• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BOSS NOSS on a King Cat???

D
Nov 26, 2007
I didnt use it very often and not for long periods of time. That motor made it half way through the year. U just have to face the facts when u run nos. Stuff WILL break sooner or later. Im not trying to shy you away from this. Im just telling from trial and error that u will be doing top end rebuilds in the future.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
U will be ok for a while. I had about 2k on mine before a piston turned to powder with 30 hp jets. Its all good though, after it shells out you can build a big bore.:D

now were talkin.:eek:

Big guys need big bores= 76fomoco get to ride it...

M

mezz250x

Feb 1, 2008
Dassel, MN
Dont let these guys scare you...nitrous is perfectly safe if its setup right. Have the valve for the fuel dumps open as fas as possible. Only run premium fuel, and watch your egt's. If you dont have egts, get some, the chances of saving your motor greatly increase when you can watch whats going on inside. When i had it on my sled i prolly only used it for about 3-5 seconds per time and that seemeed to be enough. As long as your motor dont detonate you could hold the button till the bottle ran out.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Mezz, im not trying to scare him. All im doing is letting him know in advance what problems he will most likely see. As for premium fuel only. Thats a crock. I ran race in mine and still grenaded. If u keep good pistons and rings in it your chances of destroying something will go down. He allready said the motor has 1200 miles on it. So who knows what the pistons look like. If it were me, i would change them before u ever run nos, just so u know u are starting with good equip.

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
Thanks for the candid input. This is what I was looking for. And of course, anytime you create more power you are running the risk of parts failures. My main objective of this post was to find out about the BOSS NOSS system in particular. I have read some horror stories but I thin kmost of those are atributed tot the TFI box on the EFI models. I just spoke to one of the guys at my dealer who does hilclimb racing and he uses the BOSS NOSS setup (carb) and set it was a piece of cake to install and set up with no problems in repeatability or relaibility (of the system). I will probably start with the 30hp shot for starters and go up from there if I need too. The nozzles are cheap enough to experiment with the different shots.

Keep the input/feedback coming!

D
Nov 26, 2007
Yes, the kit is very easy to install. I used velcro and mounted it to the front of the gas tank. Where u are using the airbox im sure u can velcro it somewhere. It is very easy to tune also. The directions tell u how to tune it and that works fine. You will probably end up around 2 turns out with the fuel reg. Hope it works good for you. Good luck:beer; Also watch how you bend the black nos hose. If there is a tight bend in it, when u hit the button they might break in stress areas.

Last edited:
H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
Yes, the kit is very easy to install. I used velcro and mounted it to the front of the gas tank. Where u are using the airbox im sure u can velcro it somewhere. It is very easy to tune also. The directions tell u how to tune it and that works fine. You will probably end up around 2 turns out with the fuel reg. Hope it works good for you. Good luck:beer; Also watch how you bend the black nos hose. If there is a tight bend in it, when u hit the button they might break in stress areas.

Thanks for the tips. I am running the stock airbox with SLP high flow lid so I will mount it to the lid. I will make sure to not kink the lines as you mentioned. Do you happen to have pics of how you mounted the nozzles in the airbox or were you running air filters?

M

mezz250x

Feb 1, 2008
Dassel, MN
Mezz, im not trying to scare him. All im doing is letting him know in advance what problems he will most likely see. As for premium fuel only. Thats a crock. I ran race in mine and still grenaded. If u keep good pistons and rings in it your chances of destroying something will go down. He allready said the motor has 1200 miles on it. So who knows what the pistons look like. If it were me, i would change them before u ever run nos, just so u know u are starting with good equip.

I just say to run prem fuel because the more octane you have the less likely it is to pre-detonate. Did your motor blow cause of detonation or something else?

D
Nov 26, 2007
Mezz, it broke a ring then disinigrated the piston. My guess is from so many miles on it before the nos. Then the nos finished it. I could be wrong tho. I was running 110 octane fuel. It did not detonate

Heavy---- I mounted my nozzles in the end of filters. No airbox

Last edited:
H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
Mezz, it broke a ring then disinigrated the piston. My guess is from so many miles on it before the nos. Then the nos finished it. I could be wrong tho. I was running 110 octane fuel. It did not detonate

Heavy---- I mounted my nozzles in the end of filters. No airbox

did you change your clutching at all? The dealer told me to change primary weights for lower RPM's off NOS so when I hit the NOS the engine would be right in the power band and produce the most power otherwise it may no produce as much as it's potential by over revvving and the power curve falling off to quickly? Kinda makes sense, what do you think??? :eek:

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Heavy,
you need to get off the snowest obsession, it will waste all your time and the sleds will suck away all of your money. Just think about the nice Florida sun in the summer… this will get you through it all. :D

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
Heavy,
you need to get off the snowest obsession, it will waste all your time and the sleds will suck away all of your money. Just think about the nice Florida sun in the summer… this will get you through it all. :D

I grew up in Florida so screw that..... I ride my quads all summer and work on the sleds and vice versa in the winter. You are right though...it is a money trap no matter how you look at it....

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
I would stay with the 30-40hp range any more and you start getting out of your clutching specs as well so the extra HP will not do you as much good.

Boss is allright it you have it setup right. If you break anything or need parts call a dealer first trust me it will help with headaches from Boss they suck when it comes to getting you parts I had to buy a used system just for my customers so I had spare parts.

I sprayed my 900 RMK allot when I switched over to BD when all said and done the pistons looked ok not the best but for 1200 miles not bad I put new ones in and back at her. My Dad's 900 threw the crank on his 900 two days after he sold it and it never had any nitrous in it at all but it had high miles for a 900rmk. So if tunned in right and all is working well if something does break the nitrous may have speeded up the problem but it would have whent anyway just a matter of time. That is why I would keep the shots lower so you have less stress on the motor.

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
I would stay with the 30-40hp range any more and you start getting out of your clutching specs as well so the extra HP will not do you as much good.

Boss is allright it you have it setup right. If you break anything or need parts call a dealer first trust me it will help with headaches from Boss they suck when it comes to getting you parts I had to buy a used system just for my customers so I had spare parts.

I sprayed my 900 RMK allot when I switched over to BD when all said and done the pistons looked ok not the best but for 1200 miles not bad I put new ones in and back at her. My Dad's 900 threw the crank on his 900 two days after he sold it and it never had any nitrous in it at all but it had high miles for a 900rmk. So if tunned in right and all is working well if something does break the nitrous may have speeded up the problem but it would have whent anyway just a matter of time. That is why I would keep the shots lower so you have less stress on the motor.

Thanks for the info Snow JW--I am probably going to start with a 30 shot for starters and then go from there if needed. So who do you recommend for buying parts such as nozzles and stuff? I am going to need to buy them and would like to find a good source other than BOSS directly???:face-icon-small-win

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
As for the clutching changes, it depends on when you're going to hit the button. If you are running down a flat trail and hit it the motor will over rev. But if you use it when climbing or are in a lot of pow your revs are down anyways so (due to the big load on the motor) hitting the nos should pick your rpms back to optimal (7600-7800 with a single). Biggest thing is to try it before you add any wieght. I would say a 30-40 shot to start with.

Premium Features