• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 RMK 600 heat related engine fail

S
Jan 29, 2017
I have a 2012 RMK 600 that I just got with 1900 miles on it, last Sunday I was out riding, made it about 7 miles (15-20 minutes) and it died on me like the kill switch was hit. I waited a few minutes, pulled the rope and it fired back up but ran like crap, the longer it cools, the better it runs.

Replaced the voltage regulator and took it out again tonight, ran great for 15 minutes or so and then died, this time it took longer for it to start back up and when it first died the rope pulled really hard. fired back up after about 10 min, once again ran like crap (1 cylinder?). Another 5 min and it starts right up and sounds fine.

Any ideas?

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Not uncommon for a bad VR to damage the ECU. Some say that you can pull the ECU and look at the backside for any bubbling due to heat damage caused by a VR failure. I've also been told you can "sniff" the ECU to determine if it got fried.

You may have an intermittent issue with your stator.

S
Jan 29, 2017
Not uncommon for a bad VR to damage the ECU. Some say that you can pull the ECU and look at the backside for any bubbling due to heat damage caused by a VR failure. I've also been told you can "sniff" the ECU to determine if it got fried.

You may have an intermittent issue with your stator.

Stator at this point makes sense to me, Like I said, I tried a brand new VR and it had the exact same problem almost to the minute of riding until it failed, I dont think it is a VR or a ECU, would the sled run at all if the ECU was damaged?

Premium Features