• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What’s Next?

C
Dec 14, 2020
My local dealer had some claims. Whether he actually knows anything or not is purely speculation.

He claimed they're having lag issues with their factory turbo system, and won't release it until it comes on smoothly and rides smooth all the way through.

He also claimed they may do a 900 as a stop-gap to the turbo for a few years, maybe even keep it 900 with turbo. The 900 would get them to the top of the NA power heap... maybe.

I would very much appreciate if they licensed the mtntk turbo oiling system with just fogging the intake with 2t oil. No extra oil system would be damn nice.

We went to Cooke a few weeks ago, Epic powder, and I finally found some places I was powering out on my pro. 99% of the time commitment and some speed would get me over, I did have to sidehill and work a few hills back and forth to climb them but nothing that wasn't fun. I hopped on my buddies turbo m8000 and damn, was it nice to have that extra hp (he's running the boondocker in 220hp tune, it was running 8-10psi of boost that high). On the flip side, my buddy said his next sled will be a polaris simply because of the way they jump on top of the snow. He's really tired of the trench-fest on his cat.
That said, the only stucks I had were rescuing the kids that thought they were pro tree riders. They planted their sleds in creeks and trees in bottomless powder. We could have buried a truck in some of the holes we dug. I was able to get out by myself with a little shovel action in 10 minutes easily, while they spent an hour or more digging and packing to get their cats out.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My local dealer had some claims. Whether he actually knows anything or not is purely speculation.

He claimed they're having lag issues with their factory turbo system, and won't release it until it comes on smoothly and rides smooth all the way through.

He also claimed they may do a 900 as a stop-gap to the turbo for a few years, maybe even keep it 900 with turbo. The 900 would get them to the top of the NA power heap... maybe.

I would very much appreciate if they licensed the mtntk turbo oiling system with just fogging the intake with 2t oil. No extra oil system would be damn nice.

We went to Cooke a few weeks ago, Epic powder, and I finally found some places I was powering out on my pro. 99% of the time commitment and some speed would get me over, I did have to sidehill and work a few hills back and forth to climb them but nothing that wasn't fun. I hopped on my buddies turbo m8000 and damn, was it nice to have that extra hp (he's running the boondocker in 220hp tune, it was running 8-10psi of boost that high). On the flip side, my buddy said his next sled will be a polaris simply because of the way they jump on top of the snow. He's really tired of the trench-fest on his cat.
That said, the only stucks I had were rescuing the kids that thought they were pro tree riders. They planted their sleds in creeks and trees in bottomless powder. We could have buried a truck in some of the holes we dug. I was able to get out by myself with a little shovel action in 10 minutes easily, while they spent an hour or more digging and packing to get their cats out.
I heard similar as what your dealer is telling you. The race tune is working well for the turbo but the stock tune is not meeting EPA. Did not hear about the lag. I will be happy with a N/A for the altitude I ride.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
I heard they got tired of all the test riders telling them the ski doo turbo ran better ?‍♂️
It is shocking how good the Doo turbo runs. I got the chance to ride one last time in IP for few minutes. Engine is spot on, the chassis not so much LOL. It does not surprise me in the least that Polaris cant get the tune right since they still cant after few years trying on the 850.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I think Poo is still working on their 2008 800 dragon tune. Maybe they just got lucky with the CFI2 800ho map.

Trying to get an EPA cert turbo tune without DI might be a tough cliff to climb.

T
Nov 11, 2008
I think Poo is still working on their 2008 800 dragon tune. Maybe they just got lucky with the CFI2 800ho map.

Trying to get an EPA cert turbo tune without DI might be a tough cliff to climb.

Pretty much why it would hold up Polaris from having a factory turbo.

And who wants to be a guinea pig for a new DI 840-900cc Turbo?

Or maybe 900 DI this year, turbo 900 DI 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
It is shocking how good the Doo turbo runs. I got the chance to ride one last time in IP for few minutes. Engine is spot on, the chassis not so much LOL. It does not surprise me in the least that Polaris cant get the tune right since they still cant after few years trying on the 850.

There is a place in the market for polaris to take advantage of........ (specifically oem pump gas at 180-190 hp with the ability to tune it to 220-230 on a racegas mix)

The doo factory turbo can only flow 4.5 ish lbs of boost. (Silber stage 3 tune gets you this at sea level)

After that you are looking at swapping the unit.

C
Dec 14, 2020

I haven't looked for BRP patents, but why doesn't polaris just give in to direct injection?

And I noticed when looking for a used sled how many pro's had fuel controllers and were being sold as "stock with tune". I had thought that was crap, they were hiding the turbo miles. Turns out after reading on here I should have grabbed one with a controller already!
I did notice riding with my buddy with a 11 800 155, vs my 14 800 163, he used a hell of a lot more gas. We were always turning around when he was at 1/4 or less, and I was still at half tank. Huge change to the fueling at part throttle there. (I was consistently putting on more miles and doing more screwing off also).

C
Dec 14, 2020
Pretty much why it would hold up Polaris from having a factory turbo.

And who wants to be a guinea pig for a new DI 840-900cc Turbo?

Or maybe 900 DI this year, turbo 900 DI 2023.

IF I was buying brand new I'd take the 4 year warranty and just add gas and oil. Depending on miles, sell it before the warranty is up or keep it if it's trouble free. A NA 900 with the same parts Carl's is using (if their claim of factory parts is correct it's stupid not to) wouldn't be bad.

I'd also keep my old pro in the garage just in case.

It would be cool to see a high elevation compression ratio. Simply order your sled with high or low elevation, get clutching and compression both for 0-5,5-10k. I know the first thing I did was look at heads to get the compression/power up for cheap since I unload at 6000', and the only time I'm running below that is at my house at 4000' to load/unload.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Recall that BRP bought their etec DI technology when they purchased Evinrude (which was killed off last year) out of the OMC bankruptcy about two decades ago. etec is actually based on FICHT tech (german - don't know licensing agreement). DI is wickedly complex, but the much broader global outboard market helped finance its development. No such market for 2S sled tech. Big wall for Poo to climb to develop DI themselves without licensing or patent expiration. Maybe it's mission impossible for a 2S turbo to meet EPA regs without DI.

Can see huge differences in fuel mileage due to clutching. Gearing, too, of course, but clutching can be even more dramatic.

The 2003 Summit 800ho was high altitude - high compression head - only. Could not run that sled down low. In 2004, they rolled it out with a different MPEM than the MXZ (the Summit MPEM retarded timing to keep it alive - it worked). Some slednecks ran the 04 800ho summit head on their 04 800ho MXZs, but needed a race gas mix, or the Summit MPEM and DPM, to keep from squeaking pistons at low elevation. So, an OEM has kinda offered two versions before.

Last edited:

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
It's wild that Polaris has kept the lid on so tight over this whole turbo issue. A few years ago they had that way cool marketing plan where they kept sending out little teasers which was alot more fun! I think that was for the Axys release if I'm not mistaken. Now if anybody says anything they get in serious trouble. I've talked to two people now who claimed to have ridden it and they say it absolutely rips. One was an Arctic Cat salesman so not bound by Polaris's gag order. He said Cat's turbo is one to two years out yet and that the Polaris turbo was a beast - super light, super fun. I guess we'll see in a couple weeks. I don't think Polaris has even given a release date yet have they?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

Well the Ski-doo does not have DI for the secondary injectors so how are they meeting EPA on boost? The reality is they test them at cruising speeds so the Polaris already meets this criteria. Meeting EPA is no problem, doing it with a substantial power increase is the hard part.

Pow-Shredder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2015
The Hills
Supposedly a dealer leaked a picture of the 2022 yesterday. How has that picture not hit Snowest yet?

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
with lynx in North America Polaris is better get his head out of his ass there goes another slice of the market. although small but we'll see in the future.

following skidoo 2 years back is getting old poo, the 840 is not as good as doo's 850 so better not half ass a turbo to chase skidoo on his own turf another time. it's too late we just need to know

if youre only bringijg a new chassis on the 840 it better be better than the axys by a mile AND lighter. not sure it's possible

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Wait until you see the cat reveal and then you will feel really good about polaris. They will not kick a turbo out in a new chassis. They will sell more sleds by putting out new chassis for 22 and turbo for 23. Polaris will do more than anyone for 22. Just a matter if its enough for you.

Premium Features