• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'07 Summit rear skid

H

HPJUNKIE

Nov 5, 2003
Has anyone had good luck revalving the stock X/XRS shock to improve it's rebound capabilities? It seems the stock rear shock is good for a few hits, then starts to "pack down" & rebounds less with each stroke. This soon results in a rear that is out of control!

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
usually its the springs that go first, that might be your problem. You can use thicker oil in the shocks i heard but that wont help with your rebounding, its mostly the springs that control your rebounding. You can get stiffer rear springs than the ones that come stock on the 07 x/xrs.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Valving controls both compression and rebound damping. Springs are for support (to get proper sag with rider weight). You can get your X/XRS rebuildable shocks revalved at several reputable shops. BJ likes Fett Bros, I've had very good luck with Hygear but am now trying Tom's air suspension in my '07 (with adjustable rebound). Most will use a higher flow piston design with custom valving to allow for "speed sensitive" damping. This means the harder the hit, the more compression and rebound damping without affecting small bump fast damping characteristics (what every rider is after). Honestly tho the '07 valving was acceptable from the factory (certainly better than all previous years); sounds to me like you lost some nitrogen charge (needs to be re-charged at least once a year).

As for how often you should re-valve... only once if you have a good tuner! You need to service your shocks every season if you want peak performance. That typically includes new oil, seals and nitrogen charge. Loss of nitrogen = loss of return leading some chasing stiffer springs and ending up with an even rougher ride.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
H

HPJUNKIE

Nov 5, 2003
I ended up sending my shocks to Tim @ Enzo suspension (Canada). Complete re-build & custom re-valve & all new springs. I will give a review once I hit the snow. Everyone I talked to here in Alberta (who understood my issues/complaints) suggested him. Informative, along with quick turn around & great customer service. If you plan on keeping your rev for a while, it's well worth it! (Tell him Glenn sent you!)

Premium Features