• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pulling the intercooler??

T

Tony skagen

Dec 17, 2010
So I have an 08 M8 BD rg turbo w/an intercooler,the sled is starting to come along nicely running good but I'd like to limit the little lag it has. I run about 8/10 lbs boost straight av gas and do more boondocking and small climbs than big ones so I was thinking pulling the intercooler may make it a bit snapper. Any thoughts???

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
which intercooler?

do you have the old 2008/2009 intercooler with one outlet that goes to a charge box & then to the throttle bodies? If yes, then you can probably eliminate a little lag. If you have the new style, then I don't think there is more than 1/2 second lag on my 2008 m8t after engagement... & none once I have the motor loaded a little. I can't imagine it being significantly better than that without the intercooler. Is the sled possibly running a little fat at lower rpms/boost & it has to clean out a bit before building good boost? That can be hard to get tuned out... intercooled or not.

I don't know that my intercooler helps with performance much (11ish psi @ 10K feet), but no detonation & I like it as a reed saver since i pull "under the hood air" due to my habit of brushing by trees & rolling over to get unstuck. Reeds from 2008 looked good even after a few backfires when i replaced them last season.

I have a 2009 charge box & tube that just came off a buddy's sled if you want to experiment.

T

Tony skagen

Dec 17, 2010
Thanks for your Imput,I know I still have some tuning to do But I believe Im close. A friend just suggested pulling the cooler so I was looking for opinions And yes its the old style cooler. I ride from 3-6k feet and am running 36/44p helix with 80 cat weights and a x3 track. I had to turn the boost down from 9 to 5psi to stay off the limiter,Im going try 83grams in the clutch next. Does this sound like Im in the ball park ??? We still dont have good enough snow to really do a good pull yet!

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
pull the...

innercooler and build a new charge tube. Save some weight and make it snappier on the bottom. Unless you live and ride the mile long pulls in canada you will be fine without the innercooler.

Premium Features