• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need a little Silber Help

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Had my sled, 13 Pro with 13 Silber kit out last weekend around 1500 ft. Ran good just need to dial in my numbers. Pulled it out of the trailer on Sunday night ran good. Just tried to start it about 15 minutes ago to verify dobeck numbers , in the garage at 40 Degrees F, it started up second pull, looked down at the gauges and saw green and blue, started running rich and then went to 3 amber ( must be yellow) and blue on 8. It died and now won't start back up?

Any idea of where to start with this one?

Cheers
Shawn

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Throw some new plugs in her and see if she starts...

I know if you do not allow the sled to come up to temp before moving her and shutting down it can go into a limp mode dumping fuel... See if new plugs fix and if not... Will have to go from there

Last edited:
X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks AK :)

I will be pulling plugs in the next hour after the little guy goes down for a nap. Figured it flooded out from seeing blue and throwing fuel.

Didn't try to move it as it's been in the garage all week, was just going to start it, let it idle for 5 and verify the dobeck controller numbers. It idled for about 5 second's then the number's got weird.

- It's the dobeck controller on the 13 kits.
- Garage is heated so there has been plenty of time for stuff to dry out.

Thanks for your help guys! The help on here is what makes this place great. Worth it's weight in gold! While Pro's and Turbo's are not my forte, I have committed a lot knowledge in the Doo section over the years. Just keep paying it forward.

Will keep you posted on plugs

Cheers
Shawn

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Ya let us know how it goes...

Its either in that mode or a sensor has gone bad or ready wrong for some reason. The blue is sensing boost.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Pulled the plugs, barely wet, just clean them with the (blue container) torch, very little carbon build up. I was going to put in new plugs but found out I had bought BR9ES vs the plugs that came in the sled, BPR9ES . The previous gap was .0255 so I brought it down to .020. Re-installed the hood, pulled the rope same thing, not running and the Dobeck showing blue boost ( saw green but didn't look if it was solid or blinking) . Decide to give it some gas to see if it would run and here is what I got, after 15 seconds of trying to get my camera out (youtube video below) now keep in mind I am cycling the throttle between 1/4 and 1/2 to make it run. When the sled died it was because I let off the gas.

http://youtu.be/3gxoCEjC5C0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxoCEjC5C0

Cheers
Shawn

Last edited:

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Its reading boost for some reason... Unplug the controller and see hows she idles then.

If that fixes it plug it back in and see.. If she still does it try unplug the MAP sensor in the throttle body.. See if anything changes..

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
First Pro and Turbo

It should idle and no issues with the controller unhooked?

Seem's like it should but want to play on the edge of safe....that is what turbo's are for.. safe :)

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Its reading boost for some reason... Unplug the controller and see hows she idles then.

If that fixes it plug it back in and see.. If she still does it try unplug the MAP sensor in the throttle body.. See if anything changes..

Is this the MAP Sensor your talking about (see attached) ? Not the OEM T-Map off the Silicon Tube?

Tmap Throttle Bottle.jpg

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Update: With New Video below. When I ran the sled with the controller unhooked I had forgot to hook the PTO spark plug up. I hooked it up, took a video and posted it below. It idled normal but then died.

Went out to the garage, disconnected the Dobeck, started the sled. It ran a little cleaner , but still ran like crap. Reconnected the controller and still did the same thing.

When I disconnect the MAP sensor do I leave the Dobeck connected?

Cheers
Shawn

Last edited:

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
My thought was once you pulled the box it would run good because this would take it out of the loop, if this was the case I was going to lean towards the sensor but since the sled still does not run right I would think were back to the stock equipment.

Is there any check lights on..

You may zip tie the throttle sensor/TPS close to see if there is a issue there..

For some reason the sled thinks it should be giving full fuel... The throttle sensor and map sensor are really the only thing to mess this up...

You may need to talk to Justin on Monday...

You could try disconnecting the factory T map as well and reconnect to make sure the connection is good.

With that blue light on it is sensing boost

Last edited:

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
One other test to see if one of the secondary injectors are stuck open is to take a pair of vise grip to the fuel line going to the secondary injectors and let idle for a little bit to see if this clears it up.

The weird thing is, from what I can see from your video is that the blue light is on as soon as you start it. This only comes on when the sensor in the throttle body senses boost. Try unplugging that as a separate test .

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
At the same time you AFR shows lean... How do your plugs look after all this trying to keep it running.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
At the same time you AFR shows lean... How do your plugs look after all this trying to keep it running.

I have not pulled the plugs since the video. I pulled them after my first post. The top end was rebuilt at the end of the season last year. Based on the shape of the plugs they looked like plugs with 50 some miles, last weekend, of which had a nice film on them, from the start idle process in the garage, but at the core looked good. I would safely say they represent the AFR numbers I witnessed over the weekend to a tee, with the exception of being a little wet.

Now I unpluged the box and ran better, but did notice the classic wet spot, after this, in the belly pan from to much oil and gas. I don't think the engine would be pushing enough volume at 2000 RPM for a sloppy mix of oil and gas in the y pipe to create a bog in some way??? Just thinking out loud.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
One other test to see if one of the secondary injectors are stuck open is to take a pair of vise grip to the fuel line going to the secondary injectors and let idle for a little bit to see if this clears it up.

The weird thing is, from what I can see from your video is that the blue light is on as soon as you start it. This only comes on when the sensor in the throttle body senses boost. Try unplugging that as a separate test .

My next test is to disconnect that sensor in the picture above. Won't be able to play with that for another hour or two until the little monster goes to sleep for the night.

So for now I will be a keyboard bandit :)

I don't know if this has any effect but my fuel is 50/50 Race 110/ Clean 91, at 1000ft and running polaris semi synthetic 100 to 1 in the tank for extra precaution.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
No, your box should not be showing those colors at idle so something is telling it something it should not.

I was only asking about the plugs to make sure it was indeed giving to much fuel as to not enough. The AFR can be funky so was just checking.

Family first!!!

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
My thought was once you pulled the box it would run good because this would take it out of the loop, if this was the case I was going to lean towards the sensor but since the sled still does not run right I would think were back to the stock equipment.

Is there any check lights on..

You may zip tie the throttle sensor/TPS close to see if there is a issue there..

For some reason the sled thinks it should be giving full fuel... The throttle sensor and map sensor are really the only thing to mess this up...

You may need to talk to Justin on Monday...

You could try disconnecting the factory T map as well and reconnect to make sure the connection is good.

With that blue light on it is sensing boost

No check engine lights... just weird lights on the controller. Weird part is the sled was running good outside a few control box settings last Sunday. Pulled it into the garage after a 4 hr car ride home, 500 feet max elevation change, sled ran good. Parked it for 6 days and now it's acting up. It hasn't moved, but just went from -10 to +/- 50 for the week sitting and thawing.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Well at idle it is suppose to run as stock... It runs off the stock ecu with the fuel pressure controlling your idle AFR. The box helps control the sled from cruise up and allows the secondary injectors to spray once it reads boost from the sensor in the throttle body. It is possible for one or both of the secondary injectors to be stuck open allowing fuel to dump in.

First unplug that sensor and see what happens.

Next try clamping the fuel line to the secondary injectors.

If all else fails get insurance and set on fire... hahahahaha... Joking!!!!

Premium Features