• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KK airbox mod question

Jul 22, 2009
I want to mod my airbox to get more cold air into the engine. Sled is an 05 KK EFI. I already have a fuel controller. So my question is, can you guys that have done this post any pics you may have, how-to's, dimen's, advice, etc.. I understand the general concept of the scoop through the tach hole but that's about it. Do you use the stock airbox top just without the lid that holds in the tools?

I've searched and found an old thread on this, but thought it may be helpful to have an updated post.

Down the line I would like to try filter pods but I'm going to start with the airbox mod and see how it goes. Sounds like there are very mixed reviews on the pods. Want to polish up my tuning skills using a box first before I try pods.

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
Should the stock air intakes be blocked off?

Tach hole air intake mod.

I havnt done this, but it was done to my sled by the previous owner. I will get some pics later in the week and post them for ya, my sled isnt at my house atm.

I have taken the airbox out in the last week to work on a few things and I noticed that the stock air intake is still opened up. I would assume that air is still making its way in through the stock location near the footwells as well as through the tach intake at the top.

My question about this was weather or not I should be blocking off the stock air intake points so that 100% cold air is coming in through the top. Or if its best to leave them both open in case for some reason the cold air intake gets blocked for some reason???

S
Sep 16, 2010
Leave the stock ones open. Your larger cold air setup from above should offer less resistance and so should provide most of the air. However, if you have a ridiculous pile of powder snow on the hood (which of course happens!) at least the intake has somewhere to draw air from.

I'd block off the stock interior (underhood) intakes however (these are the square holes which draw underhood air from behind the secondary clutch and the brake areas). On the mountain machines these interior intakes always seem to draw in hot exhaust air.

This leaves your cold air intake and the stock outside intakes (the ones in front of your knees) with which to draw air.

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
I'd block off the stock interior (underhood) intakes however (these are the square holes which draw underhood air from behind the secondary clutch and the brake areas). On the mountain machines these interior intakes always seem to draw in hot exhaust air.

Hmm, didnt see these internal intakes at all. Ill have to have another look later in the week. Thanks for the tip.

S
Sep 16, 2010
They may have deleted them later on in 1M production, but I've seen them on the 03 and 04 sleds. A lot of dealers recommended taping off these intakes so it wouldn't surprise me if they got rid of them eventually.

Basically, in the stock setup the air intake had four places with which to draw in air, and the main two were the "external" intakes (which are the obvious ones by your knees with the grate covering them). On the other side of the bulkhead, underneath the hood, there used to be another set of openings that fed air. If they are there, you will see them. They feed the same intake, just from the other side of the bulkhead.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
in my book, snowdingo's right on.......

Under hood air is warm and wet. It's poor for making power. No pods, no interior intakes in front of your knees, keep the rear facing intakes. I only use the snorkel in the deep or high alt. Plug it off with a foam piece against the hood. It's too loud to use when you don't need it. For the top of the airbox to adapt to a four inch pipe elbow, I used a woodshop vacume part from Menards.

Owen

Last edited:
Premium Features