• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

air intake screen

W

wowgogs

Sep 9, 2009
I think I am having air problems and losing power from lack of air...
Everyone I ride with has 09s and I have an 08.
So in my air intake I have the black cloth and they have the pillow looking thing.
Should I cut the cloth out and go by a pillow? is it better?

BC-XP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Kamloops
I think I am having air problems and losing power from lack of air...
Everyone I ride with has 09s and I have an 08.
So in my air intake I have the black cloth and they have the pillow looking thing.
Should I cut the cloth out and go by a pillow? is it better?

I have an '08 & I cut out the screen and installed the '09 foam & sock (pillow looking thingy) & it made a huge difference when riding in deep powder. "pillowy" foam didn't allow snow to sit on it and freeze like the stock '08 screen did.

N
Jan 28, 2010
I'm curious about installing screens in the airbox as well.. my 09 has bogged a lot lately in the deep fluff, about half the time ending in a hellacious stuck!

I do NOT want to adversely affect any filtering or air flow however.. no leanouts or belt dust in my carbs. Do these vents have any impact on long term reliability?

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
I'm curious about installing screens in the airbox as well.. my 09 has bogged a lot lately in the deep fluff, about half the time ending in a hellacious stuck!

I do NOT want to adversely affect any filtering or air flow however.. no leanouts or belt dust in my carbs. Do these vents have any impact on long term reliability?

The xp is rich already from factory, plus you are already sucking in belt dust from the small holes in the front box where the velcro straps are, other leakage spots, and the relief valve in the front box when it opens up cause the intake is plugged.
I've cut 2 holes in the back of the box 2 1/2" holes and glued some slp material over it with no problems for 2 1/2 seasons and over 4000miles and no boggin' in the deep stuff.

W
Dec 19, 2009
Zimmerman MN
Maverick Motorsports in Laramie is selling 09 an 2010 xp's with the 08 intake screen, they say it is better than the pillow thing. I was thinking about switching to that. After reading this post I think I might go with the holes in the back of the airbox. Any one else have any input on this? Why not remove the airbox completly and install some pod filters? It would be interesting to see some dyno results. On some engines messing with the air box can really kill your power output. ??????????????

8alltheway

Dec 5, 2007
Eastern SD
I put the 08 screen kit on my 09 too. I hated all the ice that builds up in that foam sh*t!! The black "sock" that goes around the foam on the 09's was like $60 or $70 from my dealership and the 08 screen kit was half that, so i went with the obvious choice and havent looked back.

Premium Features