• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KLIM Insulated vs. Non-Insulated

R

Ride_The_Rockies

Jun 19, 2002
Utah
I am upgrading my 8+ year old Klim gear with new KLIM gear but I am not sure what to get. It will be either the Valdez & Togwotee or Klimate parka and bibs. I like the looks of the Klimate better but not sure if the insulation will be too heavy and bulky or not. I do not like the thigh zippers on the Togwotee bibs but I prefer to layer so I can add or subtract layers depending on temp.

Comments please.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Uninsulated

Proper layering will allow you to adjust for different weather conditions. By wearing an insulated jacket it limits your choices.

Unless of course if you are one of those people who gets super cold no matter what.

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
I bought the Klimate coat. If i had it to do over again I'd get a shell and layer. Love my Togwotee bibs though.

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
Depends on your riding ... Trails go insulated. I ride the mountains not much trail riding. I ride in the togwotee bibs and the powercross pullover. Base layer and a thin fleece sweater. have never been too hot, or too cold..

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I have 3 years (going on 4 this year) on my Klimate coat, Togwotee bibs. The combination works great for me, no complaints... if I start to get too hot, I just unzip my coat a bit.

I hate wearing a bunch of layers and feeling like 'the Michelin man'

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
I have 3 years (going on 4 this year) on my Klimate coat, Togwotee bibs. The combination works great for me, no complaints... if I start to get too hot, I just unzip my coat a bit.

I hate wearing a bunch of layers and feeling like 'the Michelin man'

If you feel like the Michelin Man you need to work on your layering choices.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I use the klimate bib and valdez parka. Just got my new gear a few weeks ago. The 2011 klimate bibs no longer have that bulky velcro pouch on the front chest, and the 2011 valdez parka is the best coat they've made although it seems to be a little bigger than my 09 valdez.

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
I have always rode with 3 layers, aggressor base, inferno mid, valdez shell and togwotee bibs, perfect combo! If I get a little warm, just unzip some vents... I bought a powercross shell and freeride pants this year to try out. I love Klim! They have incredible stuff, I have never been to cold or wet wearing their stuff.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
It all depends on your riding. If you are a mountain rider, then definitely go with the non-insulated and get the right layers.

Outerlayer - Valdez Parka or Tomohawk Parka + Togwotee Bibs
Midlayer - Inferno Jacket (or other fleece jacket)
Baselayer - Agressor Base (or other non-cotton underwear layer).

Buy a Valdez Parka at www.snowbigdeal.com and get a FREE mid-layer.

Premium Features