• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what you need to build a snowbike

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
I want to give everyone an Idea of what it takes to put together a good sound running snowbike. Most of the things on this list are what I feel are needed for a top running snowbike. We have been building snowbikes for 6 years and know what it takes to have a reliable machine that will perform in the deep. Listed in most important first.

1-thermostat. produced by avid industries 2&4 stroke models and can get heat collar for carbs

2-engine shroud kit these I build in house each is model specific

3-intake pod filter kit model specific

4-trail tech voyager computer gives you the important engine information water temp,tach,hour meter,GPS,and many other options also can go less expensive and get Vapor or just water temp gauge

5-hand guards many models available

6-cyclops LED lights penatrator610 and LED Adventure lights. Made in USA top Quality Very Durable cyclopsadventuresports.com

7-LED tail light for those who have power to run them and the brake switch to make the system work

8-hand warmer basic wraps for under grips

9-ice scratchers

10-the simplest snowbike carb available today pick up both ends of your snowbike in one simple motion bike is well balanced front to rear so you can do easy maintenance fully adjustable to work on most any snowbike. easy to roll machine around shop or into and out of trailers with ramps

11- 110 volt bock heaters glue on type block heaters stay at cabin and have no place to thaw out your ride. this will allow you to easily get your snowbike running in the morning. just plug in

12- high quality oils available here keep your bike alive with only the best lube

13-sore butt? We can fix that too. We have Seat Concepts Seats Available too!!

14-Need more ski grip. We offer a duece bar carbide that will get the job done every time and is more stabil.

15-have all this and still need more power and traction Talk to us about TURBO OPTIONS and Track and Frame upgrades
16-REKLUSE CLUTCH not needed buy can be nice
17-Pro moto billet adventure pegs. very nice added size to give you good grip
This should about do it. might have forgot something.
Call Les at GARY'S ENGINE AND REPAIR 605-225-6900 YOUR TIMBERSLED SNOWBIKE AND SNOWHAWK DEALER

Ill hook you up!!

IMG_0196.jpg IMG_0198.jpg IMG_0199.jpg IMG_0180.jpg IMG_0189.jpg IMG_0191.jpg IMG_0194.jpg IMG_0174.jpg IMG_0175.jpg IMG_0182.jpg IMG_0192.jpg IMG_0203.jpg IMG_0197.jpg

L

lacesout

Oct 5, 2014
what about coolant? Also where do you put that block heater thing?

Last edited:

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
coolant

are you referring to overflow?? if so i use a redneck catch bottle zip tied under front fender. works perfect so you never lose that precious small amount of coolant theses mx bikes hold.

The block heater i have stuck on the bottom of engine on the rmz its near the drain plug. have a pink dense foam insulation packed between frame rails and skid plate to fill the voil and help hold everything in place. If you ever tried to pull start a snowbike the biggest issue is getting the engine to turn over without sliding the track. even with clutch pulled in the drag from oil is so bad it hardly rolls. Warm up the oil a bit and will fire right up!!

L

lacesout

Oct 5, 2014
i was looking up coolant and i seen lots were only rated for -15. I ordered some motul factory coolant that is good for much lower temps.

Thanks for the discription on the block heater. Can you post a picture of it installed or is it impossible to see under the skid plate and the dense foam? The dense foam doesnt get hot and melt when the bike gets hot? Will snow just pack in there if you dont fill the void?

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
Are the thermostat and engine shrouds needed so the engine can get up to proper operating temp? What degree thermostat is recommended?

What brand air filter is the best for the snow?

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
check out this cart very easy to use
can balance machine front or rear makes moving your snowbike quick and simple

Why does everyone making a set of wheels think 20 bucks worth of princess auto parts are worth $300-$700 to move a snow bike around? I just don't get it.

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
Are the thermostat and engine shrouds needed so the engine can get up to proper operating temp? What degree thermostat is recommended?

What brand air filter is the best for the snow?

Yep. Need the engine up to temp. Especially for the fuel injected bikes. The avid products thermostat is the best. Depends what bike you are running. Air filter can do a boondockers style or stock cage with memory wire and bottom of box cut out. All depends on what bike you run. The original poster J&l can give you all the info needed. He's been riding one ski forever. Give him a call.

L

lacesout

Oct 5, 2014
figured id post a picture of some foot pegs. I forget what company sells these already modded like this. They want $300 for the set. Make sure you buy stainless and not alum. Snow sticks bad to the alum. I ordered a $100 set of foot pegs and will mod them somewhat like this myself.

foot pegs.jpg

Last edited:
V
Sep 22, 2008
Hmm quit the package of goodies ,do you have a recommended Fuel controller (brand preference) to keep the FI KTM 'S from over fueling .

Last edited:
S
Mar 28, 2014
figured id post a picture of some foot pegs. I forget what company sells these already modded like this. They want $300 for the set. Make sure you buy stainless and not alum. Snow sticks bad to the alum. I ordered a $100 set of foot pegs and will mod them somewhat like this myself.

These are made by Brewster West Motorsports...deadly foot pegs and excellent customer service!

powderzone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2013
Calgary
These are made by Brewster West Motorsports...deadly foot pegs and excellent customer service!

Yup, they are Fastway pegs modified by Brewster.
Re fuel management, I run a Bazaaz and it works great with and without NOS.
I would add NOS to your list as well. Because who doesn't need a little "GO" juice once in a while.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
actually BUILD a snow bike

building a sno bike requires a rather modest pile of tubing, some junk sled parts a good $1000 donor bike, a used $100 track, been lots of them built that way, three going together around my town right now, less than 2k when done.

to ASSEMBLE a snow bike could require a fair deal of cash and yup 4 years of gory details post on here about all the details.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Thermo bob now has a new Tstat housing the size of the KTM one and a 90c -195f stat,, nice kit comes with everything for 140$

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I can attest to the Cyclops lights, good quality stuff. I have a KTM thermostat for my YZ450F, should just be able to pop it in right?

Premium Features