• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Summit T3 154?????

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
So east coaster here. I boondock, side hill, and run the trees 90% of the time. Climbs are short. NB has like 2 meters of snow on ground so our conditions are generally pretty good.

Thinking of spring checking either the T3 154 or SP 154 coming off a 2014 XMX. My big questions is whether or not the T3 is worth it or is it going to become a RPITA due to cooling issues and hyfax wear.

I've never overheated my XMX, and have run the scratchers down maybe 3 times in 2 years, so although I trail a fair bit to get to my riding areas, it is mostly on loose pack that offers pretty good cooling.

I thought I heard that the cooler has been extended in the T3's for 2016. Norona....any intelligence on this one? Would appreciate any info, cause the specs don't indicate any change.

With no experience on the 3" it's a hard call for me. Maybe 5% of the time I could use slightly more track but not willing to jump to 163 and give away the 154's playful character to get it....

OTM

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Here is my 2 cents, you probably don't need the 3 inch track but the T3 is more than that and it is easier to ride that a 14, yes the cooler for 2016 goes back to full length more because where it was eliminated in 2015 it ices up so u are carrying the weight anyway and the Beatles the snow from icing up there, I never had an issue with my t3 163 or 174 nor did I have any hyfax wear, I don't mean this disrespectful to anyone but some guys don't know that there is a way to break in Ur hyfAx , which is no scratchers down for about a mile or so to beat them up and then go into cold snow and let them cool, this best seals them, same with cooling a lot of guys don't use the scratchers until the machine is hot and then if it is not fresh then it has a hard time, u just have to be in tune to it and figure it out, it has also been a pretty bad snow season so u have to take that into consideration. I use the trail to get to riding areas all the time and I don't notice any ill effects of the three inch track and what I hear all the time is how much people love their t3. Cheers dave

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Good info Dave

I think as long as you USE the scratchers along with the full length heat exchanger, you should be fine with a T3 154.

My 174 has been pretty good on cooling all year, with only getting hot a couple times. Only in the past couple weeks. The hyfax still look new

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks Guys!

Was sorta thinking it can't be that different (2.5 to 3) on the hyfax/heating issue given where we ride. I am almost never riding on icy trails save those spring morning frozen boilerplate trails, which I'm sure would be the one time you will have an issue.

One last question. How's the cupping on the track? My 2.5 has 1500 miles and looks new.

OTM

Premium Features