• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MDS C-1 Turbo Weight open discussion

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
What is your engagement, and what change did you see with weights in the middle, I got roughly 7.5 g in the tip and 0 in the middle, gold spring but I'm still overreving, if I add weight to middle what will change

Might bring down engagement and rpm, wont have any bad effects, shouldn't anyway, should help.

V

VRod

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Another thumbs up for these weights. 2010 M8 BD PGT running 7-11 lbs. Took a little weight out of the tip and moved to the middle. Sled is definitely more responsive in the low end and mid range plus clutch temps are cooler.

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
I have a different adjustable weight Went from a heavy tip setup to more base weight and a LOT more in the middle. As above, more responsive and less heat. Still pulls hard. More weight in the middle may be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
What springs are you guys using in your primary setups , Im usin long ,nut 2 washers in tip, drilled in the mid, with gold spring, I don't like the engagement , it's not smooth, I want a more stock like feel on bottom end. I ride 100% in trees and creek beds so a smooth engagement is wanted. In the mid to top it pulls hard, but bottom is not so good. I tried a purple yesterday for the heck of it, it sucked 5000 engagement and low top rpms

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
MDS

Have a few rides on my MDS weights in my pump-gas m series turbo. Running Steve's recommended Polaris black primary spring with the weight completely in the tip. Running 9-10 lbs with stock 36 secondary with shift assist.

HOLY ****...it has been a total night and day difference. I was running stock cat 80 g weights and a 36-46 helix and I was tearing up drive line parts, including broken helix's, and rough on the DD and belt. I was engaging at 4500ish and getting lots of track spin on engagement making it harder to use in the trees.

MDS set-up-

3500-3600 rpm engagement and it back shifts really really well. Doesn't miss a beat. Holds great R's all day.

The best part was the belt heat. Holy crap, my clutches are running cooler than all the stock sleds I ride with, 25 min of running 1/3-2/3 throttle down the trail and stopped to eat lunch and clutches where cool to the touch by bare hands. Put hands on a pro clutch at the same time and couldn't touch it it was so hot. Amazing difference! Can not thank Steve enough, walked me through the set-up and what to expect and worked perfectly. If you've given it any thoughts at all I can not tell you how happy I've been with this set up.

Works perfect in the trees with good up and back shift. Keeps really consistent on longer pulls as well. Belt life is going to be amazing, just can't say enough good things about it. Thanks Steve and Erik at Racin Station.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
From some testing this week I have found that the amount of weight in the tip of these weights really changes the engagement rpm. The weights design really tucks them under, so the the more weight you run in the tip the higher and more erratic your engagement will be.

The first setup i had was 85.8 grams with 8.5 in the tip and 6.8 in the middle, with black polaris spring. It engaged anywhere from 41-4500. I was also under reving a bit. So I dropped 2.2 grams off the tip and changed to a cat gold spring. Engagement dropped to 3750 which was what I was aming for. I also changed the helix to deal with some poor back shift issues, went from a 40 down to a 36 and back shift was much better but now I was over reving. So I added the 2.2 grams back to the tip and my engagement jumped back up to 4000.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I also added more weight to mid,and my engagement rs went down, I may pull a little from the tip just to let her over rev a little bit, I'm also usin the gold.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I also added more weight to mid,and my engagement rs went down, I may pull a little from the tip just to let her over rev a little bit, I'm also usin the gold.

Bad idea, you don't want over rev, you will lose track speed. These weights arent like the old ones where you had to balance where you want the rpm.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I was just gonna clutch it for 8300, my turbo builder even says to rev it even higher, but I was gonna over rev just a tad for different loads. Right now depending on load it revs from 8000/ 8200 so Im gonna remove the nut, iv also added a extreme 2.5 on the weekend

B

brian_moreau7

Nov 9, 2008
From some testing this week I have found that the amount of weight in the tip of these weights really changes the engagement rpm. The weights design really tucks them under, so the the more weight you run in the tip the higher and more erratic your engagement will be.

The first setup i had was 85.8 grams with 8.5 in the tip and 6.8 in the middle, with black polaris spring. It engaged anywhere from 41-4500. I was also under reving a bit. So I dropped 2.2 grams off the tip and changed to a cat gold spring. Engagement dropped to 3750 which was what I was aming for. I also changed the helix to deal with some poor back shift issues, went from a 40 down to a 36 and back shift was much better but now I was over reving. So I added the 2.2 grams back to the tip and my engagement jumped back up to 4000.

What Elevation And Boost Level Were you Running?? Did you Get It dialed in now??

Last edited:
B

brian_moreau7

Nov 9, 2008
Just got mine Installed last night,

Black Polaris Primary Spring
Stock Cat Orange Secondary Spring
38 Degree Helix

Will let You Know how Well it Works After The Weekend Of Riding

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
So after a season of testing these, what are your final setups and thoughts on these weights.
My current setup is about 83.5 grms with a gold primary and stock secondary, 2011 m8 pg ovs kit, track speed between 56-62 mph on 6 psi. Engagement is very nice around 3700, top rpm about 8400 at times. No blown belts,50/50 av, bottom end is a little sluggish if I nail it.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Currently 80g loaded in the tip
120/330

34/42 helix stock orange spring

8lbs Twisted M8 2876

3-6000ft.

I also feel the bottom end is a little soft. It revs up fine but isn't loading the motor or turbo imo. Next out I'm going to try a stiffer primary spring (165/330) and transfer some weight to the lower weight hole. If that doesn't help I may try a straight 44* helix from mmsports.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
I had mine out this weekend and I'm pretty happy with my new setup. All I did was spread some weight to the lower weight hole (still 80g) and went with a higher engagement spring (140/330). I still may try a 165/330 but moving the weight really woke up the bottom end.

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
Last weekend was out 7500-8000ft running 9psi and ended up with: mds loaded small bolt with washer in tip then long bolt with washer and nut in the next hole running the gold spring from mds i think steve said 75/275 and in the secondary running 36/42 with the cat org and 046 belt pulling 8200ish and clutches seem decent temp. I am not very good with clutching but I am learning a little all the time I now need to get a primary spring with a higher start rate to bring my engagment up a little. I turned it up to 11psi but then it would hit the rev limiter if I hit a thin spot of snow as long as it was 3ft deep of fresh it would keep it under 8400. Before this trip I switched the bolts around taking some of the weight out of tip and it seemed much better off the bottom.

I dont know why but it seems I have to run much more weight than the directions steve sent with the weights. I cant hang enuff weight on it with that 36* and the black spring I started with.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
I talked to steve today and he is sure helpful.. I have some old polaris springs i wanted to try. HRP made some special springs a few years back.. A grey 120/360 and a purple 150/400 I liked the grey in my polaris 1200 back in the day,

Cat springs are measures at 2.7 and 1.4 Inches and polaris springs are measured at 2.5 and 1.25 inches..

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Curious how much weight you guys are running with these and at what boost? I was at 80g and 7 psi and my rpms would build like crazy. Trying 82 next time out at only 6 lbs. Twisted M8 with a 2876.

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
If you read my post up above I am running that set up still works ok. What helix are you running? My cat I couldnt get enough bolts in the weight to bring rpm down with the 36 deg I had to run 36-42.

Premium Features