• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SPOT RENEWAL DISCOUNTS??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So my yearly SPOT subscription expired the other day.
Lucky for me the credit card they had on file had expired as well.

This is the letter that I got.

=====================

Dear Christopher,
Thank you for your continued service with Spot LLC. We appreciate your business and loyalty as our customer.

Your SPOT Service Plan is scheduled to renew automatically every 12 months from the date of your initial service activation. On 04/10/2012, we attempted to renew your service and charge your credit card ending in XXXX for the amount of $149.98 for account 1.xxxxxxxx and device ESN(s) 0-xxxxxx.

Unfortunately, the charge was unable to process. Please contact SPOT Customer Service at your earliest convenience to update your credit card information and ensure that your SPOT service remains uninterrupted.
Our standard business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00am to Midnight North American Eastern Standard Time. You can also contact us directly by calling the following numbers from your region:

<table> <tbody> <tr> <td width="65%">United States and Canada</td> <td>1-866-651-7768</td></tr> <tr> <td>Europe</td> <td>+353-12-909-505</td></tr> <tr> <td>Outside North America</td> <td>1-408-933-4518</td></tr> <tr> <td>Australia</td> <td>0-424-21-7768

</td></tr></tbody></table> Please remember that you can update your credit card information and account profile anytime by logging into your SPOT account at www.findmespot.com.
We look forward to assisting you!
Kind regards,
SPOT Customer Service
P.S - Did you know that SPOT has helped initiate thousands of rescues in more than 60 countries on land or at sea? In addition, the SPOT product family delivers millions of reliable every day messages like check-in/OK and Track Progress to your friends and family. Peace of mind every day. Emergency assistance when you need it. Learn more at www.findmespot.com.

====================

SPOT is WELL KNOWN for offering all manner of discounts, especially on EXPIRED USER ACCOUNTS. I have been told its quite common to wait a month and then get a phone call offering -50% OFF!!

So I am in the hunt for the best discount I can find now.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Me too. My card expired as well.

I have to original SPOT. Holding out for the product updrage also. I've already downloaded the app for my Droid. LOL

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
discounts on SPOT units yes, discounts on service never other then when signing up a new unit

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Spot sent me that letter, then figured out how to bill my new card.
I caught it on the next statement.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Doubt you will get a discount on the annual service....my card expired and I renewed after 60 days or so and my discount was zilch.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Newmy, I'm hoping for a sweet discount on the upgrade.

That could be possible for the device. Can't remember what exactly but I know I got a good deal upgrading to the Spot 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hmm
I am going to hold out for a couple months and see if there is any way to finagle a discount on the service. $149 just seems steep to me and I want to try and do better. When searching the. Et on this I find other people that Have gotten the invitation to return at a substancial discount after allowing their membership to expire

Sent from my Apple iPhone 4S using the AVOW TapaTalk app.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I still have the original spot. Is the new one nicer? Even an upgrade on that could be worth it. Suppose I will wait and see what if anything is offered...

H
Jan 25, 2009
Yakima WA
My card expired and i made arrangements to renew it. Within the week i get the call that they really want me back and they offered a big discount on my renewal. I asked em if we could cancel my card deal and do the discount, not so much. I don't know about anyone else but they offered me the discount two years ago.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
PATIENCE PAYS OFF !!

SPOT just called me to remind me that my membership had expired and offered me a -33% discount if I renewed right now over the phone!

That took my package price down to $99 for the year.

I

idahosledhead

Jan 28, 2008
-50% would have been better.
But -33% was good enough to get me to sign up again for another year.

Christopher in another thread you said you also carry a PLB. Why both a Spot and a PLB? I am thinking about buying one or the other, and am leaning heavily toward the PLB, for the sake of reliability. I see that ACR makes a PLB that even allows you to send an "I'm okay message", as well as a GPS location.

titaniumbadger

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Pocatello, ID
Watch out for SPOT

My credit card on file expired with SPOT and I thought it was a good time to quit them so I just didn't do anything. Well, a couple of months later they went ahead and charged my replacement card without even asking! I've heard stories on other sites of SPOT reporting unpaid accounts to collection agencies. If you want to quit SPOT, you have to email them in a specific manner (instructions on their website). I would be careful thinking that because your card expired you are good, unless you cancel the expired card so there is no replacement. I'm pretty ticked with their billing practices and I'm looking for some sort of PLB instead. Any recommendations?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
I was going to get a SPOT last year, but instead got my Air Pack. Looking at getting one this year to complete my pack.
People that have them, what do you think? Are they worth it and it seems they have some billing issues?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I have the ACR in my pack as well...and on ALL my customers boats... big and small.
Their stuff is industry-standard.

Does the SPOT renewal include the SAR insurance policy... and if so, it it really worth anything??

Premium Features