• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cutler vs Boondocker

M

MAINJET

Feb 16, 2009
Coeur d Alene
OVS anybody..

I Havent heard anything bad from anyone about the OVS turbo's but I havent heard anyone say much good about them either. That is the kit I'm leaning towards based on my conversations with them and the price. Any opinions on OVS???

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I Havent heard anything bad from anyone about the OVS turbo's but I havent heard anyone say much good about them either. That is the kit I'm leaning towards based on my conversations with them and the price. Any opinions on OVS???

You cannot go wrong with OVS. If you want a great running pull the rope and beat your buddies sled, they have what you need. They also have some things coming out this year that are just making there kits stand out even more from the rest.
I know them dirty buggers are going to cost me some money this year.........they got a couple new "items" that need to be on my sled!

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Turbo kits

They all make good kits and they all have things I love and hate.

Exhaust Is BD for tunnel dump the only way. I hate the front and the side they can plug and the front interferes with fresh air to turbo . So I tunnel dump all the kits. Stainless Exhaust from push is a home run also. I hate to paint and rust.

I like how Twisted has spent sometime in making parts and give lots of options as far as oil delete, Cooler no cooler, Water or air.

Oil Tank is Push best on the market cleanest and light. The other 4 are about the same.

Tial love No rust so push and OVS get thumbs up there. OVS just needs to get the dump made of stainless still had to paint some parts last year on it.

Hate inter coolers so BD gets a big negative on the race gas hear because
its not an option to run it its a must.

fuel controls liked the pre ADA boondocker box more tuning options.
The Dolbeck is based off of a pre tune so as long as you get a good one to start then you are good to go. The color thing I hate mainly because unless you know what the colors mean then well your lost. Got my first Push Dolbeck box in and he listed what the colors do on the front LOGO way cool.
The power commander I think would work if we only had a watertight jockey box to put our lab top to tune it. Just not an option for me.
They all work good but not 100% .

l

Last edited:
L

little_orange_cat

Apr 7, 2008
lynden
www.myspace.com
whats wrong with inter coolers its the only way to go if you want a RACE GAS kit!!!
Look at the testing that backs it up!
What is wrong with the front dump the side dump is deff gay but i don't see a problem with the front.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
little orange, look up...waaaaay up, and you will be up to speed on the intercooler topic. They are not really necessary, Mr. Cutler and Mr. Stanger agree on that topic as their race gas kits don't include them and they don't run them on their race gas kit in the real world either. Not sure of OVS's view of them. To be honest, I'm not really sure about how much heat those little intercoolers could shed anyway. They are directly exposed to all of the underhood heat, both radiant and ambient. In a shop on a lift with the hood open and it getting fresh cool air directed through the intercooler will have more of an effect but in the real world I don't personaly see how efficient they really are. Like it was said in an earlier reference, they are intake heaters. With all of the underhood heat I would think at the very least the temps are staying close to the same and there is a fancy looking peice between the charge tube and throttle bodies. For the most part, mountain sleds aren't moving fast enough to circulate enough cool air into the engine bay to feed the intercooler with enough cold air to be effective anyway IMO. And also all of the snow which tends to hang out on vents tends to block even more fresh air access. I might be wrong though.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I am not saying it works, but Boondockers newer intercooler for the M's includes a fan. I am guessing you would need a mesh hood or lots of venting for it to have a chance to work.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I saw on the twisted sight that they have water to air intercoolers that fit directly in the place of the charge tube, Says it keeps temps down around 70* and only a 30* variation. This is the only way to go if you want a cooler, still a short charge tube and proven cold air. But in most cases you are just adding weight and are not needed.

Just got to say this is one of the better turbo threads, thanks M8Chris

L

little_orange_cat

Apr 7, 2008
lynden
www.myspace.com
the colder the air the less detonation the more you can get out of your fuel. You may be right about them only loosing 30* running a watter cooler the reason for this could be in proper sizing of the cooler meaning can not cool the air fast enough nor flow enough CFM and he could have been using the motors antifreeze to cool it when you would want to run a separate cooler in the tunnel idk.
I did the real world testing myself Ive tried all 3 setups i prefer the air to air or a good water to air it makes a HUGE difference.
If your not trying to have the fastest sled or get the most out of your fuel then no cooler is fine.

104_0193.jpg 104_0009.jpg new pics 115.jpg

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
This year I am changing my M8 from non intercooled to a custom water to air that is properly sized and running it's own cooling system. I think for tuning consistancy, and getting the most out of your fuel, the water to air is the way to go. that said my turbo last ran awesome day in and day out, but I only ran 12 lbs of boost

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
Wow little orange! That wastegate plumbing in the first pic is sweeeet! I never thought about the water to air intercooler. That would be more effective for sure. Nice lookin sleds though!

L

little_orange_cat

Apr 7, 2008
lynden
www.myspace.com
I can tell you right now not using anything is gonna run way more then 100* that test must be at idle in the shop lol
Go ride your sled really hard for 5-30min and open your hood and tell me how long you can leave your hand on that compressor housing and charge tube I bet not long. When I ride if I stop and leave my hand on the top of my inter cooler it will burn my hand leave it on the bottom my hand gets cold that tells me its working and my money is well spent.
But you know its all preference and what you plan on doing with the sled i plan on being the first one up the hill and riding for countless hours in the woods possibly hitting a few trees rolling a few times and getting stuck in those dang tree holes

cutler or Boondocker boondocker is my choice

treehole.jpg

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Cooler

Let me be clearer. I do not like coolers mainly because of weight and most do not work like they should. I have played with them and I made one that work in testing we could not get over 150 charge temps and I have a few that run it and love it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

D
Nov 26, 2007
This has been and is my favorite turbo thread so far. Lot's of good information. I too have run with and without intercoolers.

Intercoolers do work IMO but there is the cost of having another 10 lbs of weight sitting at the nose of the sled. I haven't tried the boost tube cooler but it is my guess that it would leave sled feeling more balanced than the nose mounted units.

That being said, my favorite set up to date is the Cutler stage III w/o the cooler. Maybe it is the cold air intake that helps with temps but the thing flat out runs hard on even the longest pulls. Light weight, very responsive, and very dependable. DB

062.jpg

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I just find it hard to believe that an intercooler would not be beneficial to everyones kit. Compressing air makes heat, that is a given. Everyone knows cooler charge air makes better power. Yes a cold air intake will help, but you still raise the temps when you are compressing. How does fueling make your air intake temps drop? You need to throw more fuel to cool the air? I understand at different boost levels you create less heat and therfore no intercooler is required. But if you can drop your intake temps and improve the power of your pump or race gas model while running at the same boost levels, why wouldnt you? The weight is a bit of an issue yes, but wouldnt the extra power somewhat compensate for that as well? I know you dont NEED it, but isnt that what we are all looking for, more power with reliability? This is all based on a properly functioning cooler of course, be it air/water or whatever.

Premium Features