For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2018, 08:44 PM
Currently: Payin for parts and praying for SNOW!!!
wanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond repute
Default 16 XM 800 ETEC Lost Compression

New to the ETEC's, picked up a 16' with 2400 miles. As far as i could tell it ran like a top! Rode it twice no problem lots of power. Found it has a exhaust leak at the manifold to head due to a missing bolt made appropriate repair and 20 miles into Cooke City lost all compression on the Mag side. Plug looked a little oily but not covered with metal fragments or anything. I have not torn it down yet. Looking for any input or thoughts to start me in the right direction. Thanks

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 04-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Currently: SUMMER SUCKS!
sledsrock has a reputation beyond reputesledsrock has a reputation beyond reputesledsrock has a reputation beyond reputesledsrock has a reputation beyond reputesledsrock has a reputation beyond reputesledsrock has a reputation beyond reputesledsrock has a reputation beyond reputesledsrock has a reputation beyond reputesledsrock has a reputation beyond reputesledsrock has a reputation beyond reputesledsrock has a reputation beyond repute

A leak down test before you open it up would be the most proper way to start. If it were me, I’d drop a borescope down in the spark plug hole and see what things look like or just pull the head and look.

The Following User Says Thank You to sledsrock For This Useful Post:
wanderingleif (04-16-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 03:17 PM
Currently: Mechanic for and Advisor to SHR
Basic Member
FEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond repute

Check fuel pressure. The fuel pressure regulator can dis-lodge from the housing causing a drop in fuel pressure which can possibly lead to a lean condition. While you are at it, replace the fuel filter. I am going to assume you verified all 8 Y-Pipe bolts are in place after repairs.

The drain what fuel you can and replace with fresh along with a bottle of iso to eliminate possible water in the fuel.

Finally, when the piston is out, take a pic and post it.

The Following User Says Thank You to FEZ For This Useful Post:
wanderingleif (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 PM
Currently: Payin for parts and praying for SNOW!!!
wanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond reputewanderingleif has a reputation beyond repute

All y-pipe bolts present and accounted for. I assume your suggesting possible low fuel pressure could cause the cylinder to burn down? I'm gonna open it up this weekend. I'm guessing ill find either a stuck ring or cylinder lining that has been worn away? I've worked on cars/trucks my whole life but 2-strokes are relativity new to me..... Ill post some picks of my discovery.