• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BOONDOCKING

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
How well do the nytros do in the trees and how much modding is needed.What is the differents between a 08 and 10, do they need to carry gas to ride all day lets say 50 to70 miles climbing, boondocking and trails I know this is a hard one but here we ride trails to the next clear cut and play than move on to the next one. How many miles before rebuilds and what is the biggest problemo they have? I am thinking about jumping ship I want to ride not rebuild.

Thanks

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
well the nytros will do all that. ride 70 miles a day will not be a prob if you carry a jerry can for just in case. they ride in the trees well and can climb but usually fall a little short of what most 800s can do. The motor life exceeds the life of any sled, you will most likely will never have to dig into it for any extensive repairs.

When it comes to how well you want it to perform, the skys the limit, start adding turbos and light weight suspensions it can outperform anything else.

bottom. line. in stock form it has unmatched reliability but performance is a tad shy compared to 800 2 strokes due to less heaveir chassis and less hp. for a big chunk of change you can have 300hp 500lb ultimate sled.

maxeater

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
GF MT
I have a 10 spent all day yesterday on trails, boondocking clear cuts had a blast. 60 miles at the truck the fuel light was on for the last 10 miles. 40 miles were in18+" untracked snow. sled was out of gas but so was I.

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
'10 is a better and lighter sled from the factory
- has improved front end geometry
- Fox floats upfront
- upgraded rear suspension with fox floats replacing standard shocks and springs. Saves some weight.
- available in 162" where '08 and '09 were just 153"
- 153" Maverick track is a POS. Paddles fold over and it is useless. 162" track is stiffer durometer rubber but still no hell.
- '10 tunnel is much better with tappered running boards and larger holes for snow evacuation. Looks 100% better and won't get hung up in the snow as much.

That's all the changes I can think of. I think you will find the majority of the '08 owners have done a lot of mods to make the sleds lighter and handle better.
Most people have:
- upgraded rear suspension to timbersled, KMOD, EZ-ride
- upgraded track to camo extreme or powderclaw
- geared down from 20/40 to 19/40

A lot of people have also:
- changed front end to tempersled or Z-broz
- upgrade front shocks
- relocated steering post forward
- trimmed the back end of their tunnel, added snow eliminators or better boards, or replaced their tunnel all together when going from 153" to 162"
- Installed after market header and muffler to increase HP (about 8-10 HP) and decrease weight
- added under tunnel exhaust to clean up rear end of sled and allow installation of a rack to carry fuel or tunnel bag.
On a '10 I think the list of mods will be less but a track upgrade would be the minimum. Rear suspension could still be improved and lightened up by going aftermarket.

I have done all of the above to my '08 and really like how the sled performs now. For boondocking it handles great and will hang with 800's. It might not be able to climb quite as high but I don't care.

Many owners, like myself, are now adding low boost turbos and it has changed the game.

So, if you like your Dragon, an '08 Nytro in stock form will be a huge disapointment from a handling, weight and power perspective. Most Nytro owners are prepared to dump a load of cash into the sleds and enjoy working on them and that is just part of the hobby for me.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
'10 is a better and lighter sled from the factory
- has improved front end geometry
- Fox floats upfront
- upgraded rear suspension with fox floats replacing standard shocks and springs. Saves some weight.
- available in 162" where '08 and '09 were just 153"
- 153" Maverick track is a POS. Paddles fold over and it is useless. 162" track is stiffer durometer rubber but still no hell.
- '10 tunnel is much better with tappered running boards and larger holes for snow evacuation. Looks 100% better and won't get hung up in the snow as much.

That's all the changes I can think of. I think you will find the majority of the '08 owners have done a lot of mods to make the sleds lighter and handle better.
Most people have:
- upgraded rear suspension to timbersled, KMOD, EZ-ride
- upgraded track to camo extreme or powderclaw
- geared down from 20/40 to 19/40

A lot of people have also:
- changed front end to tempersled or Z-broz
- upgrade front shocks
- relocated steering post forward
- trimmed the back end of their tunnel, added snow eliminators or better boards, or replaced their tunnel all together when going from 153" to 162"
- Installed after market header and muffler to increase HP (about 8-10 HP) and decrease weight
- added under tunnel exhaust to clean up rear end of sled and allow installation of a rack to carry fuel or tunnel bag.
On a '10 I think the list of mods will be less but a track upgrade would be the minimum. Rear suspension could still be improved and lightened up by going aftermarket.

I have done all of the above to my '08 and really like how the sled performs now. For boondocking it handles great and will hang with 800's. It might not be able to climb quite as high but I don't care.

Many owners, like myself, are now adding low boost turbos and it has changed the game.

So, if you like your Dragon, an '08 Nytro in stock form will be a huge disapointment from a handling, weight and power perspective. Most Nytro owners are prepared to dump a load of cash into the sleds and enjoy working on them and that is just part of the hobby for me.

Attack/approach angle was improved as well in 2010.. Id find a 2010 or an earlier model with all the mods already done.. Otherwise like snafu said be prepared to throw some cash at it :face-icon-small-sho I think most of us are after the reliability especially when adding boost so spending alittle and wrenching abit is part of the hobby :face-icon-small-hap
Awesome sled in the trees especially when some power and bolt ons are done!!

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I do not mind wrenching if its mods but if I have to rebuild the engine every other year that ain't no good.My wife and I have a trip planed over xmas and the Yamma dealer said to take one and ride it he has the stage one kit on it,skins seat,aftermarket exhaust,and what ever else he told me.I am looking forward to it. My Grizzly 660 has over 8000 hard hard miles on it and it run good. Anyone ride over Xmas I think we are going to Wallace ID and ride into Montana.

Premium Features