• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does Anybody Run A Carb Heater?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Is this heater eliminating carb freezing?

Last saturday I experienced the worst carb icing day ever and don't want to relive another day like that. From what I can tell if the carb it's self is below freezing and the air coming in is warmer than the carb then you get that air condensing at the intake and freezing to it. I don't know how accurate that statement is but the weather was blue bird and warm (the snow was falling out of the tree's) and my carburetor was completely covered in snow all day. What I noticed was the longer I held the throttle wide open the more iced up the carb would get.

My bike is a KTM 300 and I am either going to install their carb heater or try to wrap my carb with insulation to keep it warmer.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
GET IT HEATED

i NOTICED THIS last year with the kx500. if hard on the throttle even for a short burst it would start runnnig reallly crapy. Seem cause the 2stroke sucks in way more air that it is effected more than the 4 strokes. I just welded a aluminum tube below the intake flange on the carb and plumbed coolant through it, then made a little plastic box to go around the carb to keep snow off. worked very well then. you should just get the ktm heater and build a box around the carb and should be good.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i NOTICED THIS last year with the kx500. if hard on the throttle even for a short burst it would start runnnig reallly crapy. Seem cause the 2stroke sucks in way more air that it is effected more than the 4 strokes. I just welded a aluminum tube below the intake flange on the carb and plumbed coolant through it, then made a little plastic box to go around the carb to keep snow off. worked very well then. you should just get the ktm heater and build a box around the carb and should be good.

That's probably what I will end up doing I just hate to drill a hole in my carb especially since I am not planning on running this bike next year. Next season I will be saddling up a CR500 to ride in the snow covered mountains.

Premium Features