• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 Indy 500 Clutch Puller

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
I have a 2000 Indy 500 with the Liberty motor. I went to pull the clutch with my Edge style Liberty puller and it won't fit into the hole where the clutch bolt went in. Tried my Fuji fan clutch puller and it won't work either. What puller do I need to look for? My 2002 Edge Indy 500 used the larger puller for the Liberty, same as my big blocks.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
I have a 2000 Indy 500 with the Liberty motor. I went to pull the clutch with my Edge style Liberty puller and it won't fit into the hole where the clutch bolt went in. Tried my Fuji fan clutch puller and it won't work either. What puller do I need to look for? My 2002 Edge Indy 500 used the larger puller for the Liberty, same as my big blocks.

It sounds like you have the early clutch for the domestic twins. Did you have to thread the bolt out through the clutch? if so it needs a puller that fits the 97 to 99 600/700 twin.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
Yes - I had to thread the bolt out through the clutch. Dennis Kirk lists this two piece puller. (#28144) from Parts Unlimited.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...Main&catId=&productId=p28144&leafCatId=&mmyId=

The clutch has the wide rollers. Are there any strength issues with this clutch if the bushing is smaller?

Sorry that clutch puller will not fit either order part #725-206 from HPE AT
www.hiperf.com the puller you need is for 97 to 99 twins only.
the clutch is a good clutch and will last a long time.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
I found out that the thread size looks to be about 5/8", not the 3/4" of the newer clutches. Dennis kirk has #28102 that looks like it's a 5/8" or so. I'll bring the clutch bolt with me this time to compare. Thanks for the help.

Premium Features