• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

shock tower busted resting on power valve

K
Nov 17, 2011
last time I let other people ride my sled, is this common at all for the tower to get busted off? how should I go about fixing this? its been an expensive month so anything will help thanks

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Ouch! that would be from Jumping the sled or rocking it very hard anything else bent? Best way to fix it is turn it into your insurance company or make them turn it into theirs! But really not a hard fix Take it to a Great (not a good but a excellent) aluminum welder and have it redone... it will need to be very very very very clean in order to be welded.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
That is a pretty common failure mode on the EDGE chassis. The down side is they do not sell that front casting that the shock mounts bolt on to separately. So you are stuck either finding one from a parted out chassis or buying the complete chassis. I would be surfing Ebay and or CL for the casting. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few on there over the years.

Sorry for your misfortune

K
Nov 17, 2011
fortunately i do have a parts sled laying around, ill just swap over that whole unit and go from there. will post pics of fix in few days thanks

X
Jan 1, 2011
ND
Wow, that must have been a fun one, either that or it was failing for quite a while and just finally gave out. What was he doing when it broke?

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
That is a pretty common failure mode on the EDGE chassis. The down side is they do not sell that front casting that the shock mounts bolt on to separately. So you are stuck either finding one from a parted out chassis or buying the complete chassis. I would be surfing Ebay and or CL for the casting. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few on there over the years.

Sorry for your misfortune

Hate to disagree but Polaris offers a shock tower ***. part # 1821107-067.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Hate to disagree but Polaris offers a shock tower ***. part # 1821107-067.

That steel weldment may well still be available, hell, I still have a couple pair on the shelf. But that is not the part that breaks, nor is it the OP issue. The problem is the cast aluminum front member, which is part of the chassis and is not sold separately. FWIW

If that was the part # he needed I'd have offered him a set, if he covered the postage. Just to clean up the parts shelves.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
That steel weldment may well still be available, hell, I still have a couple pair on the shelf. But that is not the part that breaks, nor is it the OP issue. The problem is the cast aluminum front member, which is part of the chassis and is not sold separately. FWIW

If that was the part # he needed I'd have offered him a set, if he covered the postage. Just to clean up the parts shelves.

His pic clearly shows the steel weldment still attached to the shock. The shock tower is a separate piece the rivets to the cast piece you mention.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
His pic clearly shows the steel weldment still attached to the shock. The shock tower is a separate piece the rivets to the cast piece you mention.

The part number you posted, is "the steel weldment / shock tower" (still bolted to the shock in photo) but has pulled the 3 quantity 3/8" bolts thru the front cast member. The failed part Is the cast aluminum, not the steel shock tower.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
The part number you posted, is "the steel weldment / shock tower" (still bolted to the shock in photo) but has pulled the 3 quantity 3/8" bolts thru the front cast member. The failed part Is the cast aluminum, not the steel shock tower.

Where in the pic does it show the damage your stating?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Where in the pic does it show the damage your stating?

The pic is not clear enough to see for sure that the aluminum front member has failed as the shock tower is hiding it. From expirence, in order for it to end up where it is, requires all three bolts to fall out or pull out. Either way the casting is most likely toast.

If the original poster ever revisits this thread he can confirm what was broken. In all likelyhood, he has fixed it already and could not care less about you and I debating which part failed and why.

Premium Features