• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 Etec engine overhaul

kfa670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Checked the run-out on my turbo sled the other day. .012-.013 any which way I measured it. Ran fine, just thought it was time for a check up. Measured my newer 16 T3 and its sitting at about .0015.

So time for a rebuild.

I need some input on what this ordeal should cost. I pulled the engine and have it ready to go to a my dealer...

And they want 2400 and change for a remanned crank, pistons, etc. Basically a refreshed engine.

This seems a litte excessive to me. Hell on eBay right now a guy can get a 16 etec 800 engine (400 miles btw) with extras for 2300 bucks and free shipping.

Am I missing something on this rebuild cost?

Thanks for any input

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Canada eh?

If you are in Canada you get the privilege of unfortunately paying a little more.
US$ we are $1700 to $2100 for a short block or rebuild (on a 2009) as long as everything is in good shape (not blown up - your core is OK). So $2400 might not be that far off.

Last edited:

kfa670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I'm tempted to acquire the parts and take a crack at the rebuild myself.

I have the service manual and a shop and am halfway savvy at this kind of thing.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
My concern with that is using your case that has been subject to a 14lb clutch spinning at 8k rpm with so much runout. The crank bearings may have beat the case out where they are not getting enough bearing crush to be held properly. Otherwise it's not too bad to assemble a 2 stroke engine. Maybe having a good shop line hone the case would be a good idea? I'm not super familiar with the 800r but that case issue was a real problem on some Polaris 800 engines, especially after the run out gets to be so high. Many snap the crank when runout is near there.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
My concern with that is using your case that has been subject to a 14lb clutch spinning at 8k rpm with so much runout. The crank bearings may have beat the case out where they are not getting enough bearing crush to be held properly. Otherwise it's not too bad to assemble a 2 stroke engine. Maybe having a good shop line hone the case would be a good idea? I'm not super familiar with the 800r but that case issue was a real problem on some Polaris 800 engines, especially after the run out gets to be so high. Many snap the crank when runout is near there.

No case issues on the 800R.

With a turbo, stock rods are the fail point. Also if you are gonna build a motor, it would be wise to FIRST true the crank, then properly grease it before installing.

I have seen New Doo cranks @ .001 and @ .0024. Big gamble IMO.

kfa670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Leaning toward a SHR rebuild.

1600 plus shipping of course. Impressed me with both price and what they will build me. Basically a turbo spec engine.

You guys wouldn't believe some of the quotes I have gotten. The price has only gone up from 2400

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Leaning toward a SHR rebuild.

1600 plus shipping of course. Impressed me with both price and what they will build me. Basically a turbo spec engine.

You guys wouldn't believe some of the quotes I have gotten. The price has only gone up from 2400

...good to see!

Ace

kfa670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Would it be wise to have the primary balanced as well? I planned on rebuilding it but have read mixed views on balancing. Is that something you guys do at SHR?

Premium Features