh most guys glue in some womens pantyhose material over the holes, they suck in belt fiber dust in thru the outer airbox the inner airbox and that's where the much in the box and carb inlets come from, they all do it.

07` inner airbox also flows more air and performs better. (bigger air inlet)

also check the exhaust manifold bolts they loosen up and even fall out, can install nordik washers on them and stop this issue also, these are the most suggestions I got when I purchased my 04 800ho.

Good Luck, Wildcard

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood

I bought one with about same miles had to do topend about 1000 miles later and it was rebuilt before i got it and rode hard but had lots put into it before i got it 4 yrs ago, now my loaner sled but we still love her but as others stated carb boots go bad and so does primary clutch (they quit making some replacemnt parts for it) i you buy it look for a rebuilt clutch before they are all gone, also drinks 2 to 3 times oil an gas of the newer etec motors on newer sleds.

Premium Features