• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil in a 1981 Pantera

L
Jan 24, 2012
I bought a 1981 Arctic Cat Pantera. Cleaned it up and am servicing it for some of the kids to ride up and down the trails near my cabin. I was wondering if anyone knows how to properly check and service the oil in the chaincase. ( There is a case on the right side of the engine and a oil fill spot on top of it, I guess thats what you call it ) What type of oil goes in there, how much and where is the drain? There is no dipstick.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
LL

2001MC800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
rapid city, sd
if you havent figured it out yet the drain should be a bolt inside the tunnel and any chain case oil will work just ask a dealer how much and they should know

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I can look on my 1980 Trail Cat, should be similar. I just did the oil last yr and recall a plug near the bottom, ie fill it up to that plug, couple inches from the bottom.
If you go to the alpha-sports website, they have the parts diagrams all the way back to the 70's models.
Chaincase is the same p/n as my 1980 TC and I remember a fill plug near the bottom. Fill it to that and you'll be good.
I don't recall a drain plug, but you should pull the cover (4 bolts) anyway to inspect the chain, gears and tensioner and claan it up. Be careful with the rubber seal to re-use it. Put a light coat of rtv sealant on the gasket if it's not in perfect condition, at least around the bottom few inches where the oil sits.
On older chaincases, about any oil will work. Do not use gear oil with high viscosity due to low oper temps. Chain case oil reccomended, but engine oil, manual trans oil and even atf will work.

Premium Features